Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Infotainment issues Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 AM
DiabloV
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 2014 Infotainment issues Part 2.

This is a continuation of discussion of issues with the 6.5 Boom! Audio/Navi system for those that might be looking for more info, possible fixes, or to report on software bugs etc. in the hope that HD will start working on a solution. The reason I started this thread is because a previous similar thread was ruined by trolls posting garbage that had nothing to do with the topic, or spouting opinions of people who “complain” of these issues. I am thankful to the originator of the previous post and it’s too bad some people kept on trying to derail the discussion. 30 pages of reading for 3 pages of relevant discussion due to all the garbage.
Moderators- please help keep the trolls away and keep it on topic. We will be grateful.
The original post is here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-pathetic.html
OK, to start off – I bought the new Street Glide Special and this week decided to get the “Infotainment” system updated with latest software and to see how it does with playing music on a thumb drive.
As well, I wanted to research where this head unit came from and who was responsible for the GPS software, and how to find answers.
First things first:
The GPS Software is from iGo, NOT Garmin.

iGo is a European GPS software sold wholesale by NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc. Based in Budapest, Hungary. The hardware is manufactured by the Harmon Division of NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc. The hardware/software combo is sold as “white box” to various automotive companies who in turn put their own brand on everything after specifying what features they want. This “white box” marketing is used in many industries, not just this one, so get used to it. NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc. also provides the “naviextras” website hosting to the client companies for those client companies to put their own brands on. That is why we now have a “Harley Davidson naviextras” website. The “extras” that we can purchase and the $149.95 map updates are provided by NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc. who splits the profit with the client company .

Issue # 1: The “Contact Us” page has been deleted, in case you want to ask a question from an actual human somewhere. This is on the Naviextras website where you read through the common FAQ’s and then click on the “Contact Us” link if you don’t find your answer. More on this later.
Here are the issues that caused me to want to contact their customer support, and please verify if the issue pops up on your bike:

Issue #2: I followed the procedure to take a snapshot of the infotainment system (Called “Export for Update” )which is detailed in the Windows program you must install called “Navi Extras Toolbox”, using a clean 8 gig thumb drive.
Two things happened – it showed a map update available for purchase (Issue #3, coming up) and it downloaded a “system update” onto my thumb drive which I assumed was meant to install on the bike.
There is no explanation of what this system update accomplishes. It consists of two files: “ swdl.iso “and “synchtool.TBver”. The ISO file starts out as 14 MB but unpacks to 28 MB, a bunch of various folders with driver files etc. I did this manually to see what was in the ISO but the infotainment system (hereafter called “the bike”) is supposed to read the ISO as-is and install it. I tried installing it on the bike two ways – once by leaving the update on the USB drive along with the “Export for Update” folder, and once by having only the update files on the drive. In both cases the bike started reading the thumb drive and announced it was “validating software” for a minute or so. Then it announced that the file was “invalid’. Note that the bike was already updated with the patch 1.17 given out on the HD website prior to all this, in case this turns out to be the issue.

Issue #3: UPDATE. HD discovered this is a map update for AUDI or another car and is having issues with naviextras.com. The aforementioned map Update was the North America Version 2012Q4 and it showed that my bike had 2012Q2. To me this means the Q4 map is 6 months newer than the Q2 map, as in 4th quarter vs 2nd quarter. I then called HD Customer Service ( 800-258-2464, 414-343-4051) and was eventually routed to someone who could help me. That someone was of no help at all, had zero answers, and as far as I could tell, was not in the least interested in providing any answers. He reluctantly admitted hearing of the complaints about the 9 waypoint limit, and denied there were any newer map updates, saying “they were told no new maps were to be out until August 2014.”
“But sir, your software is trying to sell me a newer map for 150 bucks and this is a brand new bike”.
He could not explain the issue other than to keep denying that a newer map existed. The local dealer is now trying to work with me since they didn’t even know where the software came from and told me it was “garmin” prior to the sale. I sent the “export for update” file to him and today will try to walk him through the sequence so that they can get a clear picture of what the problems are. He will use my password and my file to go through the update process and see the patch being downloaded and see the newer map being offered for purchase. If it happens as it happened to me then perhaps Milwaukee will get an earful from the dealer, and perhaps they will acknowledge the issues. That is all the info I have for now. If you have new bugs to report or helpful info, please post here. Please don’t bash HD or bash people who are trying to work on getting an eventual fix for the issues.
I LOVE riding my new Glide by the way !
As far as previously reported issues I know about: 9 waypoint limit, night/day Nav screen bug, Motorcycle icon switching bug, station switching bug. The various smartphone compatibility bugs are probably too complex to discuss here in this thread but bear in mind they advertised only a few known compatible devices. I will post more info as I get it.
“Diablo Viejo”

