Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide with 13" shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Street Glide with 13" shocks?

So after doing some extended day trips with my wife on the SG I think I would like to either get some quality 12" shocks like Progressive, 13" OEM Adjustables, or 13" Progressives. If I opt for the 13" shocks does it really change the look of the bike? I mean can you really see the 1" difference and is it a bad thing? And finally does a good set of 12" shocks really make that big of a difference over the factory SG air shocks? Thanks!

Old 11-19-2013, 02:02 PM
pat1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my trip to Daytona with a loaded bike I bought a set of used progressive 440 13 inch shocks and now I'm in heaven. The 12's were fine around town solo but loaded they sucked bad. My back was killing me. These 13 inch 440's are great! I think the ride quality out weighs the look. It doesn't look bad. IMO

Old 11-19-2013, 02:14 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Quite a few members have converted to 13" air shocks, which gives an extra inch of travel. I don't think your bike will look much different to any other Glide with them fitted! As for your question does a good set of shocks make a difference? Oh yes! Shock threads are abundant, so get a long drink and read a few recent ones.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Just put 13"'s on my Road Glide Custom. Much smoother. It sits a little higher but I wanted more ground clearance along with a better ride.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I think it does change the look, but I like low bikes. People that are fanatics about the ride quality though love the longer shocks. My brother has a 2006 Road Glide and he put some Ohlins on it and raves about how great it handles and rides now.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I believe that Harley put shorter shocks (not firmer riding shocks) on their street glides as they expected them to routinely carry lighter loads than the more fully equipped full baggers.

When riding with the tour pack loaded up and riding double, carrying a passenger and double the luggage, it makes sense to add additional travel to allow for a greater amount of sag with all the stuff.

Since they expected the Street Glides (with no tour pack, lowers etc) to be less burdened they could get away with shorter shocks, give a better look, and allow for easier reach to the ground.

They also equipped it with a lower profile seat that is shaped more for riding single, with a smaller passenger area.

While it works OK for long distance riding (you see a ton of them on the road) those wishing to optimize long distance comfort may consider a plusher seat and shocks.

For occasional long distance riding, a sheepskin cover for the riders seat, and a few extra pressure in the shocks and tires, can make for a pretty comfy cruiser. (for passenger comfort a more padded rear area is essential)

Old 11-19-2013, 02:52 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

I have the 13" HD premium hand adjustable shocks on my 2011 Street Glide.

At first, I did notice it sitting ever so slightly higher. But you can't really see it very easy.
You would have to park 2 bikes side by side and look real close to see the difference.

You will notice the much improved ride though, especially two-up.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

It is barely noticeable height wise when sitting on it but I do notice it when looking at the bike. If the 12" shocks rode worth a damn I would have kept them, but they didn't.

Then when I discovered a long scratch on m,y lower exhaust from cornering I knew I had to do 13"'s. If I get the bug again I'll get 13.5" Ohlins or JRI's but this is fine for now.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think a quality set of 12" shocks from Progressive or Ohlin would equal the ride quality of say OEM 13" air shocks off a limited or ultra?

Old 11-19-2013, 03:38 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
Do you think a quality set of 12" shocks from Progressive or Ohlin would equal the ride quality of say OEM 13" air shocks off a limited or ultra?
Yes, but that isn't saying much because the stock shocks, no matter the length, suck. My RK had 12" SG shocks and 1" lower Racetech lowering kit on the front. Terrible plus no corning clearance! First thing I did was put Progressive 13" 940s on the rear and raise the front back up. When I took the 13" progressives off my RK to put on my EG when I got it and put the old 12" SG shocks back on, I can't even explain how bad they are. Bottoms with little rebound damping. Just got some Ohlins for the EG so the progressives are going back on the RK.

Quick Reply: Street Glide with 13" shocks?