Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Stand Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jiffy Stand Failure

Went for a ride yesterday, down through Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Cosby, Newport, Del Rio and headed back home through Houston Valley. We stopped at a pull-off for a rest. I got back on my Road King and while putting my helmet back on, the bike was still resting on the jiffy stand. All of a sudden, there was a loud metal pop and the bike went over. It rested on the engine guard and the foot board, no damage done. When I got home, I jacked it up and examined the jiffy stand and couldn't find a reason for this. The bike was parked on a very slight incline, front higher than the rear. I can only imagine that I leaned the bike over on the jiffy stand before it was in position to fully lock??? Just don't know. Anyone else experience this?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:55 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like it was resting on the lock tab and it was not fully seated, move the while gearing up and POP it went and the stand folded up. Had it happen years ago and thanks to crash bars no damage.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Sounds like it was resting on the lock tab and it was not fully seated, move the while gearing up and POP it went and the stand folded up. Had it happen years ago and thanks to crash bars no damage.
I have seen this happen to others and watch the tap engage the slot every time before getting off the bike.

The following users liked this post:
Rob Harper (05-06-2024)
Old 05-08-2014, 03:44 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,259 Likes on 8,544 Posts

You were able to retract the jiffy stand before you rode and the spring held it in place?

Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Not to high jack this but reminds me. I do and recommend that all riders pack a extra jiffy spring and a 1/2" Wrench in their bike. Pretty cheap and light and well needed in case yours snags somewhere on your ride.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

IDK, it sounds like just one of those freak things that happens when something isn't quite "set" correctly. Since you're probably going to think about it EVERY time you put the kick stand down from now on, I'd bet my house that it won't happen again.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Jiffy stand or operator failure? As said I make sure its locked.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Something isn't right here. If the tab was not completely in place, wouldn't the front tire being higher make the bike want to roll backwards, which would fully engage it? Did the bike move forward or backward or as you state just fill over? If it just fill over, I'd be doing some serious looking. Something broke. I just don't see how rolling a little backward, even if not fully locked would make it fall over. I'm missing something.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 244 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
Something isn't right here. If the tab was not completely in place, wouldn't the front tire being higher make the bike want to roll backwards, which would fully engage it? Did the bike move forward or backward or as you state just fill over? If it just fill over, I'd be doing some serious looking. Something broke. I just don't see how rolling a little backward, even if not fully locked would make it fall over. I'm missing something.
Having hard time picturing it too downhill it's highly possible but uphill it will lock it self up once it's extended.Only time time I pay attention to it make sure it's locked if bike might role forward but rolling backward it always locks automatically.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 PM
margin5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my jiffy stand break last year on a HOG ride. We parked on a gravel shoulder and had to take off fast. My stand was dug into the gravel and when I took off it make a loud snap. I didn't know anything happened until 3 stops later when it finally gave out. Make sure you check it over good.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Stand Failure