Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Shock Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM
boatwake
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Shock Bolts

Has anyone ever heard of the top bolts on the rear shocks of FL bikes coming loose? I was riding this weekend. Someone following me told me that they thought my saddle bag looked loose. Everything looked tight, but then I noticed the top bolt on the shock looked loose (I could spin the lock washer with my finger). Both sides were loose, but one was really bad.

The only service I can think of that may have involved the shocks was about 2K miles ago when I had a new rear tire installed. It seems a stretch, but I have no idea what all the dealer may loosen or remove to change the rear tire.

The thought of the bolt coming out completely kind of rattled me. I had been riding 2-up with my wife on the interstate, cruising about 70. Not sure how much control I would have had if either of those bolts would have come out.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,376 Likes on 2,625 Posts

Maybe those arent "critical fasteners", LOL. I'll definitely start checking them now!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

in most cases to change a tire, the bike is put on a lift with a drop out rear section- the axle is pulled and the wheel drops out the bottom of the bike and is reinstalled by being lifted up into place.

so the upper shock bolts shouldn't be touched.

never had mine come loose, but I do grab and pull on my shocks as part of the check on wash day

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-23-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is a common practice to remove shock bolts to get to the axle bolt without removing the exhaust

Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 PM
boatwake
Advanced

Good info, thanks! The lock washer looks substantial, so I wouldn't think they would loosen if torqued down correctly. I hate to point fingers, but I'm having a hard time believing they would loosen on their own.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u
it is a common practice to remove shock bolts to get to the axle bolt without removing the exhaust
This happens alot because some mufflers make it impossible to get the axel out so either the muffler has to come off or you drop the swingarm down by taking the shock bolts out. However when I was doing it, I always took the lower bolts out.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 PM
blue flht
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

Blue threadlocker just a few drops, your best friend.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 PM
VinnyM
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 11 RKC both uppers were loose when I got it home brand new.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:16 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue threadlock... I use it on everything that Harley says not use threadlock... Easy peace of mind.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM
boatwake
Advanced

Sounds like there's enough uncertainty that I just need to bite my tongue with the HD dealer service department (for now) and do a better job inspecting my bike, especially after a servicing :-)

Unfortunately, the only problems I have ever had with my Street Glide have shortly followed a servicing. I might try another dealer just in case the grass is truly greener on the other side.

Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Loose Shock Bolts