Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 PM
rkc9999
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization

Just changed my handlebars on my 2003 FLHRCI. Got everything back together correctly (at least I think so.)

Now I'm trying to do the lash initialazition and something is not working right. The green engaged light is supposed to come on after cranking up the engine and it doesn't.

I'm following the directions in the service manual. Anybody got any idea why it's not working.[&o] Any help is appreciated.

By the way, I haven't yet hooked up the headlight or connected the wiring up to the nacelle but everything else is hooked up and is working.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 PM
rkc9999
Advanced
Default RE: Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization

I should add that I haven't bled the front brakes yet. Not sure that will make a difference.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:23 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

Whet thru the song and dance with cr I installed last fall. Green light should go on I believe even if probs with module,cable,or idle roll off senser, so sounds like its in the necelle wiring/switch/rt side handle bar control conection. Dont have diagnosis elect. manuel yet but was posted on forum,Just another thing that might help and diagnosis sequence may be good to get familiar with for future use. lastly do a search,lots of good posts.

good luck! will check back.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:13 PM
rkc9999
Advanced

Yea, I've done a search and read the previous posts. Didn't leave the piece of cardboard in the brake lever. Made sure all the wires were in the right place. Reopened the switch housing to make sure the internal wires weren't pinched.

I didn't adjust the cables at all, I was able to get the new grip on without loosening the cables. Could the cruise not work because of this?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

That one got me..good! After loosening the cable (the idle) which is not the "best" one to loosen I did not tighten it enough(to much slack) which caused roll off switch to ahh not work.But all the lights on switch and cruise(orange on-->green engaged) worked. It just would not lash. took for test drive and looked ok but no pull.then did diagnosis and the code would say/translate to something like speed err or something did not make sense? So re inserted module 10 point connecter a few times til I was shure it was well connected and tightened up throttle cable to get rid of slack and waalaa lashed/ worked.

Thats amazing you could get those ferrels on with out loosening cable! tried for 1/2 hr.
You are shure the switch connection is ok. did you see the threads on switch connection?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 PM
rkc9999
Advanced

The idle cable has got a good bit of slack in it, could that be it?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:49 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

Yes and no.As I found out that is important for cruise to work but it did not affect gauge light?
Turn on cc switch-->switch light turns on and light on (flhtc) tach shows orange,then at appropriet speed push set on controls and light turns green. think I said that right.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

According to my 2004 HD Service Manual for Touring bikes, the cable lash initialization has nothing to do with the electrical circuit of the cruise control lighting.

Take a look at the wiring diagram in your service manual, find the wiring in the speedo which should turn green (cruise enable) and see if there is a problem with that circuit, i.e. is that socket connected, wire pinched, etc. Likewise, the headlight circuit does not appear to be part of the cruise control circuit on your bike (I took a look at the RK wiring diagram after first reading your post, though I am much more familiar with the EG wiring since that's what I have).

You didn't mention it in your original post, but have you tried to turn the cruise unit on and gotten the red indicator lamp in the speedo (tach on an EG) to light? It turns green during the initialization. Also, when I tested mine after the installation, I made the mistake of holding theset/resume switchback and not releasing it--it must be released for the light to turn green. Good luck; frustrating to seem to do everything right and not have it work right.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 AM
rkc9999
Advanced

Yes the red light comes on, on my handlesbars (it's different for a road king). I dont believe you are supposed to release the resume switch, according to everything I've read. I tried it anyway and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I haven't ridden the bike yet so I don't know if the cruise will come on or not. Just trying to do the lash ininialization right now.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:12 AM
rkc9999
Advanced

In case anybody is still interested, the cruise is working. Never was able to do the lash initialization but I'm happy now.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization