Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best new A/C to go with VH Big Shots

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM
jcannady
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best new A/C to go with VH Big Shots

I'm about to get a stage 1 on my new 2013 RK. I want the big shot pipes. Any suggestions for the A/C that works well with them?

Jim

Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

almost any aftermarket "High Flow" air cleaner will/can flow more air ( CFM) than your motor could ever demand.

the best results per dollar is the ness big sucker ( ebay, easternpc about $115)- my opinion

easier install ( gas tank and throttle body brace stay in place)

washable reusable filter media ( similar to, but not K&N brand)

chrome backing plate complements the motor ( unlike a cast grey)

and uses the stock football cover- which while not exciting to look at hides the ugly servo plug on the throttle body.

there are other units which have thrilling spears and tribal and plumbing thingy's if that is what you like...what ever you do, stay away from the 'hype charger" which flows only marginally better than the stock housing

make your first purchase your best purchase...

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-03-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM
IHC67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just installed the V&H Big Shots myself. I opted for the Screamin' Eagle Heavy breather. mainly I liked the style.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

There are many options for this, he ness big air sucker, the SE stage 1, FM offers a stage 1, another option is the SE heavy breather and the one that I would look at is the new S&S filter.

On my 2010 X, I started with the SE HB and removed it when I added lowers and had trouble with it in a rain storm. I then went to the NESS AC and didn't like the chrome cover plate. I am now running a SE stage 1 dry filter and powder coated my stock football cover denim black.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V&H V02 naked. Add whatever cover or trim u want. Like mine and never had an issue with oil leaking out of it like so many other brands have.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM
jcannady
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdemarse
V&H V02 naked. Add whatever cover or trim u want. Like mine and never had an issue with oil leaking out of it like so many other brands have.
So I can keep the stock AC cover on that?

Jim

Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM
cdemarse
Tourer

Originally Posted by jcannady
So I can keep the stock AC cover on that?

Jim

Yep, or you can get any style of the air cleaner trims if you want to run an open filter. like these.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Ive been in some serious downpours and never had any issues without a rain sock. What "theme" you going with?

Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM
cdemarse
Tourer

V02 naked is $112.95 from directharleyparts.com. Thats where I bought mine from and many other things without issues. And spend $37 more dollars and shipping is free. Good excuse to buy something else. lol

Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've been looking and researching pipes/AC for while now. I finally ordered the slip-ons today and I'm about to order the AC. After looking at several, I've decided to go with a traditional style that keeps the football cover and avoid the open element style based on feedback I've read on intake noise. I guess I'm opting for a quieter intake on the road bike, and would pop for an open element on something else. Comments?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM
cdemarse
Tourer

That's why I went with the V&H. Can do both. Not sure if other brands will or not. Ran the football for a while and then switched to the trim piece. The hundreds of complaints about oil leaking out of the filters on the screaming eagle and ness made my decision pretty simple. I don't want oil dripping all over my motor and pipes while I'm riding. Still don't think they figured out why or how to fix it. I know my buddies screaming eagle still leaks and he's tried everything.

Quick Reply: Best new A/C to go with VH Big Shots