Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Hit Your Rev Limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
seeing how as how torque is dropping off at higher rpms, it's time to up shift.

the V twin motor will not reliably rev over 6000 rpms for long.

it's a matter of geometry, and again shows the superiority of an overhead cam design

Mike

Sounds good in theory, but I can't up shift, there is no 7th gear.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Dana Lee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These engines arent designed to do high rpms... The power curve falls way off so what's the gain?

Thats what Rice is for :-)

Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by streetglidin
I have never seen the point in hitting the rev limiter,there is no power there anyway. Its ideal to shift at peak torque rpm
Exactly. Unnecessary and more likely to blow something than accomplish anything else.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't hit mine much, but I have been known to bottom out quite frequently

Old 02-25-2012, 06:54 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I run my scoot hard all the time and not once do I recall hitting the limiter, I can feel when there's no more power in the gear I'm in and shift accordingly.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
I was riding with a group of guys last weekend. While making a stop for lunch, one of the dudes asked about my bike and the PCIII. Told him the bike ran great, and that I especially loved the rev limiter bump to 6,200 rpms. At that point I received a several blank stares and puzzled looks. It seems none of them ever tag their rev limiter … even with the stock setting.

Is it just me or does that sound odd to you?

Hell, I bang the limiter in my car almost every time I drive it.

FYI – With the higher PCIII setting I no longer reach the limit.

I agree that on a HD this is not something you should do consistently, but now and then just ain’t gonna hurt it. It tends to occur when my regular buddies and I are leaving a stop light. One of us goes full throttle and the chase is on. With all that noise it just sometimes happens. I only ask the question because of the surprised reaction I received the other day. They were not the guys I usually ride with, and just stared at me like I was speaking French.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 AM
BackAt5O
Tourer

I hit mine occasionally, usually when riding with loud bikes. The main reason engines that hit the rev limiter often come apart is the owner adding more go fast stuff. If hitting 6000 rpm shortens the life of a engine, it wasn't going to run long anyway.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The OEM rev limiter is set at about 5400, gurantee that considers a wide margin of operational safety, since you can raise it to 6200 without any problems via PC or HD download. While the power does start to drop off in the high RPMS, the bike doesn't stop pulling the moment the TQ curve breaks over the apex, the machine is already in motion so it doesn't require as much power to continue accelerating. They are designed to do at least what the rev limiter allows, hence the rev limiter. If they were only good to 3500 RPMs, thats where the rev limiter would be set. That shifting at peak TQ technique is a much more abrupt power transition between gears, power drops back further in the curve in the next higher gear than it does shifting after the curve starts to dip, which puts you at a stonger point in the curve in the next higher gear. Theres also nothing wrong with riding easy, but my bike, I pay the bills, I do the wrenchin, I ride it the way I want. You can make up all the excuses in the world to ride it like a moped if you want to but there is really no need to look for reasons why somebody else is wrong for the way they ride. It ain't like I'm riding your bike hard.

The following 2 users liked this post by fabrik8r:
NELS (05-31-2020), Orange_Crush (10-23-2020)
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 AM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
The OEM rev limiter is set at about 5400, gurantee that considers a wide margin of operational safety, since you can raise it to 6200 without any problems via PC or HD download. While the power does start to drop off in the high RPMS, the bike doesn't stop pulling the moment the TQ curve breaks over the apex, the machine is already in motion so it doesn't require as much power to continue accelerating. They are designed to do at least what the rev limiter allows, hence the rev limiter. If they were only good to 3500 RPMs, thats where the rev limiter would be set. That shifting at peak TQ technique is a much more abrupt power transition between gears, power drops back further in the curve in the next higher gear than it does shifting after the curve starts to dip, which puts you at a stonger point in the curve in the next higher gear. Theres also nothing wrong with riding easy, but my bike, I pay the bills, I do the wrenchin, I ride it the way I want. You can make up all the excuses in the world to ride it like a moped if you want to but there is really no need to look for reasons why somebody else is wrong for the way they ride. It ain't like I'm riding your bike hard.
I was thinking the same thing

Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 AM
dmathieu
Intermediate

I have never hit it and I ride hard at times. Is it posible my 05 RK doesn't have one?

Quick Reply: Do You Hit Your Rev Limiter?