Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Brother! I think you made a great choice! I loved my Street Glide, but it was my first Harley. I now own a Road Glide and love it even more. I haven't put too many miles on it as I bought it late last year, but I know I like it better

Originally Posted by firelttim
I just returned home from South Hampton HD in Mass. Ron and everyone else there was awesome. They set me up first with an RGU, then the EGUC Firefighter Edition, and finally the RGC. I liked the RGC best of all three: Lots of power, and with the detachable tour pack trunk option, I'll have a great solo touring for commuting with flexibility for when the Wife goes with me.

Thanks for everyone's helpful insights, I truly appreciate your wisdom.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 AM
firelttim
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update to my original post

Well, I rented RGC, RGU and the EGU. rode each one for two days and wife hated every one, the vibrations in the rear seat (tourpak and sissybar models) all caused her legs to go numb within 15 minutes. After facing the obvious decisions:

1. Buy what I want because I am the man, and the man rules the world,
2. get used to riding alone, (and sleeping in the dog house)

I continued my search after the above two options were no options at all for my sanity. I tried the Victory Vision with the wife on a 30 minute demo ride. 10 minutes into the ride, she's tapping me on the shoulder saying she's done looking, this is the one.

After 6 months and 6,000 miles, I couldn't be happier. I purchased an american made bike that gives an incredibly smooth ride, and we love it.

I just wish more HD riders we polite enough to wave back when we pass them on the open road.

So, if you are contemplating a comfortable bike for two up riding, try everything you can, test ride, rent, demo days, do it all. then pick the one you two are most comfortable on.

cheers all, and ride safely

The following users liked this post:
u wish u could ride (08-12-2017)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM
easybiker
Advanced

Originally Posted by JD HD
I have been looking at the same two for a while now myself, so maybe I can put what I've found in a nutshell for you. First, this is a loaded question your asking. Your going to find that people on both sides of the fence (fixed fairing vs batwing) have strong opinions on this and the subject has also been beat to death on the forums.

My opinion after renting both and extended test rides are as follows:

Ultra Classic has better wind and weather protection in stock trim. The windshield is much closer to you and does a pretty good job of diverting wind and rain around/over you. I also find the stereo is much easier to hear than on the Road Glide. The price you pay with the batwing though comes in handling. You can feel the extra weight of the faring and everything it houses in the bars when getting into turns. You also get some steering feedback behind large vehicles or windy days as the wind hits the fairing. I never found it to be unmanageable though. It is still a nimble bike and handles pretty well overall. Also my opinion, but the batwings are just beautiful classic looking bikes!

The Road Glide Ultra (or FUGLY, as it is sometimes called on here) definitely handles better, having lighter steering input since all the fairing weight is carried by the frame. The handle bar position is higher and farther forward with your wrists at straighter angles. Many hate the stock bars and change them out for Heritage bars, but I didn't seem to have any issues with them in the 1000 miles or so I was behind them. YMMV. It also seems to be more stable behind trucks or in cross winds. The bad: the windshield is much farther in front of you and the fairing itself seems to create a lot of turbulent air from underneath. This causes a very uncomfortable "buffeting" that is strong enough to shake your helmet and/or glasses beyond 50 mph or so. Most claim it is fixable with a different shield and some other relatively inexpensive modifications like Sancho's Wings.

Anyway, I like them both for different reasons. So much so, I haven't quite been able to pull the trigger yet on one or the other. I think I would lean toward the Road Glide if I could actually experience riding one where the buffeting has been fixed to a comfortable level. I just feel like its a big gamble (23K plus) to take on someone else's word. There are a few people who claim that they never could fix it and went back to the batwing. Some claim they would never go back to the batwing after having the Road Glide.

Your best bet is just to go ride them and see for yourself. If you rent, make sure the bikes are in good shape and that the shock's air pressure is set correctly (and tires of course). I had a UC rental that was an ill handling pig until I checked all the pressures and got them to the proper levels. I completely wrote the bike off as a potential purchase until I realized what the issue was.

Good luck.
What JD HD says is spot on. I owned a 2002 Glide and traded it on 2005 Ultra and then again on a 2009 Ultra only because I got a great deal or I would have gotten another Glide. I just picked my 2013 Road Glide Ultra and love it. I ride about 15,000 a year mostly traveling and feel the Glide is a much more comfortable touring bike. As far as wind buffet goes you need to replace the windshield. I put a MadStad windshield on and it solved all the buffet problems. After having experience with bikes the Glide gets my vote. Hope this helps. Enjoy the ride.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by firelttim
I tried the Victory Vision with the wife on a 30 minute demo ride. 10 minutes into the ride, she's tapping me on the shoulder saying she's done looking, this is the one.

After 6 months and 6,000 miles, I couldn't be happier. I purchased an american made bike that gives an incredibly smooth ride, and we love it.

I just wish more HD riders we polite enough to wave back when we pass them on the open road.

So, if you are contemplating a comfortable bike for two up riding, try everything you can, test ride, rent, demo days, do it all. then pick the one you two are most comfortable on.

cheers all, and ride safely
I hope you enjoy your new ride.

Now go to the Victory forum and wave at them.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:58 AM
RobolyBoboly
Stage II

You.
I have had the best of both worlds, I had a (2009) ROAD GLIDE, and now have a (2007) ULTRA CLASSIC. I guess it depends on the type of riding you do, for instance. Wind hits a ROAD GLIDE and an ULTRA CLASSIC totally different. When the wind hits the frame mounted fairing on the ROAD GLIDE, it pushes against the whole bike. When the wind hits the fork mounted fairing on the ULTRA CLASSIC, it still pushes against the whole bike, but can really make steering at high speeds a pretty educational experience in kind of a bad way. Hope this helps some!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

5 years!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:19 AM
RobolyBoboly
Stage II
Default Frame vs Fork Mounted Fairings!

I posted a quick reply, not sure where it ended up, I'm new here!
To give you my (TWO CENTS) I've had the best of both worlds. I had a (2009) Road Glide, and now have a (2007) ULTRA CLASSIC, both bikes are great, but wind gusts and high speed would make me go back to the ROAD GLIDE, if I were to do some seriously long trips. The frame mounted fairing doesn't budge, can't say the same for the fork mounted one, the diffence to me is just that, hope this helps!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:27 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

I understand if someone chooses a bike over the Road Glide but for God's sake why use the excuse that the instruments are too far away. What is it you want to do that can't be controlled by your fingers and thumbs right next to you?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:30 PM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Bringing it back from the dead!

Old 08-14-2017, 02:24 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Road Glide ULTRA or Ultra Classic? It's all personal preference. If you can get used to riding behind a fixed fairing, you'd love the RG I think. (I've loved it since I got mine.) But I've got thousands upon thousands of miles behind a frame mounted fairing back in the 70s,, LOL. (Vetter's Windjammers)

Quick Reply: Road Glide vs. Ultra Classic