Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hard starting [thundermax] ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
ballbreaker69
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Question hard starting [thundermax] ?

I ride a 2010 RK with TBW and have had a thundermax for the last 12 months. I have had problems since the thundermax install with the bike hard starting cold every 7 - 10 days or so. I also have K&N high flow with V&H true duals and ovals. Everything else is still stock. At the end of the last riding season I had my gas filter replaced. Since the start of this season it has got worse where every time I go to start it turns over four times in a cycle and doesn't seem to fire. On the fifth try it fires and starts. It is in the shop right now and I am not sure if it is the Thundermax or gas filter. My questiion is for those that have the Thundermax have any of you had the cold hard starting problem and if so what did you do to fix it. I am going to Sturgis in a few weeks and am starting not to trust the bike starting. Any thoughts and info would be greatly appreciated. The shop I take it to has a laptop which I don't have and charges everytime for adjustments. I thought that was what the autotune was for.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM
HDTimFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tmax on my bike and it fires up almost instantly. Sounds like you need to call the folks at tmax. I kinda think I remember something about an adjustment for starts. I'm sure they could tweak your tune and get you all straightened out...

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 PM
ballbreaker69
Tourer

Thanks for the info. I will give my indy a call as I don't have an laptop only a desktop and Ipad. I didn't know there was an adjustment for starting. Worth checking out. On a side note I noticed you are running the Dragula 2 into 1 . How do you like it and what baffle are you running.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM
HDTimFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ballbreaker69
Thanks for the info. I will give my indy a call as I don't have an laptop only a desktop and Ipad. I didn't know there was an adjustment for starting. Worth checking out. On a side note I noticed you are running the Dragula 2 into 1 . How do you like it and what baffle are you running.
Yeah, I think there is some adjustment for hard starts. I think it cuts the fuel or add more for a split second while firing up.
I really like my Dragula 2into1. It isn't real loud while cruising, which I like because it isn't obnoxious or anything, but has a nice throaty bark when I get into the throttle. I'm pretty sure it's the 2.55 baffle.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Might be a good time to invest in a laptop.

There area few things you can do yourself as far as troubleshooting and upgrades if you had one. Probably would offset the cost of your Indy. What if he might be the reason it's not running right to begin with.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
ballbreaker69
Tourer

Talked to my indy this morning. Since the only way you can converse with Zippers now is by email this is what they said.Causes and remedies for starting issues:
- low battery voltage-if battery is over 2 years old may not deliver power during start to thunder max module
-bad primary compensator- upgrade to SE compensator
-starter worn or damaged- starter bearing
-fuel pump leaking pressure, plugged fuel filter, pressure should be 55-62
Funny nobody told me that this is the criteria needed to ensure that the Tmax operates properly.
-Yes Jouneyman this is probably the best advice and something I will look into
- HDTimFLHX- glad you like the Dragula. Think this will be my next upgrade after I purchase a laptop.
Thanks to all that replied with advice. Greatly appreciated

Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM
garyFLHPI
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar problem . I changed batary and it is fine now. Voltage is very important for thundemax .

Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM
ballbreaker69
Tourer

In regards to the hard starting I forgot the first remedy for hard starting or engine kickback as Zippers stated that the first thing you should do is make sure you are running the lastest firmware version. THis should always be your first step. Mine has been updated with the latest firmware so we will see if this helps. Hoping this info helps anyone else who has this problem.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
ballbreaker69
Tourer

Thanks for the reply garyFLFPI. Since my battery is the original from 2010 I will have to check it out.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM
mr396
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The voltage is important to TMax. I don't know how old your battery is, but I would check the connections first. Make sure they are extremely tight, more than just a screwdriver tight. I had a loose connection and had issues. tightened it and no more issues.

I would say if you have problems with fuel (fuel filter or leaky fuel line) you would have problems during running and not just at start-up

My bike starts up almost immediately with Tmax. You pretty much tap the start button and can let go. Much better than with the stock ECM.

Quick Reply: hard starting [thundermax] ?