Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter headlight replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:26 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brighter headlight replacement

Just wanted to add my 2 cents about headlight bulbs. I just installed the Sylvania H4-ST replacement bulb in my '05 Ultra headlight, as suggested in one of the other threads. I have been following all the recent threads about changing out the headlight bulb for something brighter, and finally bought the bulb tonight and installed it. Very nice! What a difference! I highly recommend it.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brighter headlight replacement

Thanks for the update, I was watching that thread also.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:52 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my Sylvania for the second time, looks like it continues to fail due to vibration.

This time I went with the PIAA Super White H4 80W/80W in the head light and the Super White 55W H3 in my driving lights. What a difference in the light output. Very, very bright white light.

The PIAA is is a direct replacement motorcycle bulb and is designed for the vibration on a bike, has the same amp draw as a stock light and runs cooler, but puts out a lot more light. It's real close to HID lights.

Check it out>>> http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...All&page=1

SteveO

Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 AM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, SteveO, I was wondering what to do about the driving lights. They look pale yellow next to the H4. I will probablyorder the PIAA bulbsand keep them as backup if mine fails from the vibrations.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:34 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has any one found any 881 spotlight bulbs that are white like the silverstars? The stock bulbs look dim and yellow against the silver star.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Dogwood
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteveO

This time I went with the PIAA Super White H4 80W/80W in the head light and the Super White 55W H3 in my driving lights. What a difference in the light output. Very, very bright white light.

The PIAA is is a direct replacement motorcycle bulb and is designed for the vibration on a bike, has the same amp draw as a stock light and runs cooler, but puts out a lot more light. It's real close to HID lights.

SteveO
I'm concerned, dispite the name, that this blub will produce light with a blue tint.
Even PIAA's site says that it has a slight blue tint.
I will not use a blue light headlight, ever.

Can you please confirm or deny whether any blue is actually present?

Old 02-07-2007, 01:28 AM
godshd
Advanced

SteveO were did you get the Piaa super white H4 80w/80w? I saw on the link the driving lights but not this one.

thanks

Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 AM
BadAzz Electraglide
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Dogwood

ORIGINAL: SteveO

SteveO
I'm concerned, dispite the name, that this blub will produce light with a blue tint.
Even PIAA's site says that it has a slight blue tint.
I will not use a blue light headlight, ever.

Can you please confirm or deny whether any blue is actually present?

They are more white than blue. I have PIAA bulbs in my dual headlight and H3 silverstars in my passing lamps and am very pleased with the results.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:08 AM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the link for the 80/80>> http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...All&page=1

Also, my passing lights are replacement lamp holders that match my 05 Ultra, they have replacaeable bulbs. Make sure you insulate the wire clips when you install or they will ground out on the housing. The rubber backing is tricky to get off to get at the bulb, but it can be removed and secured back on with a wire tie.

They are a very bright white with a slight blue tint same as the Lexus, BMW HID lamps from a distance. You don't notice the tint while driving, only the great white light they put out!

See and be seen!!!

SteveO