Other links:

NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc.
DBA : iGO
http://www.igonavigation.com
Contacts:
Possibly: Örs Téglásy
VP, Harman Business Unit

Issue added: (from above) NO CONTACT INFO FOR ANYONE IN HD OR iGo OR HARMAN FOR SUPPORT ISSUES !!!!!!!!!
Issue added: (Recap of above) Update loaded from NaviExtras Toolbox will not install on the motorcycle unit, filename swdl.iso
Issue added: Compass not pointing north when set to do so, during navigation.
Issue added: Cannot delete externally loaded GPX route files from "saved" folder.( Need more details on this)
Issue added: No motorcycle Icon at all to select, not same as "disappearing" motorcycle icon bug.
Issue added: Automatic Volume Control doesn't work.
Issue added: (Recap of known bug) Starting system in dark area then moving into daylight -screen stays in night mode unless reset manually.

Last edited by DiabloV; 11-22-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 11-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Good post/info. This reflects my experience as well, however I would add 2 additional points:

1 - The map version for North America shows as an available update from the "World" region. Selecting the "North America" region shows no additional updates currently available.

2 - Additional issue with the bike; when the NAV is active and the travel north option has been selected, the compass icon in the upper right quadrant of the screen does not correctly indicate North. IE, if traveling East, the compass icon points right on the screen (South) and if traveling West, the compass icon points left on the screen (South). If traveling North, the compass icon points up on the screen (North). This is obviously an issue with the calculation for the compass icon, since the NAV does actually understand which direction is actually North.

Most frustrating has been the inability to provide feedback or comments to someone responsible for correcting/fixing these issues. If anyone has been able to identify or contact a responsible party or individual within MoCo, HK, or NaviExtras, please share so we can voice our concern in numbers that will get their attention.

Thanks.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 AM
DiabloV
Advanced

I tried it again. Same result. On my "home" screen it shows my device map :
Available Contents:
Map of USA, Canada and Mexico
2012 Q2
Right next to it is shown the map being offered for sale:

best offers > Map of North America

The latest maps for North America.

Includes: Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, United States.
Road coverage with over 6 918 098 miles / 11 133 600 km kilometers of updated roads.
149.95 USD READ MORE > Released: 2012 Q4
File size: 2869 MB

There was a server search for map patches that I noticed failed saying "try again later" due to server error.
I did not know about the compass bug. That's a new one. I will add this to the original post.

Edit: second try loaded new map offers, same thing, but the server was working fine this time.
same "newer" map offered. The map offer was loaded based on what is installed on my bike.
Watch the lower right corner of the screen to see the server/program activity.

Last edited by DiabloV; 11-21-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I know nothing about these new radios/gps, but since they seem to function the same as a computer, I wonder if a competent computer repair person or IT guy could help get these things working. I doubt you are going to find too many competent computer people at a Harley Davidson dealer, let alone from the company.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:21 AM
DiabloV
Advanced
Originally Posted by Guntoter
I know nothing about these new radios/gps, but since they seem to function the same as a computer, I wonder if a competent computer repair person or IT guy could help get these things working. I doubt you are going to find too many competent computer people at a Harley Davidson dealer, let alone from the company.
Nice Nambu there in your avatar.
The person I spoke with yesterday at Moco claimed he knew about the system and "they have someone there" who's an expert on it. I never had a chance to talk to that "someone" and got the impression this guy wanted nothing more than to get me and my pesky questions off the phone. This is my first HD so I have to admit I am feeling really let down by their customer support - I was expecting better. That said, I think we can get them to deal with this since they are supposedly interested in biker feedback. The infotainment fiasco will bite them if they don't. I don't want to disclose the dealer involved in order to give them time to work with HD on it, but it was made clear to me that HD did not educate their dealers on this system, so someone who sells over 1000 units/year will have a better chance of getting the attention of the bigwigs than I.
I did read the config file to learn the operating system is called "QNX" OS, Version 6.5.0. There is a famous group of smartphone hackers, forgot the name of the website, but they write whole new operating software for the various mobile phones. I am no programmer, but I bet it could be done. Rather than leaning that direction we should first ask the original software engineers to look into some solutions.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:30 AM
DiabloV
Advanced
More info on the software that runs the HD Infotainment.
It is the QNX OS which runs on most car systems:
"In 2004, the company announced it had been sold to Harman International Industries. Prior to this acquisition, QNX software was already widely used in the automotive industry for telematics systems. Since the purchase by Harman, QNX software has been designed into over 200 different automobile makes and models — not only in telematics systems but in infotainment and navigation units as well. The QNX CAR Application Platform is running in over 20 million vehicles as of mid-2011. The company has since released several middleware products including the QNX Aviage Multimedia Suite, the QNX Aviage Acoustic Processing Suite and the QNX HMI Suite."

