Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Freaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 PM
MarcV125
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio Freaks

Hey guys, im looking at my options for an audio upgrade i will be doing over the winter and have a few questions. I looking for a great system but not too over the top i guess. I have been slowly converting my Street Glide into Ultra mode, and will be adding rear speaker pods to my tour pack over the winter also. I do not want to add the speaker lowers to it just front and rear speakers and amp. I think i have narrowed down my speakers to Focal k'2s. From what i read they are awesome speakers, as they should be for the price , and im thinking j&M 500w amp for ease of installation. Good combo??.. Also with the J&M amp, would everything be plug and play with the focals? ..
If someone can guide me in the right direction i would appreciate it. I believe i need coaxial's right?...
these for the front?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165K...er-165KRC.html
these for the rear?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091130K...er-130KRC.html

I was looking at similar set-ups online and have noticed the use of line level converters and audiophile rca cords also??..
Let me know what you guys think.. Thanks

Marc

Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Dude, $1330 for 2 pairs of speakers? Try these in the fairing:

Amazon Amazon

These in the rear:

Amazon Amazon

And finally this amp:

Amazon Amazon

I use Polk MM speakers myself, and they sound great with my amp. I think you'll be happy with the sound, and you can spend the $1.5k or more you save on other mods!

Last edited by floridapoolboy; 10-05-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several speakers sound good when the bike is parked in the garage. At 70 mph you are not going to hear the difference between $300 Focals and $700 Focals. But if you have the money go for it. Where do you plan to mount the amp? If you have room, check out this Alpine. J&M products are better than stock for sure, but they are way over priced and you can get better.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Valkyrie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why I started with the Ultra first, it was less that the Street Glide and all my street glide friends add all the ultra stuff as they keep them. I have only heard a few of the factory upgrade kits (plug and play) and they would be as having a good band/DJ at your next bonfire

Old 10-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

J&M amps are made by Arc Audio,,,,,just spec'd a little different to meet their specifications.

I have a 250 watt amp I am going to sell this winter along with their speakers and go with Focal 165KRC's in the front. I will then go with the Arc Audio 4 channel amp with 500 watts.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
MarcV125
Tourer

Originally Posted by SEsupply2
J&M amps are made by Arc Audio,,,,,just spec'd a little different to meet their specifications.

I have a 250 watt amp I am going to sell this winter along with their speakers and go with Focal 165KRC's in the front. I will then go with the Arc Audio 4 channel amp with 500 watts.

Thanks everyone ...

Yea..i have the j&m 7.25 and wasn't impressed..the quality just wasnt there.. ..Granted i didn't have an amp and i am running of the stock HK head unit but still..i went to my local audio place and its a unbelievable difference in the quality of the focals compared to the J&M's....
My only other question is with the rear speaker pods..Do the 6 3/4 adapters work in those?.. or can you only fit the 5.25 in the rear speaker pods?

Several speakers sound good when the bike is parked in the garage. At 70 mph you are not going to hear the difference between $300 Focals and $700 Focals. But if you have the money go for it. Where do you plan to mount the amp? If you have room, check out this Alpine. J&M products are better than stock for sure, but they are way over priced and you can get better.
I want to mount the amp in the fairing right on top of the head unit... Definitely do not want to take up and luggage space ...

Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I have my JL xd100/4 mounted in the fairing but if ya have a tourpac ya can mount a bigger amp under it like Harley does.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 PM
MarcV125
Tourer

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
Dude, $1330 for 2 pairs of speakers? Try these in the fairing:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

These in the rear:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2...rds=polk+mm525

And finally this amp:

http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-PN...am+pn4.520+amp

I use Polk MM speakers myself, and they sound great with my amp. I think you'll be happy with the sound, and you can spend the $1.5k or more you save on other mods!

thanks for the replies guys...i spent a lot of time researching and seeing what i wanted and after reading up, i don't think i want to spend that much on speakers lol..
The Polk option looks like a great choice,, a couple questions though
Again i am not an audio guy... The 2.7 ohm's on those speakers....its not a problem?... I will be running the stock HU and just running front and rear tour pack speakers,,and also i have heard that the grills on those speakers may be a problem when installing with clearance?.. any issues you encountered?..
and a quick question about that amp also,,,looks nice.,,i assume they will push those speakers very well.. Does it fit in the fairing, because i do not want to take up any trunk space.. and what wiring kit did you need to purchase?,,,
Thanks and sorry for all the newbie questions..

Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcV125
thanks for the replies guys...i spent a lot of time researching and seeing what i wanted and after reading up, i don't think i want to spend that much on speakers lol..
The Polk option looks like a great choice,, a couple questions though
Again i am not an audio guy... The 2.7 ohm's on those speakers....its not a problem?... I will be running the stock HU and just running front and rear tour pack speakers,,and also i have heard that the grills on those speakers may be a problem when installing with clearance?.. any issues you encountered?..
and a quick question about that amp also,,,looks nice.,,i assume they will push those speakers very well.. Does it fit in the fairing, because i do not want to take up any trunk space.. and what wiring kit did you need to purchase?,,,
Thanks and sorry for all the newbie questions..
As long as the amp is 2 ohm stable the 2.7 ohm Polks won't be an issue. I'm just running fairing speakers now, so I'm not using the grills. Yes, that amp will fit in the fairing, the height and width will let it sit on top of the radio. There are other amp choices as well, just make sure they are 2 ohm capable and are under 6 inches deep and 2 inches high and you should be OK. I think an 8 gauge wiring kit should be fine, they can be had for short money on Amazon.

Last edited by floridapoolboy; 10-25-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 PM
arlinsg
Road Captain
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Put the amp in before you get rid of the J&Ms. When I put an amp in, it really woke the J&Ms up. I put the Polk MM651s in my lowers, and really can't tell a whole lot of difference in the two, especially at speed.

Quick Reply: Audio Freaks