Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed True Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Just installed True Track

I never had the wobbles but I had a good deal on the progressive True Track. It's been sitting around for months so I just installed it. I really don,t see how it would help with wobbles or traction or anything for that matter. It attaches to the right side where the passenger foot peg mounts and then to the bottom of the transmission. Perhaps it keeps the engine from twisting, who knows. I haven't rode it yet because I need to replace my oil sending unit while I have access. Has anyone installed one of these and what difference can you tell?

Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 650 Likes on 468 Posts

Ooops

Last edited by btsom; 06-24-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 650 Likes on 468 Posts

I have the Progressive unit on an 08 Road King. The theory of wobble is that side loads on the rear wheel (On a gyroscope, the force expresses itself 90 degrees of rotation from the point the force was applied) cause some rear wheel steering input. That is why when rolling a free wheel, once it banks in one direction, i begins to turn in that direction. The side load at the bottom exerts a turning force 90 degrees of rotation later making the wheel turn. The same thing happens with your rear wheel (all spinning wheels, actually) and the turning force at the back of the wheel applies turning force to the rubber bushings which hold the swing arm causing some rear wheel steer. If you look at any of the stabilizers, they prevent any left-right movement of the front of the wheel (and swing arm). My machine had a noticeable tendency to tighten and widen high speed turns independently of any input from me. This had me always correcting from turning too tightly to turning too wide and back again in all the high speed sweeping turns. I could never find a "sweet spot" of proper turn radius to just run through the turn, I was always hunting for just the right turn radius. The Progressive link has eliminated that hunting, I can establish a turn and just ride smoothly through it now. Hope it does the same job for you.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Ryder7140
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 01 ultra. Have new (stock) swing arm bushings. I have also replaced the top and bottom links. Then aligned the wheels using a 8' florescent light bulb. Mine still feel funny in a big sweeping curve. Kind of like btsom described. The rear wheel feels like it is trying to steer out on its own. I have thought about trying the true track. But for now I just go slow in the curves.

Hope you have good luck with it.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just buy a 2009 and up and be done with this. I have never had any issues myself either but once i do I will say so long to my 2006 hello 2009 or newer and be done with it. Beet of luck to all with the wobble.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Black Gator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had the True-Trac on my 2012 Street Glide almost since new. Since this was my first Touring bike I asked my buddy to do a comparison ride. At the time he was riding a 2007 SE Electra Glide. I thought his observations were interesting since he's owned 13 new H-D of all types since the early 70's. his observation was that the Street Glide handling was crisp and sure. In the year+ since being installed I've had numerous opportunities to push the bike hard through some very interesting "twisties". The bike has always responded with very stable handling. On several occasions recently while out with a few others I was motioned to the lead on some challenging road sections so as not to be held up. Oh, the bike that sent me ahead....a 2013 BMW K1600 GT.
I'll stick with my True-Trac, thanks.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed an AlloyArt stabilizer on my 01 Ultra 3 years ago. Still rides like it's on a rail now.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 AM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's on my list of things to do but not sure if there is a uk stockist ?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to check out grbrown's thread on wobble. It's very informative and aims you at a solution, which is the True Track.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-exposed.html

I had the wobble happen to me with my girlfriend on the back. I had recovery room and was able to pull out of it. Scared the hell out of me and at the time, I didn't know anything about "death wobble", I just figured it was a heavy bike and that's what they do. Wrong. I know about it now and have since put the True Track on the bike. It runs on rails now and from what I've read, the newer frame design didn't eliminate the issue, its just less prevalent, but it still happens.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The funny thing is if you got the Progressive version that is not a True Track. True Track was the first company to make this type of a stabilizer and every fone else copied them. Their stuff costs a little more as I have been looking for one for my bike but am still undecided on which to get. I will probably get Tru Track as I have it on my Dyna and they are local so I can pick it up in person.

Here is a link to Tru Track.
http://www.true-track.com/

Here is a link to the Progressive product.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ink/index.html

There are a few other companies that make these things now too. I think Alloy Art, and others. Another thing to look in to is the Stabo-Bo swing arm bushings.

I am yet to experience the high speed wobble, but I'd rather never have to. When I put one of these on i will report back after with my thoughts but judging from the difference it made on my Dyna I am sure it will be quite noticeable.

Quick Reply: Just installed True Track