Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more power!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM
theultraclassic
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more power!

What are the best, low cost ways to increase the power of an '08 Ultra Classic?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If you haven't done the Stage I upgrade yet, install some free flowing slipons, the SE A/C, replace cams with Andrews 48, install SERT or TTS Mastertune fuel management and tune. Low cost, haven't you figured out yet that there is nothing "low cost" about owning and operating a Harley? You are about the pay the "Harley tax".

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

welcome to the forums- what's your starting point?

if stock, a hi flow air cleaner and freer flowing mufflers and a tuning adjustment is the first thing to do.

pick up 7 to 10 HP depending on components chosen

for air cleaner, I use the Ness Big Sucker, under $120 on ebay from easternpc- this has a chrome backing plate which complements the black/chrome motor and a reusable washable, oiled filter media.

for tuning I use nightrider.com XIEDS, maybe $130- these are a resistor pack that that plugs inline with your o2 sensors. under most conditions the bike will run slightly richer. there are other more complex ( read: expensive) devices. each has pros and cons complex devices may have more to go wrong, or "settings" which must be massaged to work properly.

mufflers- depends what you like. high quality used slip ons can be $200 a set or so- many riders play muffler bingo until they find the "right" set- and the take offs end up on the classified section of the forums or the local craigslist.

my "stage 1" is under the $600 mark, the best bang for buck you'll ever get on a Harley.

next mod would be cams, at which point a more comprehensive tuning device would need to replace the xieds, then probably beef up the clutch and compensating sprocket

after that head work, bigger bore, bigger injectors...and on and on

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-17-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
If you haven't done the Stage I upgrade yet, install some free flowing slipons, the SE A/C, replace cams with Andrews 48, install SERT or TTS Mastertune fuel management and tune. Low cost, haven't you figured out yet that there is nothing "low cost" about owning and operating a Harley? You are about the pay the "Harley tax".
Not just Harleys, I rode Metrics for about 10yrs and theres very little difference in prices for aftermarket or mechanical work between the two.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by theultraclassic
What are the best, low cost ways to increase the power of an '08 Ultra Classic?
An open question like that has no answer - give us some better clues. There are as many solutions as TC owners on here! Spend a little time reading through recent posts to see what some of the options are.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

After viewing Harley riders, myself included, the cheapest way to increase power is to loose weight. I ain't talking about the bike.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

The best bang for the money is a air cleaner upgrade, and slip on mufflers, with EFI map
tuner {lots of them out there} with a good dyno tune. IMO

Old 02-17-2012, 11:31 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Trade it for a sport bike, you may even make money on the deal.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:49 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Or, you could lower the final drive by installing a 30T trans pulley and 68T Sporty rear wheel pulley; all with the OEM belt. Cheap man's big bore upgrade.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

First off, power, no matter what has some expense to it. Like the guys said, if stock, hi-flow air filter, good slip ons and some tuner. How do you save money ..... MAKE A PLAN. If you start here with XIEDs, a Fuel Pak or other limited tuner, it is money wasted if you decide to do a cam. If you have a good plan, you might spend a little more up front, but you won't be throwing anything away after that.

So, what I described is the not the "best bang for the buck", the cam is, but you need the prior stuff to get to the cam stage. However, that first stage, even without the cam is a huge improvement over stock.

I highly recommend you discuss your options with Fuel Moto, great guys to work with and will offer you sound advice within your budget and won't try to upsell.

Quick Reply: Need more power!