Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Nightstick reviews wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default SE Nightstick reviews wanted

Would like to learn more about the SE Nightsticks. Do they a nice deep sound or are they a higher tinney sound? Are they good for performance? I like the idea of an EPA stamped muffler that can easily be tuned to be louder with open end caps or more disks. Do they sound good after adding more disks and or open end cap?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:19 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I use them, and have used supertrapps on Harleys for over 20 years. ( supertrapp makes the fatshots and nightsticks for screamin eagle)

with a closed end cap, all the gasses are forced out between the disks through a passage that looks like a "W" in profile. the W has unequal lengths and it designed to break up sound waves while retaining flow.
The sound waves broken up and blocked are the higher frequency waves, so that the lower frequencies are emphasized.

(So a following rider or someone directly behind the bike will not suffer hearing a tinny rattle I sometimes notice from some exhaust systems)

in this way, Supertrapps have high flow numbers - and have been at or near the top of muffler comparos for over 30 years - while not being loud.

the epa rating makes them compliant as equipped for 2010+ models ( cat bikes).
They are also USFS complaint as spark arrest, in case you are racing your Harley through the forest

the "tamper proof" screws are easily removed, and like any disk system supertrapps the mufflers can be altered for sound or performance needs- ebay is a source for disks and screws, endcaps.

in minutes by the rider

the "open end caps" are equivalent to about 10 stacked disks ( flow)- more disks gives more flow and more horsepower, but torque may suffer ( this is always a compromise)

tuning on my previous bikes was a balancing act between pipes, carb and timing to enhance torque or hp.

on the 09 ( no cat) it is perhaps more apparent what the disks do.

and with the stock headers I find that closed end caps with about 9 disks left side, 15 disks rt side give good power, lots of torque for city riding and twisties.
My saddlebags carry a few more disks, when touring where the motor is at speed all day, I add about 3 disks each side to emphasis HP, good for passing.

alot of riders use more disks and/or open caps than I do- about 25 or 27 disks is equivalent to 100% flow without restrictive- however that can result in lower exhaust velocity and actually reduce potential performance due to scavenging at lower rpm.

My bike is not loud, I can come and go without bothering neighbors, but enough so that traffic knows I'm there. Hearing loss ( 35 years in rock and roll) is an issue for me.

here's my current set up...there are closed caps in there, and the left side has dummy disks sealed together with no flow between them so that the disk stacks are the same length:

I also sometimes use snuf r nots, which open/close with an allen key

On my various bikes, as the motors have been built or changed, the mufflers can be retuned to match.

and if compliance enforcement is ever an issue-there is a certification on the muffler - or if needed easily put back to stock with a few screws

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-16-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:28 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Hated mine, use to get picked on that my bike sounded like a moped. Tried to remove the end cap but it didn't help. Hated it so much I wouldn't even sell it, gave it to a friend so he didn't have to waste his money on one.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:46 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

I bought a set of them on eBay for a great buy. Should be here in about 10 days.

I will be putting them on a totally stock 103 with the cat still in the head pipe. I do not like loud, but want a deeper rumble than I am getting from my stock pipes. I'm hoping this does the trick.

I will review after install and let you know what I think.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:50 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Similar to the Fatshotz, except the baffle is solid rather than perforated, and it uses a closed end cap to compensate for the louder baffle. They're EPA compliant on the converter-equipped 96s and 103s, but not on the 110.

I'm running the Fatshotz and Jackpot head pipe on my 110. I bought the tuning kit and went to 15 discs with closed caps. It's louder than stock obviously, but not appreciably louder than the stock CVO mufflers were with the Jackpot. They make substantially more power everywhere than the stock mufflers, and there was a huge gain in volumetric efficiency.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:01 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

What they said. I'm also running Fatshotz; 19 disc, open caps with Fullsack Xpipe, 109tq/99hp. Borderline loud for me but no problem hearing the stereo and no one complains about them. I'm a recognized Supertrapp fan.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
What they said. I'm also running Fatshotz; 19 disc, open caps with Fullsack Xpipe, 109tq/99hp. Borderline loud for me but no problem hearing the stereo and no one complains about them. I'm a recognized Supertrapp fan.
Do they have a nice deep sound or a raspy tinney type of sound?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Install the Fatshotz with the perforated internal baffle and open end cap. That baffle design cuts the high frequency noise very well and with the open end cap is essentially a straight through muffler yet quiet.

The Nightsticks depend on the closed end cap to kill the sound. That can make Supertrapps raspy in my experience.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:37 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
Nightsticks are not deep at all, pretty quiet and just above stock.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:46 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
I don't know how deep they are but they don't have the raspy tinney clatter a lot of guys think is kool for some reason. Ya need to listen to them because some guys really hate them.

Quick Reply: SE Nightstick reviews wanted