Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Quick Release I need your input..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

...... having the ability to take it off is quite nice.
..... The difference in handling is minimal, though i find I miss the extra lights/turn signals and a place to put my helmet when it's off.

Name:  IMG_2333_2.jpg
Views: 3058
Size:  190.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1542_2-Panorama_2-1.jpg
Views: 2375
Size:  85.7 KB

Old 02-03-2012, 02:44 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

On trips with the O'lady the detach pack is great!! For around town i prefer the pack off and just the backrest on...Not a big fan of the box...The lights are nice but i added the BAL tail-light so i can be seen...
As far as taking it on and off, i have a 04 and as long as pack is empty its a breeze.Dont know about 09 up..

Old 02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
nivensid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdemarse
If it was just the cost of the detachable tour pack hardware it wouldnt be bad. but add in all the hidden parts you need and a seat blah blah blah its pretty damn expensive.
What all do you need to do the job? I know of the detachable hardware, hidden antenna in the fairing, solo seat and a rack to hold the tour pak when it is off the bike?

Old 02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a tour pak. I use it less then 5% of the time.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Steveamsp
Intermediate

Bought my '08 Road Glide last summer, it already had the quick-detach on both the trunk and a passenger backrest from the previous owner. For most around-town riding, I leave the trunk off, but if I need to haul something I put it on. Only takes a couple minutes to swap, half of which is getting the antenna moved around properly.

I definitely notice the handling difference, especially when it's windy. It's really more the sail area, as opposed to the weight that seems to matter. I also really like the appearance with the trunk off, especially now that I picked up the BaggerShield windshield, so I leave it in the lower position for most of my around town riding when it's hot out.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:09 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer

Originally Posted by KWC6
I have a 2011 Ultra Limited. I'm considering the Tour Pack Quick Release. HD says without the tour pack it handles easier. The cost of materials and labor is about $800 ish.... If you have this what are your experiences with it such as easy to take off and put back on, any regrets about the purchase? Is it worth the expense? Thanks.
I remove mine a lot, but only because I want to. It makes no difference at all in handling, you'll never miss it or nor realize it's there.

If you like the look, add the QD. If you don't care, leave it as is.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:55 PM
LeeH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered one for my '11 SG last week. Got the following for a complete install:
Tour Pak backrest
Keyed lock
Detachable 2-Up Tour-Pak® Rack
King Tour Pak
Docking Hardware kit 4 point
Luggage rack LED
Air Wing luggage rack
and all the nuts, washers, etc to complete the install
Paid $1453.54 for everything, which is cheaper than the online guys...

Old 02-04-2012, 05:51 PM
mr2fast4u
Advanced

Can't speak for everyone but the difference in the handling to me is huge I feel like I am back in my softail

Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love having the ability to install/remove the tour-pak depending on the ride plan. Can't beat the tour-pak for long distance touring but the bike does feel notably more flickable with it off and looks sportier as well so I prefer to remove it for solo day rides.

Even with three sets of tour-pak lights installed (side marker lights, interior light and an Air Wing brake light) two quick-connects and it's off. Having a tour-pak rack does make the tour-pak easier to remove/install.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Markymannn
C'mon the TP weighs like 10#............unless you have it filled with cinder blocks
Wrong. My stripped-down (no lights, antennas, backrest, speakers, etc)chopped tp weighs more than 10 pounds.

The detach kit is the way to go. On or off in under 30 seconds. But I'm trying to understand - why does it cost so much for your bike? Mine all total, was like $300 from Chicago HD.

Quick Reply: Tour Pack Quick Release I need your input..