Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Antennas for SG

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts
Cool Short Antennas for SG

Ok, maybe this will sound stupid or simple, but here goes....
I have a 2012 Street Glide. I now have a tour PAC mounted solo style. I'm also getting ready to install a HD CB radio on it. I'm moving the tour PAC from the solo mount to a 2 UP mount and of course the tour PAC will interfere with the radio and CB antennas.
Question:if someone else has done this, what antenna did you go to? Did you move the antennas to another location? Can I cut the stock antennas to fit under the tour PAC?

I don't want to use the short rubber ducky antennas...I have tried the J&M hidden antennas in the past and didn't like the performance of them. I don't think I would like the hidden antennas from EBay either, based on the J&M I owned.

Looking for ideas, would really like to cut the stock antennas, if they'll still work. I know I would loose a little reception on the radio, the CB might be a no-go....

Just asking.

Last edited by Casper; 07-02-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Just for some clarification, the tour pac I have is the chopped pac, no antenna mounts on the box itself...

Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut it or go to Napa or auto one for a $6 Shorty.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I just picked up a $10 shortie from Pep Boys. Simply screwed right in and works pretty well. Still get lots of stations in AM, FM, & Weather Channel.

Keep reciept in case it does not work, but you can check it out in the parking lot.

As far as CB, you are on your own. Cutting down the stock antenna will not work.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 AM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a 8" billet chrome automotive Antenna. No loss of service and look great!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I had read on here some have either layed the antenna inside the fairing or mounted with the remote bracket that mounts to the rear fender bracket and just zip tie the antenna behind the side saddle bag. No help with the CB...

Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 AM
HDTimFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the bottom bolt on the mounting bracket and rolled it forward so now my antenna runs along the fender and follows the frame up under the seat and all the way up to the gas tank. It works almost as good as the stock location but at least as good or better than the HD hidden antenna I had on my last bike. If you do some searching on here there is a pretty good write up on exactly how to do this...

Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you can get an internal fairing antenna from Harley or j&p sells them. you can also buy a shorter antenna for the back.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CB is a Tx/Rx antenna. Anyone with knowledge of Variable Standing Wave Ratio (VSWR) will appreciate the pitfalls of cutting a Tx antenna.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 AM
GuNsLiNgEr420
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought one from ebay that is flexable and goes behind the fairing and installed it a few weeks ago. Works great as long as I am not moving, when driving, I get this popping sound. It is coming off tonight and I am putting the stock back on... I guess you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Short Antennas for SG