Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 limited vs. ultra

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Hedgehog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 limited vs. ultra

My friend and I are getting ready to purchase a pair of 2014 touring bikes. We originally wanted limited's but are now wondering due to the coolant issues.
The pro's of the limited is I love the two tone black and charcoal and the nicer wheels.
The con's of the limited is I want reliability and don't know how the coolant system will perform. Also, the lowers can't be removed. ( don't know if I would or not but its a option)
As far as the other differences between the two models, I can order the 6.5 radio on the ultra classic and I could care less about the luggage rack, cb or heated grips.
I would like to know if the twin cooled limited is that much coolerwhile in the saddle. I have never ridden a air cooled 103 so I don't have anything to compare the heat to. My last harley was a 2006, 88cu streetglide and heat was never a issue for me with this bike.
So, either bike would work for me but I do love the above mentioned two tone on the limited. Has harley fixed the coolant puking? Is the twin cooled motor that much cooler?
Any input would be appreciated.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Roadstar40
Intermediate

I would go with the ultra, but I like the paint job better on it than the limited. Plus I am also leary of all the problems they have had, or so it seems from the posts here.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Limited. Only a small percentage of Limiteds were coolant pukers and most of those that did puke and dribble are now fixed and riding problem free. The rider comfort in hot weather is much superior with the Limited. Also the engine power doesn't drop off nearly as much when the temps are up there. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Limited but that doesn't mean the Ultra isn't a fine machine!

Old 11-09-2013, 05:27 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadstar40
or so it seems from the posts here.
This.

There were a couple of bikes, and they've been fixed.

Where are "all the problems"?

Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Hedgehog
Cruiser

I just want what's best. If the twin cooled is the way to go and it's problems have been corrected, I'll go that way. If the affects of the twin cooled as far as riding temperatures don't make it worth the aggravation of the extra components that could fail, then I'll go with the classic. I would like to hear from limited owners that have previously ridden air cooled 103's to see if the temperature difference is dramatic.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '14 limited is noticeably cooler than my '12 limited was. Don't know what to tell you about your reliability concerns other than the only place I've heard it mentioned has been on this forum which would lead me to believe it's not as common a problem as people here would have you believe.

I've put 2000 miles on mine in a little over a month and no matter how hard I try, I can't get it to leak anything or get the radio to have any problems.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:35 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

The Twin Cool system is dead simple and should be very reliable. Besides increasing rider comfort, reducing engine temps should make for an even more reliable engine over the long haul.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I've beat it to death, but here goes again.

The 14 Limited is THE BEST MOTORCYCLE I HAVE EVER RIDEN.

I have been riding street bikes for 29 years.

It is cooler than my '11 was.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only speak to the air cooled, heat is a non issue on this bike for me. not going to bother changing the pipes or anything else. Either bike would be good, I do like the painted inner fairing on the limited and the wheels but I wanted a certain color and the extras weren't worth the extra cost to me. To each his/her own

Old 11-09-2013, 06:44 PM
curtis myers
Cruiser

I have the 2014 Limited with 4561 miles, zero issues so far (other then hydrolic brake recall). I do not use the words love or hate very often but I love every one of the 14 limited updates. I went to local dealer and rode a 2014 Ultra then a 2014 limited back to back. Took my time on each ride. Even stopped and idled for 15 mins on each ride to build heat. When I got back from riding the Limited the Ultra was still hotter then the Limited which I just got off of. I recommend you go toa local dealer and ride each and judge for yourself. I believe the 2014 Touring Harlies are the best ever and you cannot go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: 2014 limited vs. ultra