Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 PM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default After market shocks?

I think I want to replace my stock shocks, I was told my bike would handle better and we bottom out quite a bit when loaded for a trip. I see quite a few on ebay.. bike is a 06 EGC

Old 05-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,409 Likes on 880 Posts

There's lots of threads on this topic - how much you want to spend will determine your best bet. HD Premium, Progressive, Ricoh, JRI, Ohlins all get good write-ups on this forum. Some people are happy just changing the oil in their stock shocks. Joe

start here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...shock-oil.html

Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 PM
blackflame
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
There's lots of threads on this topic - how much you want to spend will determine your best bet. HD Premium, Progressive, Ricoh, JRI, Ohlins all get good write-ups on this forum. Some people are happy just changing the oil in their stock shocks. Joe

start here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...shock-oil.html
Thanks for the link looks like i'll try to replace the oil first.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:36 PM
porschemann
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Silly question but have you checked the air pressure? If you are still bottoming out with 25 PSI in those shocks and I will guess there is NO oil in them!

I do custom lowered shocks on the factory air shocks and even when shortened to 1.5" of travel; with the correct air pressure, customers do not bottom out! That said I do refill them after the modification with 7wt Belray fork oil.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:52 PM
blackflame
Road Captain

Originally Posted by porschemann
Silly question but have you checked the air pressure? If you are still bottoming out with 25 PSI in those shocks and I will guess there is NO oil in them!

I do custom lowered shocks on the factory air shocks and even when shortened to 1.5" of travel; with the correct air pressure, customers do not bottom out! That said I do refill them after the modification with 7wt Belray fork oil.
Yes I check the air, put 22 in and we seem to bottom out, I'm 210 gf 130-140? fully loaded bags.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:00 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run around 22-25lbs. in my rears 2up & r stock SG's but I changed the oil & valves in mine & there 100% better ride than showroom I'm saving my money for other things to buy for my bike.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Assuming you have low profile touring suspension, the recommended preassure with 2-up and luggage is between 40 -50 lbs.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:22 PM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents......HD Premium hand adjustables. Opinions are like............noses, everybody has one, but I'm VERY happy with mine.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM
porschemann
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Time to drain the shocks then and ensure the correct amount of oil is in them. Factory fill is a 5wt oil at 10.5oz for your refill. Measure what you get out of them, I will hazard that with proper air, you have a fluid issue. Check your owners manual and put in the max recommended air then move down until you bottom out on a big bump, then add air back in at 1 PSI intervals until you no longer bottom out. If we can do this with 420# of rider and passenger plus full packs, there is no way that you should be bottoming out. Remember, the air is your secondary "spring" in addition to the 158# spring that is in the shock.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:49 PM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bite the Bullet

Steven:

You have asked a question all of us ask at some time. Like many out there, I was always adding more and more air to my stock Harley shocks, but was still bottoming out, especially when riding 2-up. Like many, whether good times or bad, I was reluctant to spend 10 times on a shock for my Electra Glide than I spend on "premium" shocks for my truck or car.

After waiting too long - I hit a bump that tweaked my back - I called "the expert," Howard Messner at Motorcycle Metal. I had read all the posts and looked carefully at all the information on JRI & Ohlins shocks.

I told Howard I was torn between the JRIs & the Ohlins, & told him my preferences and why I had them [from reading all the bloody threads, thank you very much!]. Howard schooled me on "Motorcycle Shocks 101," & I'm glad he did. As a result of what he taught me, I chose the remote reservoir Ohlins. I think they're 916s or 927s. You can find the Ohlins here: http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage32.html.

The bottom line is: "I don't know why I waited so long."

First: I was fully prepared to pay list. Howard charged me substantially less than list, but still a chunk of change. All I'll say is that it was more than $1,000 for the shocks that lists for more than $1,900. I consider what I got to be a bargain in light of the substantially improved ride.

Second: I noticed an [I]IMMEDIATE[I] improvement in ride, handling, traction, and stability, just as Howard had said. I am still in the "break-in period," so have not fine-tuned the Ohlins yet, but will shortly.

Third: Now that I know what I'm looking for, I have to agree with Howard that the stock HD shocks are worn out by the time they have 10,000 miles on them. And, filling them with heavier oil is really something the . . . "excessively frugal" . . . do to assuage their conscience. You can do what you want with your time & money, but heavier oil is a fool's errand, IMHO. That's no slam at Twin Cam 96, he explained he has other priorities, and that is a valid consideration.

[U]Summary:[U] [B]If[B] you can afford it, get whatever Howard recommends. Howard recommended the Ohlins to me because of my riding style. If I were to ride differently, he may have recommended JRIs. You will be where I am: You forget the pain of shelling out so much money as you daily enjoy the ride and stability you haven't enjoyed for years. And, you may become a bit "evangelical" as I am about products I find that really work. In this case, the Ohlins shocks built to my riding style and riding weight by Howard himself.

Would I make the purchase again? Yes, in a heartbeat?

Would I tell all my friends & anyone who will listen? Yes, in a heartbeat.

Do I have any regrets? Yes, that I waited so long.

Steve, I hope this has been some help. If you have any comments or observations, I'd love to hear them.

Quick Reply: After market shocks?