Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragonfly fairings???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:24 AM
ollie29
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragonfly fairings???

Hey guys I've been on the board for about two days this place is great!!

Here is my question does anyone have or had a dragonfly fairing with the aquatic system?

It looks great online and is a good concept but we all know that looks can be deceiving?

Any other complete water "proof' fairing and stereo systems you would recommend for a RK (don't have one yet doing my research while over seas). My needs dictate that it be a quick change system and lockable.

Thanks
OLLIE

Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I run a sony head unit http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158DSXM...-DSX-MS60.html
Along with a JL audio mhd 600/4 amp. http://www.jlaudio.com/mhd600-4-mari...plifiers-98224.

There's a lot of room in the fairing and you have more choices than most.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 AM
ollie29
Intermediate

Thanks Eric.
was it hard to hook up?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:48 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

The DF Aquatic system is new so I'd wait for some field reports before jumping on it. DF fairing is sweet with those 6x9 speakers. Unless u build/install a amp shelve though the bottom of fairing is open and exposed to elements. The Deadcenter fairing worth look as its enclosed on bottom. Below is DF I use to have on bike.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...-img-0481.html

Last edited by acchd; 09-22-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about water proof, but i have used resckless Fairings and currently running the same on my 04 road king and the the rain has not been an issue. 1000 miles and no issues.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ollie29
Thanks Eric.
was it hard to hook up?
Not at all, like I said there is a lot of room for many options. Most here will reccomend what their familiar with, the amount of power required in my system depends on my ride set up, with my Danny Grey solo and 6.5" klocwerks shield I get more more wind noise, looks great but you have to have loud clear volume to enjoy it, when I put my HD Hammock seat and 15" shield I can lower the volume substantially, the JL audio amp fits the bill for me. I previously had the arc mini, and rf pbr amps and it would not drive the system. With the Dragon Fly most of your water is going to get in between the two halves at the shield, after the install stretch duct tape between the two brackets, it will keep water off the equipment. As mentioned earlier a shelf will close the bottom.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The Dragonfly is one of the two or three best detach fairings, the stainless brackets that run through the interior and attach in several places makes the structure very stout. The nacelle completely fills in the underside, there's no issues with water getting to the electronics. I had one for several years in rainy Seattle, and never had water inside the fairing, and I ride in the rain frequently. My biggest issues with the detach fairings is that they all look like they're tilted forward and/or sit too high over the nacelle. Most guys that run the detach fairings rarely if ever remove them. I sold my Dragonfly fairing and the matching tins, and did a Road Glide conversion on my bike.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 AM
ollie29
Intermediate

thanks guys this is defiantly helped. I know that I'm gonna be taking the fairing of a lot cause my bike is gonna get stuck under a cover outside and I don't want the electronics out in the elements unless I'm riding it.

Eric do you think a bit of window cocking might be better the stay pliable kind so it doesn't fuse the gap just seals it or is it to tight in there to apply it neatly.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Pod
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We put a Dragonfly Fairing on my wife's Switchback and have had issues since day one. First, extremely bad wobble, second, the Aquatic AV radio has very bad reception even after I added Boom Audio antenna. Wind Diflectors do not match up as advertised on web site. The face plate has also cracked in 3 places. We are currently trying to get full refund. Safety is the main issue due to the wobble at 50 mph and up, no issue when we put ago cc k shield on.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 PM
spencer75
Intermediate

I've got a dragonfly fairing on my switchback, LOVE it - unlike Pod (sorry man! I hate hearing about that kind of stuff) I haven't had any issues at all. The fit and finish are just what I expected, and it sounds incredible. The Aquatic AV unit works great, and I've rocked this sucker in a nightmare of a downpour for about eight hours on the way from IL to TN with no trouble. The guys riding three bikes back were sick of me blasting AC/DC - it was drowning out their tunes. Hope this helps...