Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moderate decel popping

Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 AM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moderate decel popping

I've got it from 2,100RPM on down after the engine is warmed up. I'm thinking it is either intake or exhaust leak or both. How do you check for these? I tried cigar smoke but couldn't tell from that. Any ideas how to check for intake and exhaust leaks?

Thanks

Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

Could be a couple of things. Exhaust leak, sure. Could even be the type of exhaust and baffle. Im getting some pop due to running a cylindrical type baffle in my Vance and Hines straight shot slip-on's. There is not much for restriction so lot's of air in there for igniting unburned fuel on decal. Or it could be you need to fine tune air fuel ratio for when you roll off the throttle. The way I understand it, when you roll off throttle, both intake and exhaust valves are open for a bit for EPA reasons and causes unburned fuel to pass through to the exhaust where if like my muffles which are open, mixes with all the air and wa la decel pop!! But dont hold me to this as law, just what I understand. Im sure if in my case I switched to Rush with a hour glass shaped baffle, I would not get decel pop in which case would be cheaper and easier than messing with running, dyno's, and all that crap. Im not looking to race the guy next to me to the next bar. I just want to enjoy the ride.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
...The way I understand it, when you roll off throttle, both intake and exhaust valves are open for a bit for EPA reasons...
The timing of the valves are mechanical and has nothing to do with the EPA. Valve overlap has been happening just about since day 1...

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
...Im sure if in my case I switched to Rush with a hour glass shaped baffle, I would not get decel pop in which case would be cheaper and easier than messing with running, dyno's, and all that crap...
Your knowledge/understanding of decel popping is suspect. To state that simply switching out parts instead of determining where and under what conditions the pop occurs by way of properly diagnosing the problem (dyno's and all that crap) is truly the amateur way of doing things.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:00 PM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know how to check for intake and exhaust leaks?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 PM
SGFlash
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my bike dyno tuned and solved my decal popping. Bike runs much smoother and cooler as well.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 PM
LeFat1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2manytoys
There's a couple of methods, but dont you think it may be a Powervision problem? Maybe a new flash is needed.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 502 Likes on 246 Posts

Simple way for intake is to spray a little ignitable substance such as carb cleaner at the intake ports while the bike is idling. If idle speed changes, the intake is suckin it in. Exhaust, check for carbon footprints around the pipe junctions.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Simple way for intake is to spray a little ignitable substance such as carb cleaner at the intake ports while the bike is idling. If idle speed changes, the intake is suckin it in. Exhaust, check for carbon footprints around the pipe junctions.

Most popping is due to an improper tune rather than a leak. Leaks can contribute, but it's likely your tune.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I get decal popping I take a moment to check the torque on the exhaust header nuts. Once they are snugged down the bike is quiet again for awhile. It's and easy two minute fix.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:48 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2manytoys
For spotting intake or vacuum leaks I apply isopropyl alcohol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moderate decel popping