Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help power duals

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:52 PM
les63
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help power duals

Ok I installed the power duals yesterday took a little test drive this morning noticed some poping. Checked things out leak at exhaust port. Took everything apart got two new se (flat) gaskets double checked the install and guess what exhaust port leak both heads just as before. Am open for suggestions at this point.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

You need to follow the v and h directions pretty close to tighten this and that bolt in this or that sequence. Did you pull the old exhaust gaskets out of the heads before putting new ones in?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 PM
les63
Tourer

Well sure I pulled the old gaskets out (tapered) installed the ones supplied with the kit, I followed the instructions to the letter, both times. Leak is bad enough to blow out a match.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Jeeze....well you sound like a guy who does things to the letter so I'm not going to ask you and more did ya do this n that questions. I know I installed new flanges and exhaust snap rings just for ***** and giggles. I do have a little more poping since switching to these cat less duels but very slight. Other than those directions making a big deal over not tightening the heat shields before they tell you to cause you can warp a pipe I can not think of a reason not to call V and H tech support at this point. You never know.....they may have screwed something up on the manufacturing line with this batch. Let us know. I know you will get to the bottom of it.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
les63
Tourer

Called V&H Tech. Support and explained the issue, new head pipe, brackets and gaskets on the way.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by les63
Called V&H Tech. Support and explained the issue, new head pipe, brackets and gaskets on the way.
Nice!
Let me know if that was it. Im sure it was...

Old 06-27-2012, 09:14 PM
asahi1234
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I instaled the V&H power duels and didn't have any issue with. Hope everything gets fixed with the new parts coming.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that sucks, sorry to hear of the hassles. I had no probs with mine and am very happy with the PD's. Let us know how it goes when you get the new stuff. Hope you enjoy them, they're excellent pipes.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Mean Gene
Advanced

Sounds like the header pipe got bent slightly or missed final inspection when building it. The seal can be verified with some white marker paint or something that leaves a indication of surface mating. The cylinder head port angles are fixed, so headers have to match. Try measuring old & new as accurately as you can. You may have a factory reject!

Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM
les63
Tourer

Update, new headpipe does not work, still leaks at the exhaust port. V&H tech support does not know what to do, they started talking about the exhaust ports being out of square, go figure. Am trying to get credit for dresser duals will wait and see, back to stock head pipe for now.

Quick Reply: Help power duals