Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower fairing vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 PM
omahogg
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lower fairing vents

Anyone have a good way to keep the fairing vents open? mine close's on me sometimes just cruising around town but always when on the interstate or hiways, would like to keep them open with the hot weather..Thanks..

Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take Em out. I removed mine years ago. They never stayed open, and rattled constantly. If you want to leave them in, there is a nut inside the storage compartment that probably just needs a little tightening.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tighten the nut inside the turn ****.

Ride On.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

I think it's a 7/16 nut. Don't get to aggressive with it, it's bolted through plastic, and too tight, it won't move

Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 PM
omahogg
Cruiser

Thanks jus2anoyu!!! I think you just killed 2 birds with one stone...(1) there coming out becase (2) I always had this rattle sound I couldn't pin down, after a ride I would grab the fairing, lowers, anything I thought would be loose..no good...so I just ignored it and lived with it and totally forgot about it till your reply...cool...thanks again...

Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

No problem. Glad to help. Fwiw, I tried everything to get mine to stop rattling, and the only way they wouldn't rattle is sitting on the shelf in my garage. Added benefit is a little more air for you and that hot engine without those doors in there too!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Erica
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing about the lower fairing doors being out is you get pretty soaked from knees down in a good rain. I also LIKE them in the winter. I ride all year.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Erica
The only thing about the lower fairing doors being out is you get pretty soaked from knees down in a good rain. I also LIKE them in the winter. I ride all year.
I disagree, I only get a slight amount of water about mid shin. That's only during the <5% of the time I find myself riding In the rain. The other 95% of the time I enjoy the additional airflow

Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Ride Ultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
Take Em out. I removed mine years ago. They never stayed open, and rattled constantly. If you want to leave them in, there is a nut inside the storage compartment that probably just needs a little tightening.
Ditto, ditto and ditto.

Took the lowers completely off last summer and it was ok, engine heat was fine even at stellar temps. This year, took the vents out and left the lowers on. Get a little more heat but it's A LOT more comfortable at highway speeds with the lowers on. Yeah, I'm gettin' older and enjoy a smoother ride than in previous years.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:22 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior

Can you remove the vents without taking off your lowers?

Quick Reply: Lower fairing vents