Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use StarTron enzyme additive

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
FLPostman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use StarTron enzyme additive

Wondering if this StarTron additive is really doing something besides making my wallet lighter. Dealers here in FLA think its a "miracle cure" for ethanol problems. All of Fl pretty much has 10% or less ethanol at the fuel stations-there are some Marine places that sell the non-ethanol. I bit the bullet a few months ago, and got the StarTron concentrate. Mileage may have come up one or two mpg, but can't really tell because of the variances in how far you put the gas nozzle in. So I thought I would ask you guys. Is this just "snake oil"?

Associated question: I know that the tuners all have a check on/off for ethanol gas. If you check yes for ethanol, then use StarTron to negate it, would that alter the a/f?

I know that's pretty heavy for this early in the day, so I might have a brew while I "ponder'..

Postman

Old 03-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Avmech97
Road Master

I use it in my 09 RG & the 91 Geo Metro convertible I use for a commuter car and have not seen a huge difference but they both seem to run a bit smoother. The gas mileage seems to stay about the same.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:01 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Avmech97
I use it in my 09 RG & the 91 Geo Metro convertible I use for a commuter car and have not seen a huge difference but they both seem to run a bit smoother. The gas mileage seems to stay about the same.

Though I have no personal experience, I have only heard negatives about this product, while I normally hear positives about Sta-Bil and Seafoam. I have only used Sta-Bil Marine in my scoot and tractor which works very well.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

most of the US is running 10 to 15% ethanol ( thanks iowa senators).

and it's a reality that older fuel systems don't well tolerate it. it hardens the seals.
( and this is the real problem with small motors, lawn mowers, weed wackers etc. the seals are not up to snuff

while I won't comment directly on that product, I have been adding ScamTron shark repellant to my pool for years and it works !

I get it in a 2 pak with the elephant repellant that I use in the front yard.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-31-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The post above is the only negative I have ever heard, even though they give no explanation of what they heard.

I do however know several people that use it, and swear by it in their bikes and other equipment, I also use it and have had what seems to be good results. I have used it for sometime in my lawn equipment that others with the same equipment have had things happen to their gas tank lids/lines because of ethanol, but I have not had any of this. Is this because of the additive, I don't know, but it is the one thing that we have done different. Anyway, I like it and I buy on Amazon, because you can get a qt. bottle for around 24 dollars and it treats over 500 gallons, so it's only like 4 cents a gallon.

I have also used stabil in my boat and other things for years and years, I usually mix it up a little between the two, well actually three, every now and then I will throw in some seafoam as a cleaner about once every 4-6 weeks.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:23 PM
FLPostman
Tourer
Default Startron additive

Quote --"while I won't comment directly on that product, I have been adding ScamTron shark repellant to my pool for years and it works !

I get it in a 2 pak with the elephant repellant that I use in the front yard.

Mike[/QUOTE]"

Hahahhaha- That's about what I'm thinking on this product too..lol I guess it can't hurt..but......
That's a great response..lol--anyone else?

Postman

Last edited by FLPostman; 03-31-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:37 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

I used it for winter storage in place of Sta-Bil. in all of my stuff. (the bike and gas powered outdoor equipment) I didn't gum up, so for my purpose, it worked, I guess.

I think it would be a waste of money if you put in in every tankful of gas though. JMO

Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

For what? Why would you even think to drop this stuff in?
Fill er up, twist the grip and go!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:07 PM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have added it to the first few tanks so far this spring. Too soon to say if it is doing anything. FWIW the guy at my local small engine shop spoke highly of it. He said they have been seeing definite ethanol related damage to the rubber parts in the small engines, especially those that tend to sit for a while. If Startron does what it claims, then it seems that it would be beneficial. Long term benefits have yet to be determined. My Dad has been using it in his chainsaw and says it seems like it runs longer on a tank of gas. Not really a scientific study, but whatever. The guy he bought it from said he added it to his car for a trip from PA to Florida and back and his gas mileage averaged about 3 MPG better than without. The stuff isn't expensive. Depending on what concentration you get, a little goes a long way. Snake oil? Maybe. Cheap insurance? Time will tell, I guess.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It takes some effort and not really practical while traveling but corn free gas is available.

http://pure-gas.org/

Quick Reply: Anyone use StarTron enzyme additive