Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Jeff Vorhies
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust recommendations

I have a 2003 FLHTCI which at the current time is completely stock. My birthday is coming up, my girlfriend mentioned getting me a set of pipes for my birthday.

What are you guys running, or what do you recommend? I don't want anything too loud or obnoxious.

Last edited by Jeff Vorhies; 11-20-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

I used to have some pretty obnoxious pipes on my '03 until I came back from a ride to Key West and back and my ears ringing for days.

I like the Vance & Hines True Duals and the Vance & Hines Monster Ovals. Same Torque and HP as the louder stuff but more radio friendly. Quiet until I get on it and when I do they hear me coming

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust recommendations-flhtci-2.jpg   Exhaust recommendations-flhtci3.jpg   Exhaust recommendations-flhtci-5.jpg  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM
mtnbkr53
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2 into 1 pipes offer the best performance as far as hp and torque. The 2 into 1 into 2 offer the best performance with the dual exhaust appearence. The 2 into 2 true duals have a unique sound and appearence but can leave flat spots in the torque curve. You have to decide what look you want , but if performance considerations are paramount, that could lead you in a different direction. I went 2-1-2 because I like the 2 pipe look but still want max performance.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Jeff,

I suggest you go to a bike night and see what you like- listen to other bikes

My riding Pal has the same V&H PD & M/O's as above and he can't use his radio.

If I am following, I find the exhaust note tinny and annoying, so I either lead or drop waaaay back.

exhausts are like opinions....

I use a tunable supertrapp supermeg type, which can be adjusted to be quite loud or fairly quiet.

There is nothing less fun than a loud exhaust 4 hours into a 10 hour riding day.

the 2/1/2, 2/1 is less a factor on the touring series bikes as the 2/1/2 ( stock type layout) has large internal volume. those differences are more on a smaller chassis bike where the stock layout may have less volume.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-20-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,919 Likes on 21,752 Posts

2-1 for sure if you don't mind the look.
You would also pick up a few HP/TQ.
Fuel moto has the nicest looking one of em' all I think.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
I used to have some pretty obnoxious pipes on my '03 until I came back from a ride to Key West and back and my ears ringing for days.

I like the Vance & Hines True Duals and the Vance & Hines Monster Ovals. Same Torque and HP as the louder stuff but more radio friendly. Quiet until I get on it and when I do they hear me coming
You should wear earplugs! Whether riding with a loud exhaust or quiet.....

Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Jeff,

I suggest you go to a bike night and see what you like- listen to other bikes

My riding Pal has the same V&H PD & M/O's as above and he can't use his radio.

If I am following, I find the exhaust note tinny and annoying, so I either lead or drop waaaay back.

exhausts are like opinions....

I use a tunable supertrapp supermeg type, which can be adjusted to be quite loud or fairly quiet.

There is nothing less fun than a loud exhaust 4 hours into a 10 hour riding day.

the 2/1/2, 2/1 is less a factor on the touring series bikes as the 2/1/2 ( stock type layout) has large internal volume. those differences are more on a smaller chassis bike where the stock layout may have less volume.

mike
Great advice,

Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 AM
HarleyLew
Cruiser

I should've gotten Rhine Hearts, but I settled for chrome werks. My riding buddy has a set of RHs and they have that thunder low rumble...he's on a '12 SG. So, yeah...I'm jealous!

Do listen to the bike night advice...that could save ya some $$$....

Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Wear ear plugs or your will pay in major hearing loss later. Ask me how I know.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 AM
EasternPC_Forum
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pipe Recommendations

It really depends on what you are looking for! Are you looking for more sound or more performance or both? I recommend checking out youtube.com as well to hear the different tones of the pipes you are interested in. While you are not going to get a decibel reading you will still get an idea of how deep the pipe is going to sound. If you have any questions about any of the exhausts mentioned please feel free to contact me for the best price or any additional advice!

Sean Reed
Internet Sales
410-451-5181 ext. 202
sean@easternperformance.com

Quick Reply: Exhaust recommendations