It is also the core of the Blackberry 10 operating system.
I know we are just Harley riders, but you might be able to dazzle your local HD dealer with this trivia. Other than that it doesn't help me much except to realize there are probably hundreds or thousands of programmers out there who work with it, based on the number of car infotainment systems using it (millions). This in turn might increase the odds that some corporate peon will eventually be assigned to work on the issues.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another problem with the Nav System that I have had is that when I download trips in gpx format it works good; however, when I import the waypoints in gpx format it goes directly to Saved section & will not let you delete them from there. Had to go back to dealer to have them flash system back to factory default. Sounds like it could be fixed with an update to software.
BTW excellent post & thank you for taking time on this.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM
RobsSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Never buy an OEM GPS

I got caught up in an OEM GPS deal with my car. It cost 200 bucks to upgrade and it didn't do half of what a simple Garmin will do. I have a RAM mount and a Garmin 250 on my bike. I buy them referbed on ebay for 30 bucks. If it dies, I get another one. Pep boys usually have the Garmins afordable and new in the box for around 79-99 bucks. Garmin works great. Is it waterproof? No, but I keep a zip lock bag and a rubber band in my saddle back in case I need it in the rain. If I am stopped some place I am worried about it, I pop it off of the mount and lock it up in my saddle bag. Takes mere seconds. Go Garmin!.

Originally Posted by DiabloV
This is a continuation of discussion of issues with the 6.5 Boom! Audio/Navi system for those that might be looking for more info, possible fixes, or to report on software bugs etc. in the hope that HD will start working on a solution. The reason I started this thread is because a previous similar thread was ruined by trolls posting garbage that had nothing to do with the topic, or spouting opinions of people who “complain” of these issues. I am thankful to the originator of the previous post and it’s too bad some people kept on trying to derail the discussion. 30 pages of reading for 3 pages of relevant discussion due to all the garbage.
Moderators- please help keep the trolls away and keep it on topic. We will be grateful.
The original post is here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-pathetic.html
OK, to start off – I bought the new Street Glide Special and this week decided to get the “Infotainment” system updated with latest software and to see how it does with playing music on a thumb drive.
As well, I wanted to research where this head unit came from and who was responsible for the GPS software, and how to find answers.
First things first:
The GPS Software is from iGo, NOT Garmin.

iGo is a European GPS software sold wholesale by NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc. Based in Budapest, Hungary. The hardware is manufactured by the Harmon Division of NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc. The hardware/software combo is sold as “white box” to various automotive companies who in turn put their own brand on everything after specifying what features they want. This “white box” marketing is used in many industries, not just this one, so get used to it. NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc. also provides the “naviextras” website hosting to the client companies for those client companies to put their own brands on. That is why we now have a “Harley Davidson naviextras” website. The “extras” that we can purchase and the $149.95 map updates are provided by NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc. who splits the profit with the client company .

Issue # 1: The “Contact Us” page has been deleted, in case you want to ask a question from an actual human somewhere. This is on the Naviextras website where you read through the common FAQ’s and then click on the “Contact Us” link if you don’t find your answer. More on this later.
Here are the issues that caused me to want to contact their customer support, and please verify if the issue pops up on your bike:

Issue #2: I followed the procedure to take a snapshot of the infotainment system (Called “Export for Update” )which is detailed in the Windows program you must install called “Navi Extras Toolbox”, using a clean 8 gig thumb drive.
Two things happened – it showed a map update available for purchase (Issue #3, coming up) and it downloaded a “system update” onto my thumb drive which I assumed was meant to install on the bike.
There is no explanation of what this system update accomplishes. It consists of two files: “ swdl.iso “and “synchtool.TBver”. The ISO file starts out as 14 MB but unpacks to 28 MB, a bunch of various folders with driver files etc. I did this manually to see what was in the ISO but the infotainment system (hereafter called “the bike”) is supposed to read the ISO as-is and install it. I tried installing it on the bike two ways – once by leaving the update on the USB drive along with the “Export for Update” folder, and once by having only the update files on the drive. In both cases the bike started reading the thumb drive and announced it was “validating software” for a minute or so. Then it announced that the file was “invalid’. Note that the bike was already updated with the patch 1.17 given out on the HD website prior to all this, in case this turns out to be the issue.

