Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i have to remap with just adding slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Capt. Dana
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i have to remap with just adding slip ons

If i just put V&H Monster Round slip ons without changing head pipes or changing the intake do i have to do a remap on my 2012 street glide? Cant seem to get a straight answer on this, does anyone run with just slipons and no other modifications on a touring bike with no problems? Rinehart,Rush,CFR, all claim to be able to run a slipon from them without a remap, seems like you should be able to run the Monster Rounds.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:06 AM
RDKNG2011
Advanced

you don't have to.. but you should.. i ran gutted stockers for 1500 miles no problems at all.. but understand these bikes are lean from the factory.. anything you do to increase airflow in or out of the motor will only worsen the situation.. from what i've heard as long as you dont change the air cleaner or the head pipe your good to go

Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Capt. Dana
Stage III

Thanks for the input bro, I'm gonna put them on and see how it runs. If you ran with gutted mufflers i should be ok with the slipons. Eventually i will do the total package but i have the slipons now and want to hear the pipes a little.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 AM
jetsled
Intermediate

IMO your should get a good tune on any bike. The newer the bike, the leaner they run. A lean motor runs very hot and heat kills an engine. You will be glad you spent the money. runs cooler and runs like it should, not how the government thinks it should. I have a stock 96 with Stage 1 intake and slip-ons, oil cooler aswell. runs VERY GOOD and runs cooler than my older bikes with the stage 1 download. ride safe

Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 AM
RDKNG2011
Advanced

i said the same thing with the gutted pipes.. i just wanted to hear it.. got stuck in interstate traffic at 100 degrees swore to myself i'd never do that again..

new pipes and tune and it runs cool as a cucumber

good luck!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:30 AM
dfndr
Road Master

Why not just add some Xieds for a little over $100? Then, if you want to add intake it will still be ok. With Xied it will run cooler and better and you don't need a tuner, a dyno, or the expense or headache. I really wanted to avoid the dyno and the dealer download an bullshit charges and it all worked well with Rush full exhaust, Fuelmoto intake/filter and Xied. Just my experience. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Dana
If i just put V&H Monster Round slip ons without changing head pipes or changing the intake do i have to do a remap on my 2012 street glide? Cant seem to get a straight answer on this, does anyone run with just slipons and no other modifications on a touring bike with no problems? Rinehart,Rush,CFR, all claim to be able to run a slipon from them without a remap, seems like you should be able to run the Monster Rounds.
You do not need a remap with just pipes.
Typically that leads people to like the sound, then get it in their heads that "hey, it's smogged down, so I should spend the $$$$ and let her breath", at which point you will need something to richen it up.

They are de-tuned so badly out of the crate (emission friendly), and sound like rice burners, its natural to pipe them 1st and then look out..
The addiction begins.....

Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Just slip ons--no remap necessary (or useful). Slip-ons plus stage 1 air cleaner--remap required.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

No...use HT silicone (i.e. liquid copper) on the pipe/header joints to ensure good seal, torque & good to go...

Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

i put a pcv on my bike while it was bone stock,had heat and pining and surging.i can't imagine not tuning with any mods at all.

Quick Reply: Do i have to remap with just adding slip ons