Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question Oil Drain Plug...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts
Default Quick Question Oil Drain Plug...

It seems I have a bad seal on my oil drain plug. I have an 09 Ultra and I have had the shop do my oil changes thus far. I only have 400 miles on the new oil, so I don't want it drained and refilled. This was my plan... If the plug needs to be replaced in full or there is just an o-ring that can be replaced, get the new o-ring or new plug ready... Take out the existing drain plug, quickly cover the hole with my finger to stop all the oil from draining out, put in the new plug or new o-ring on the old plug and reinstall...?? This should at least save me from doing a complete oil change. But I am getting a bid tired of always putting a piece of cardboard under my bike so I don't get oil spots all over my garage and\or driveway... So..Good plan or bad? any suggestions and does the drain plug have a replaceable o-ring, or do I need to get a new plug?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

The Plug does have an o-ring.

I also cover the threads with Teflon Plumbing Tape just to be sure.

Your plan sounds workable, maybe easier with a helper.

You'll probably lose a little oil of course, but it's better than having to refill all 3.5 qts.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Talldog
The Plug does have an o-ring.

I also cover the threads with Teflon Plumbing Tape just to be sure.

Your plan sounds workable, maybe easier with a helper.

You'll probably lose a little oil of course, but it's better than having to refill all 3.5 qts.
Good call on the Teflon Plumbing Tape... So the drain plug has a "replaceable" o-ring is what you mean right? I will run to the Harley Shop and get an O-Ring. I have some teflon tape, I think I am going to give it a whirl. Will get one quart of oil to replace whatever leaks out...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:25 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, it's replaceable. The shop should have inspected it though and if there's only 400 miles on that oil seems to me that they overlooked it.

Do you have any friends that are pissin' you off lately? Take the bike for a nice 45 minute spin and come back and have said friend be the one that puts his finger in the hole while you change the o-ring.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Are you sure its actually from the oil drain plug? The exhaust bracket bolts at the bottom of the transmission side cover are well documented to come loose and allow transmission lubricant to leak out. This fluid will run down, along the front of the oil pan, and sometimes drip off of the corner of the oil pan near the oil pan plug. Check it out just to make sure you are on the right track.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Cornel
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I heard of the teflon tape solution before. Personally I think that introduces the risk of having tape residue/bits in the oil which in turn can clog oil passages.

If the threads in the oil pan and the oil plug are sound and cleaned every time the oil is changed, together with a new o-ring and proper torque on the oil plug is more than enough to prevent any leaks.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not going to work. At some point you will have to remove the oil filter which is much worse that what you are talking about.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Are you sure its actually from the oil drain plug? The exhaust bracket bolts at the bottom of the transmission side cover are well documented to come loose and allow transmission lubricant to leak out. This fluid will run down, along the front of the oil pan, and sometimes drip off of the corner of the oil pan near the oil pan plug. Check it out just to make sure you are on the right track.
Thanks for the tip, I will check that out before I do anything. The thing is, I had this oil change about right before I put it away for the winter. When got it out this March I notice a couple spots under it. Have been riding it and get spots under it every time I part it. There is a drip always right by the drain plug. I took it to the shop and they said, just keep an eye on it so they didn't have to drain all my oil, but they felt it was the drain plug o-ring. They said they would just replace it during my next oil change, but as I mentioned I am tired of chasing my bike around with a piece of cardboard. I'll look at what you suggest and see it I notice anything. Then try the drain plug. If that doesn't stop it, I'll take it back to the shop.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Not going to work. At some point you will have to remove the oil filter which is much worse that what you are talking about.
Not quite sure what you mean. The filter is changed each oil change.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should not have to use teflon or any other tape. The threads are straight cut. The O ring does the sealing not the threads. If I were you I would just drain the oil into a clean container and then replace the O ring. Then just put the oil back in. Simple 1,2,3. No rocket science needed here.

Quick Reply: Quick Question Oil Drain Plug...