Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Commander II Poor Handling!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

I must be the "odd man out".... 12k on the CommanderIIs.... handle well in wet or dry.... no issues at all

2005 FLTRi..... I've had the E-3s for the past few tire changes... great tire... but the C-IIs are just a bit better (to ME, on MY bike)

Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe there is a bad run of tires? I love my Com II rear tire but I don't doubt those that are having a bad experience. I'll post the date on my tire when I get home. Maybe if there are some dates from the good experiences and dates from the bad experiences a pattern might emerge. Remember manufacuter lot date not purchase date.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
I must be the "odd man out".... 12k on the CommanderIIs.... handle well in wet or dry.... no issues at all

2005 FLTRi..... I've had the E-3s for the past few tire changes... great tire... but the C-IIs are just a bit better (to ME, on MY bike)
Yo Penn.... you us big boys... you can stick anything on our bikes and our big asses will make it stick to the ground anyway...LOL...

Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Bigdad68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put on the rear Commander II 6 months ago and loved it. Wanted to get rid of the pinstripe whitewall up front so I bought the front Commander II and immediately developed a weird front end drift over 65 mph. Running 42 psi and I am only at about 500 miles on it. It is starting to look from others this is not going to go away.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

After almost 10 years of Dunlop 402's, 1 rear every year and a front every other year, I purchased a set of Commander II's. Since I bought a new bike this year I wanted to save a little on the new tires for the old bike. Also liked the advertised "Twice the Mileage". From the start these were slick, Taking a corner I have taken a thousand times, 1 mile from my house, I found myself standing the bike up to keep from loosing it and off road into the church yard grass. They slip when I cross painted lines, they spin or chirp in gears 1 through 4 and I can't take a corner or don't trust them in the corners. Mine were made in Thailand I know some are made in Spain. Maybe that is the difference.

Attached Thumbnails Michelin Commander II Poor Handling!-flhtci.jpg   Michelin Commander II Poor Handling!-thailand.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I have them on my Dyna and they stick like glue. PRessure at least 40 front like was said above and a little higher rear. Look at the side of the tire for the max psi and make sure you are not set at psi for stock tires as that will make any tire ride like crap.
I have to disagree. You should ALWAYS set the tire pressure to what the decal on the bike states. (Given that the size and type are the same as what the decal calls for). The tire may fit a number of different bikes so inflating to the max may degrade the tires performance. Air pressure dictates the carrying capacity and the "footprint" of the tire, thereby affecting the handling characteristics of the tire.

Also as a FYI, more pressure if it exceeds the max inflation on the sidewall does not increase the tires carrying capacity.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Travler
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that some folks are not having good results from their CII's. I've had my rear on for over 6K & front probably less than 3K. I like them very much. I've had no problems w/ handling in wet or dry. I live in the Ozarks, so I get play in the curves often, they handle fine for me. I just hope I can get more mileage out of these than the Elite 3's...

Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't care what's posted on the tire, or the manual, different rubber, different design, adjust the pressure to perform correctly for you within a safe range.

Just changed over to a Metzler on the front and rear. I discovered that dropping the front to 36 pounds made a huge difference in how it handled on my bike.

At 40 it didn't have enough rubber on the road. Turned like power steering but really washed out and wobbled on the corners.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree w/JC. I run usually 41R and 39/F on my MCII's. That is in the summer. I'm a bit of a light weight on the bike. But I find in the colder wx...I need to drop the air alittle in the front or I get the power steering thing. No wobbles in turns...but I chose 40R and 37F and the bike seems to tame down a little.

BTW, JC did you work/fix your windshield? Any update? If ya did, hope it worked!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickl
I have to disagree. You should ALWAYS set the tire pressure to what the decal on the bike states. (Given that the size and type are the same as what the decal calls for). The tire may fit a number of different bikes so inflating to the max may degrade the tires performance. Air pressure dictates the carrying capacity and the "footprint" of the tire, thereby affecting the handling characteristics of the tire.

Also as a FYI, more pressure if it exceeds the max inflation on the sidewall does not increase the tires carrying capacity.
I still disagree. Different tires need to be run at different pressures.

Quick Reply: Michelin Commander II Poor Handling!