Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firearms and cruising

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firearms and cruising

Does anyone know anything about taking a handgun along on a long cruise - is it legal? I believe you can have one in your car, but what about the bike? And if you could have one, would it have to be visible or out of sight?

And if you did have a gun, where would you keep it? Seems like in a saddle bag would not be of much use. I have a permit to carry, but it still limits you to where you can carry.

I think I read on someone's post the quote, "Its better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it."

Hack

Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 PM
spartns
Road Master
Default RE: Firearms and cruising

It varies by state. Give your local deputy a call. In most cases, it's OK to carry.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a belly bag that i got locally that doubles as a holster. many other riders use holsters of different types. you certainly have to have a concealed weapons permit. also, there is a web site that lists requirements for most states. http://www.packing.org./

Its a big no-no in canada, unless you want to be a long-term tourist at canadian government expense.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/9B6D38C15DBA49C8A779A2F280C6841D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/DCB347514E504F6DB89024F52808038B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-27-2007, 11:29 PM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Check out the NRA at http://www.nra.org/

all you need to know. If you're not a member I encourage you to join.

berettag, NRA Endowment Member, Instructor, Recruiter

Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know alot of folks that do!! Including me

Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: btefft

Does anyone know anything about taking a handgun along on a long cruise - is it legal? I believe you can have one in your car, but what about the bike? And if you could have one, would it have to be visible or out of sight?

And if you did have a gun, where would you keep it? Seems like in a saddle bag would not be of much use. I have a permit to carry, but it still limits you to where you can carry.

I think I read on someone's post the quote, "Its better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it."

Hack
It's legal to have a weapon in your car in all 50 states. However is has to be locked up, separate from ammo in many of them. Bike is the same as car usually, but then you have to have a proper place to keep it in that case.

I typically don't ride to states that don't honor my CCW permit. The only one that isa pain is Nevada. (rarely travel to California).

Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Tactical1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

Hack
It's legal to have a weapon in your car in all 50 states. However is has to be locked up, separate from ammo in many of them. Bike is the same as car usually, but then you have to have a proper place to keep it in that case.

I typically don't ride to states that don't honor my CCW permit. The only one that isa pain is Nevada. (rarely travel to California).
Nevada has a non-resident permit available, but I do agree they need reciprocity with Az and other states.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

Hack

you have to like how Az honors NV but NV does nto honor AZ...... Then their is the **** hole town of Boulder City (the town right after the dam) it has its own rules and CCW or not, from Az or not... you ccannot have aloaded gun that is not locked PERIOD!!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

What good is a weapon in an emergency if it is locked up and its ammo stored separately? That's got to be a thing the gun ban lobby was put upon us.

Any law abiding citizen of this country should have the right to protect themself and their property - do we?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,999 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Packing dot org is your best resource for info as said above.
http://www.packing.org/

While your at it buy my holster.....

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1430748/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Firearms and cruising