Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security Key-fob Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 AM
merman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Security Key-fob Question

I did a quick search here and Google but didn't really see what I was looking for. My question to the group is this, once a security key-fob is mated with the security system, can the battery be taken out indefinitely and if the key-fob is needed, the battery be re-installed and the fob still be mated? When traveling, I want to take my backup security fob with me but don't want to have to carry it with me when leaving the bike. I guess I could just pull the battery from one and test it for myself. And, yes I have my pin programmed and know how to start the bike without any fob present. Thanks for any response.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

".. can the battery be taken out indefinitely and if the key-fob is needed, the battery be re-installed and the fob still be mated"?

Yes. While doing maintenance I've had my battery removed for several weeks and the programming remained intact.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 5,439 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by merman
I did a quick search here and Google but didn't really see what I was looking for. My question to the group is this, once a security key-fob is mated with the security system, can the battery be taken out indefinitely and if the key-fob is needed, the battery be re-installed and the fob still be mated? When traveling, I want to take my backup security fob with me but don't want to have to carry it with me when leaving the bike. I guess I could just pull the battery from one and test it for myself. And, yes I have my pin programmed and know how to start the bike without any fob present. Thanks for any response.
Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't it be easier to take the fob with you rather than removing the battery?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 5,439 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Oh, you mean the battery in the fob. Yeah, that's ok.
I just crawled out of bed.

Last edited by Drilln'Boss; 06-12-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by merman
There is no need to carry extra fob. That is what the security pin is for.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 AM
rustybearing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you want to take an extra fob just wrap it in aluminum foil and stash it in your gear. The foil will keep the fob from connecting with the bike.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why do you need to bring the other FOB, since you know how to do the override via your PIN?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Don't mean to hack this thread but I have a fob question also. I just bought my son an '06 Heritage that has security on it with 2 Fobs (push button type). Only 1 of them works. Replaced batteries with new ones and even took the battery out of the one that worked and put it in other Fob and still nothing. Doesn't appear to have any damage inside or out. Any clues?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Don't mean to hack this thread but I have a fob question also. I just bought my son an '06 Heritage that has security on it with 2 Fobs (push button type). Only 1 of them works. Replaced batteries with new ones and even took the battery out of the one that worked and put it in other Fob and still nothing. Doesn't appear to have any damage inside or out. Any clues?
My guess would be, its not married to the bike. Since its a push button type it can be done without the help of the dealer. There is a procedure on here that will help you out

Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Tirpitz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SBates08, it problably just needs to be reprogramed.

Quick Reply: Security Key-fob Question