Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wobble still affects the 2014's

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The wobble still affects the 2014's

We went out for a ride Sunday since the weather was nice and temps hit the low 70's here in North Texas. About 20 of us headed east for lunch and then some back road cruising after lunch. Put in about 200 miles and all was great but decided to hit the super slab to make better time back to Dallas. Four of us were running the normal 80mph when we hit this long 1/4 mile high speed sweeper with a little banking that connected two hwys. Feeling aggressive my brother and I hit the sweeper hard at about 75mph (posted speed is 60) planing to hold our line and accelerate out of the curve. About 3/4 of the way thru the sweeper I noticed my brothers bike beginning to wobble a bit as I was following him, and then felt mine wobble just a bit. Nothing bad or scary but it did cause us both to back off until we were thru the sweeper. I guess I'll do a little more research on the available stabilizers like the True Track and Progressives new unit. I know I tend to ride a little on the aggressive side for a bagger but I enjoy the twisties like most riders and want the bike to feel as stable as possible in all situations. I've never felt the wobble while cornering the usual back roads around here but those corners are not normally long fast sweepers where you would hold a constant 75+. And that seems to be the type of corner that brings the wobble out.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

this is going to be good

Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Big Boz

this is going to be good
Lol.. I'm not looking to start a debate but was more or less offering my PSA..lol.. This being my third bagger the wobble is nothing new to me and with the improvements they made on the 2014's I didn't expect it to be completely cured. And as stated it wasn't anything violent that would make me not want to ride the bike or anything like that. With the past two bikes it was something I just lived with and was aware of but this time out I think I might spend the $200 for something like the new progressive unit and see if they work first hand. God knows I've wasted more than $200 in the past...lol

Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still thinking about the 70 degree weather you mentioned! I'm jealous

Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a wobble with my 14 SGS but only above 80 when changing lanes aggressively or when pushing it hard in canyons.
My friend has a 14 SG that is solid as a rock and impossible to make wobble. His steering is much heavier than mine so my guess is his neck bearing is adjusted tighter than mine?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

That's a good point on the neck bearings. I might have to check the tq on those this spring. I normally run on the high side of the factory specs.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

How was tire pressure, hot and cold weather can mess with the tires.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Petesflhtk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I have never had a bike with a wobble. I ride the interstate with all the time. If Harley had an issue with it I would ride a different bike, just saying.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmmmm.....

Quick Reply: The wobble still affects the 2014's