Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll off switch on cruise control necessary?

Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 PM
rando1954
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll off switch on cruise control necessary?

I installed a cruise control on my 02 FLHRI about 40k miles ago .
The throttle cable broke at the throttle handle and I want to know if it's necessary to have a throttle cable with the roll off switch.
Would it create problems if I just used a throttle cable without the roll off switch ?
I really never use that function when I 'm using the cruise .
Any help would be appreciated .

Old 06-20-2013, 06:16 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rando1954
I want to know if it's necessary to have a throttle cable with the roll off switch....I really never use that function when I 'm using the cruise .
Of course it's unnecessary - you always have the option to cancel speed control however you want - you don't need anybody's permission for that. But if all you want to do at the time is cancel cruise control, and braking or clutching isn't in the plan, then the throttle switch becomes more important.

You 'da man - you make the call.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,531 Likes on 3,054 Posts

It's the idle cable that has the switch and the cruise will not work without it. I broke a throttle cable a couple of months back and while waiting for the new cable to come in, I ran the idle cable in the throttle slot for that week. The cruise wouldn't engage at all until both cables were back on where they belonged.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:41 PM
birdmandave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had both cables replaced on my 01 UC without the roll off. Just had to tap brake or clutch and it worked okay. Got used to it pretty quick

Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 PM
rando1954
6th Gear

Stiggy you're right . It is on the idle cable .
I bought new Barnett cables for it only to realize after I started to tear it apart that the roll off switch was on it . I bought just standard cables .
It's been 10 + years since I replaced them and I forgot they were special .
I actually forgot about that feature (roll off) that I never used it . I've been tapping my brake / clutch to disengage it .

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM
rando1954
6th Gear

SOOOOO , the standard cables will work with the cruise but I won't have the roll off function ?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I use the cruise and roll-off all the time!!! Pretty silly not to put the right cable on and keep the roll off feature imho.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,237 Likes on 808 Posts

I've got an 04 RKCi with working cruise control. Darned if there is any roll off function, and I don't remember ever seeing a switch at either end of the cables.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 622 Likes on 452 Posts

I would bet that the roll off switch is a lawyer switch. If it weren't there, somebody would sue. With the front brake switch, the rear brake switch, the clutch, the cruise on-off switch and ultimately the electrical master switch, there are plenty of ways to shut off even the most stubborn cruise control. That is at least one more redundant shutoff than in the typical car. Having TBW, the most common challenge for me is a smooth cruise disengagement. It is easy enough to use any of the functions, but they result in a jerk,as if the throttle had been snapped closed. I try to match twist grip position to throttle position when turning off the cruise so there is no jerking change of speed. Turning off the cruise with the roll off function guarantees a jerk from a sudden throttle closure so I never use it and wouldn't miss it.

The following users liked this post:
NightRaven (03-25-2022)
Old 06-21-2013, 12:38 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Mine is too damn sensitive. I can't even lay a gloved hand on the top of it without turning the cruise off hitting bumps on the highway. I may look into disabling it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roll off switch on cruise control necessary?