Issue #3: The aforementioned map Update was the North America Version 2012Q4 and it showed that my bike had 2012Q2. To me this means the Q4 map is 6 months newer than the Q2 map, as in 4th quarter vs 2nd quarter. I then called HD Customer Service ( 800-258-2464, 414-343-4051) and was eventually routed to someone who could help me. That someone was of no help at all, had zero answers, and as far as I could tell, was not in the least interested in providing any answers. He reluctantly admitted hearing of the complaints about the 9 waypoint limit, and denied there were any newer map updates, saying “they were told no new maps were to be out until August 2014.”
“But sir, your software is trying to sell me a newer map for 150 bucks and this is a brand new bike”.
He could not explain the issue other than to keep denying that a newer map existed. The local dealer is now trying to work with me since they didn’t even know where the software came from and told me it was “garmin” prior to the sale. I sent the “export for update” file to him and today will try to walk him through the sequence so that they can get a clear picture of what the problems are. He will use my password and my file to go through the update process and see the patch being downloaded and see the newer map being offered for purchase. If it happens as it happened to me then perhaps Milwaukee will get an earful from the dealer, and perhaps they will acknowledge the issues. That is all the info I have for now. If you have new bugs to report or helpful info, please post here. Please don’t bash HD or bash people who are trying to work on getting an eventual fix for the issues.
I LOVE riding my new Glide by the way !
As far as previously reported issues I know about: 9 waypoint limit, night/day Nav screen bug, Motorcycle icon switching bug, station switching bug. The various smartphone compatibility bugs are probably too complex to discuss here in this thread but bear in mind they advertised only a few known compatible devices. I will post more info as I get it.
“Diablo Viejo”

Other links:

NNG Software Developing and Commercial Llc.
DBA : iGO
http://www.igonavigation.com
Contacts:
Possibly: Örs Téglásy
VP, Harman Business Unit

Issue added: Compass not pointing north when set to do so, during navigation.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM
dubiez
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last bike : 2008 model FLTHCUI

Noproblem:
-Samsung Note II: pairing, phonebook sync, MP3 BT play
-Good sound
-Clear visable screen even in bright sunlight
-USB Export for NaviExtras (although de updat swdll.iso is doing nothing)

Problems:

My Dutch FLHTK has version 1.16.9
The "newest" software 1.17.1.1 is dated 27 august 2013
Anyway all i get is
"The ISO image on the attached USB is corrupt or incompatible"
Several usb sticks, sizes, reboots, unzips.... whatever: no success.
Finally to MOCO, over there also a 1.16.9 FLHTK.
They could not update my and their bike.

-No functional AVC

-Unable to influence the equalizer

-After TA(traffic anouncement) BT connection lost.

-9 points route

-not yet successfull import of my (saved) adresses

-Outdates maps on Navieextra's Q4 2012!!!!!!

But the Bike is a Super ride
Great lights, no wind turbulece anymore, super stable at low speed,
1 hand for the baggers, retractable holder for tourpack lid,
great brake performance, button for cruise control at right place (left),
Fill up gastank in 1 go (no dripp for the last 2 litres),
hydrolic clutch, mor luggage space, 12v power in the tourpack

Last edited by dubiez; 11-21-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Duth bike
Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 AM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent some time with my Dealer's Service Manager a week ago, and while we were talking about who made the head unit and who provided the software, he called the Dealers' infotainment hotline.

"Expert" on the other end said Harmon Kardon makes the new head units.

I said "Harmon Kardon and not Harmon? I've read differently and they are 2 separate companies", he said "Harmon Kardon". I wanted to verify, so I said "are you sure?" to which he said "positive".

I then asked who provided the software engine and he replied "Garmin", which matched what H-D's Customer Service reps were saying in the early days (haven't checked back in a while).

So don't blame the Dealers for faulty information, this is being provided to them by H-D's "experts" on the Dealers-only hotline.

Quick Reply: 2014 Infotainment issues Part 2.