Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump or Regulator issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:21 AM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel pump or Regulator issue?

So I changed out the filter and the 2 hoses in the gas tank. Still have the issue. Couldn't find any signs of a leak in the old hoses. I can hear that the fuel pump when it turns on but it seems louder than normal. The sound I thought was holes seems to be the pump or regulator. Can the fuel pump fail and still continue to kick on? Could it be the pressure regulator? The bike has about 50k miles.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 AM
sg2007
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bike and year!!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:39 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

It can be starting to fail. It depends, if the system were plugged for a lengthy time the pump may have been straining to deliver fuel and wearing out bushings or windings. Now that you released the blockage with a new filter, the pump may be making noise from had been straining for so long.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:49 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jamess71
So I changed out the filter and the 2 hoses in the gas tank. Still have the issue. Couldn't find any signs of a leak in the old hoses. I can hear that the fuel pump when it turns on but it seems louder than normal. The sound I thought was holes seems to be the pump or regulator. Can the fuel pump fail and still continue to kick on? Could it be the pressure regulator? The bike has about 50k miles.
Yes it can still run and not pump or the regulator can be leaking. One thing you may try is open the fuel cap and turn on the pump and see if you see the fuel swerling around. If you do there is a leak some where, either the pump or regulator. Also need to just check the fuel pressure. Not sure on 06 if same as later models but laters run around 55 to 60 psi. Running should not go below 45 psi.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

usually....if the pump is bad it will continue to run and not pump up to the correct pressure..if it pumps up to the correct pressure and stops it is good..that said, if it is noisy it is prolly going bad...now..if it pumps up and stops, and the pressure is too low the reglulator is bad OR if the pressure is higher than called for and pump continues to run the regulator is bad ..this is the fuel regulator i am speaking of not the regulator for the charging system...if I remember right the pump turns on around <40psi and off around 50psi...

Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 AM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
usually....if the pump is bad it will continue to run and not pump up to the correct pressure..if it pumps up to the correct pressure and stops it is good..that said, if it is noisy it is prolly going bad...now..if it pumps up and stops, and the pressure is too low the reglulator is bad OR if the pressure is higher than called for and pump continues to run the regulator is bad ..this is the fuel regulator i am speaking of not the regulator for the charging system...if I remember right the pump turns on around <40psi and off around 50psi...
The fuel pump does pump up and stop. Making a different sound than normal. Maybe bearings grinding sound? Once I start it the fuel pump stays on. The motor is popping and backfiring when I give it gas, like it's starving for fuel. I guess if I have to pull it all apart again I might as well change both the pump and the fuel regulator.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Aceditall
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it possibly a fuel pump ??

The fuel pump does pump up and stop. Making a different sound than normal. Maybe bearings grinding sound? Once I start it the fuel pump stays on. The motor is popping and backfiring when I give it gas, like it's starving for fuel. I guess if I have to pull it all apart again I might as well change both the pump and the fuel regulator.
Please update as I'm having the same issue. Just purchased the regulator and have replaced all the fuel lines in the tank along with the filter. Pump runs and pumps up and stops; but sounds different like gas spraying somewhere (hence the replacement of fuel lines). Runs like crap, sputtering, popping and die. Got increasingly worse where I don't think its rideable now. My next option is the Fuel pump but i've never heard of a pump springing a leak like it sounds in the tank.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

You should start by testing the fuel pressure with a gauge. It should be somewhere between 55 and 62 and should hold that pressure for a bit when you turn the motor off. This would help you determine if your fuel pressure is high or low or if you have a leak somewhere in the tank.

This is what I use:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/722-...gc0aAmbS8P8HAQ

Old 10-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After I did my fuel filter (07 Softail) it ran great for about a month. Then it started running like crap, just as you describe. What happened is the fuel regulator mount cracked, and gas was shooting out of the o-ring it seals with. The whole assembly was hanging out of the mount. As soon as I removed the canopy a bit, and turned the pump on, gas shot about 5 feet across the garage! Just needed a new regulator mount. Fairly simple fix.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:02 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Check and see if the sock is gummed up on the inlet of the pump

Quick Reply: Fuel pump or Regulator issue?