Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian Border crossing, how to answer "where do you work"

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Canadian Border crossing, how to answer "where do you work"

Long story short I work for a comapny that does contract work for the US Military. Anyone else do what I do, or close and how did you answer when asked where do you work, or what do you do for a living? I have absolutly nothing to hide, but have read lots about short, truthful answers and am just looking for a good simple answer because what I do can be answered about 3 ways and I just want the best, simplest one, right up front for them. Thanks for any and all input and yes, I read and searched tons before posting this up.
Kris

Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM
barkingspud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Long story short I work for a comapny that does contract work for the US Military. Anyone else do what I do, or close and how did you answer when asked where do you work, or what do you do for a living? I have absolutly nothing to hide, but have read lots about short, truthful answers and am just looking for a good simple answer because what I do can be answered about 3 ways and I just want the best, simplest one, right up front for them. Thanks for any and all input and yes, I read and searched tons before posting this up.
Kris
State the name of the company and your position title. They will ask additional questions if they need to know more.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Jon0807
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barkingspud
State the name of the company and your position title. They will ask additional questions if they need to know more.
+1 tell the truth but don't offer any more info than is needed unless asked

Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon0807
+1 tell the truth but don't offer any more info than is needed unless asked
10-4 Thanks guys.
Kris

rmw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whose name is printed at the top of the check and where are they sent? That way if anyone checks you drivers license or if you have a company ID, it matches what you told them.

MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Kris
Crossed the border at Wolfe Island late last year, and they never asked who I worked for or what I did.

Had a harder time getting back into the US than I did getting into Canada.

Matt

Old 07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would tell them where I work. The last time I went to Canada, they asked me about 20 questions. But, three different ways they asked if I had any firearms, any self-defence weapons, and how do I protect myself.
All of the other questions were small talk to find out if I was carrying a firearm with me.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

+1 name of company, position. Unless it's Columbian drug cartel, enforcer. probably not a best to be honest then. : )

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Prostitute. you horny Independent contractor. Take the bumper stickers off the cage.This is not a free nation.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The idea behind them asking about your employment is they want to make sure you're planning to go back. Same with us going into the US. Consider if a person shows up at the border, "nope no job, no house, no wife, just on a holiday sir... "!

So the fact you have a job is what they want to hear. Have you ever tried to go to
Brazil? Due to reciprocity, they make us, the Canadians and Americans get travel visas just like we make their visitors do. To get a visa you have to provide employment verification by showing recent pay cheques, as well as recent up to date bank records. We require people from 3rd world countries to do that so we know they have something to go back to.

Just a tid bit of trivia. Carry on.

Quick Reply: Canadian Border crossing, how to answer "where do you work"