Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/c suction noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A/c suction noise

I recently installed a roland sands design venturi 7 ac on my 2013 sg, I'm suprised how loud it is. I actually decide against going with a heavy breather becouse of people complaining of the noise they make. Not sure my choice is any better! It's not a noise I expected to hear, a suction noise I could handle but this is more of a pulsing suction noise that is caused by the butterfly in the throttle body I believe. I think this becouse it doesn't make the noise from about 75% throttle to wide open. I'm assuming this is becouse the butterfly is no longer obstructing the airflow at that throttle. So does anyone have any expirience with a filter similar to mine? Are there others that are not as noisey? Do ventilators make this much noise? How does mine compare to a heavy breather?

Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

....and now you know what the stock air cleaner housing does- it is there to restrict noise emissions ( same reason H-D went to a belt).

you will hear changes in the air movement- a pulsing- this has much to do with harmonics in the intake tract and alot to do with the valves opening and closing....with performance cams the exhaust tract will also influence this.

IF the butterfly were moving around...then the rpm would be moving around too.
a butterfly valve controls air into the intake ( to which fuel is added efi or carb)
more air more rpms, less air less rpms.
the valve doesn;t just flap around passively, it actively controls the air

I use a Ness big sucker ( does the job and is less expensive at about $125) which uses the stock cover.
My thigh to the tank helps to block the noise- it also helps to keep the hot air off the motor flowing past my leg

The Ness is a good alternative if you want to change. someone will take a deal on the RS

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-01-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:02 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

I have a basic stage one se set up in black I'd trade ya lol

Old 08-01-2014, 05:08 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Remember small engine class...suck/squeeze/pop/phooey...you're hearing the "suck" noise and it's good b/c this means motor's getting flow...

Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 AM
prosnowsk8er
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dad has the same one and ya it defiantly does not muffle the noise like the stock one, but hey, you gotta pay to play!?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The cams and valves are what you are hearing plus the air pulsing as everything is opening and closing, it gets louder as you add performance cams.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Smash
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the RS Black Ops on my SG. First thing I thought after I started it after I put it on was...Jesus, that thing is moving some air! I kinda like the sound myself... Kinda reminds me that my bike is just sucking all my money into it!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 PM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Smash
I have the RS Black Ops on my SG. First thing I thought after I started it after I put it on was...Jesus, that thing is moving some air! I kinda like the sound myself... Kinda reminds me that my bike is just sucking all my money into it!
I am with ya Smash.....

Old 08-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Ventilator and don't really notice it at all but maybe I'm just use to it. I do have a loud exhaust and I normally ride with the radio at half volume or more...lol.. But as far as hearing the air cleaner and being distracted or annoyed by it... No

Old 08-01-2014, 06:56 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

You won't even notice it after a while.

Quick Reply: A/c suction noise