Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap plate prep question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
dc1057
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cam swap plate prep question

Hi Guy's

I've done a search looking for the answer on previous threads but haven't found a simple yes or no responce.

I have a 2011 FLHX 103 that is getting new cams. Should I add the baisley spring or just leave the stock spring in the plate alone? Getting around 8 lbs at idle when hot and see between 28 to 32 at cruising RPMs.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
DC

Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

You can't just post yes or no, it's too short of a response.
No

Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
dc1057
Cruiser

You're right.

I guess I should have said yes or no and why.

Thanks for responding!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not change the oil pump to a Feuling pump. More pressure and scavenging ability.
Not cheap but since you have it opened up, just a thought.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Why not change the oil pump to a Feuling pump. More pressure and scavenging ability.
Not cheap but since you have it opened up, just a thought.
The bike is a 2011, already has the improved pump, no real benefit to adding a Feuling pump.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

The Fueling Pump and the Baisley spring were intended to improve the oil system from the pre-07 bikes with the anemic pump, 07 up have a pump comparable to the Feuling.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
dc1057
Cruiser

fabrik8r
Thanks for the descriptive responce. That's what I was hoping for.

Guess it's time to sell the Baisely spring to someone who can use it.
DC

Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dc1057
fabrik8r
Thanks for the descriptive responce. That's what I was hoping for.

Guess it's time to sell the Baisely spring to someone who can use it.
DC
Not saying it wouldn't bump your pressure up a little bit, and it definately won't hurt anything, but is it necessary. There are a lot of high mileage pre-07s with the little pump that haven't suffered oil system failure. HVLP, High Volume, Low Pressure is a key element to the design of the Twin Cam oiling system.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am installing the Baisely spring and valve that they have ground to seal better. I believe this is a good idea to do and I will explain why. I teach thermodynamics and fluid flow, so I will give you my perspective on why.

First, the harley oil pump is a positive displacement pump. So, for a given RPM it will flow the same amount of oil. That is one of the reasons at idle you see a lower pressure along with the oil being hot or less viscous. So even with the Baisely spring you will see less pressure at idle versus 2500 rpm.

Secondly, the bypass valve limits pressure and flow through the system by bypassing oil form the discharge side of the pump to the suction side of the pump. The flow rate through the system is directly related to the delta pressure(P). The simple formula for flow is flow=square root of the delta P. By slightly increasing the pressure, bailsely only increases pressure about 5 psig, you will get two things.

One the increased pressure will provide better pressure at lifters to allow them to maintain piston pressure in the lifter, no collapse. Probably not a big deal for stock motors, but it can't hurt.

Secondly, it will slightly increase flow throughout the entire system because of the increased delta P. Remember most of the oil passages are restricted or have orifices in them, but still with increased pressure the flow will be greater.

There is really no need for a larger pump if you are bypassing fluid to maintain pressure. The system cannot handle the flow the pump is already putting out, ergo the BYPASS valve.

All in all I think the Bailsely upgrade is a good one. It is necessary, probably not. It is cheap and simple to do, especially if you are already into the Cam support plate. It will provide some increased pressure and oil flow through the system. Probably not a lot, but a little more pressure and flow probably is not a bad thing.

Harley's are mainly a flow system more so than a pressure system, mainly use roller bearings. But, there are some areas where pressure is important, i.e., lifters, cam journals, piston cooling jets,etc. Basically, oil pressure and flow = good, no oil= bad. Just my opinion.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Spur56, thanks for the insight and a much better explanation. I'm sending you a PM.

Quick Reply: Cam swap plate prep question