Vance & Hines Vance & Hines is product design and manufacturing company that produces high quality, high margin Performance Products within the Powersports industry.

Cleaning Black Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 08:41 AM
motoman172
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cleaning Black Exhaust

Like many other Harley owners I am having an issue with oil venting on my 2015 Wide Glide...

The oil has made a nice splatter on the upper rear black heat shield... (see photo)
Besides replacing that shield is there anyway to clean it?

Can these shields be painted or no?
Is there a part number for that shield?

Thank you in advance

Old 12-25-2016, 07:09 AM
tasturbo86
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default oil

Brake cleaner from Gunk?
I buy it by the case for cleaning engines.
Not sure if the black coating would discolor, so try it somewhere that is not obvious

The following users liked this post:
motoman172 (01-03-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:58 AM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

just clean with non chlorinated brake cleaner.

TBH I think the "black" color of VH heat shields is a little weak. In bright sunlight it's notieceably lighter than the rest of the matte black on my bike. Thinking about getting some high temp rust-oleum and darkening them up.

motoman172 (07-20-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:53 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,562 Likes on 5,154 Posts

Pipes cold. Soap and water dry. Hit them with Pig Spit done.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 PM
scuzzy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just contacted V&H about my black pipes a few hours ago before reading this. I've got the black big radius too. The instruction manual and the V&H website doesn't have crap about care and cleaning.

I was riding two nights back and got mud splatters all over including on my front pipe. No biggie I think. This morning I was cleaning my bike and VERY gently got the mud wet and wiped it off very carefully. I then noticed that the area where I'd removed the mud off the pipes was lighter than the surrounding areas. FCK.

So waiting for a reply back. I'll post here after I find out something.

If I was going to redo them I'd use black 'stove pipe' paint like I use on my wood burning stove. The stove pipe gets way hotter than any exhaust pipe and holds up well. And the color is very very close the my V&H pipes.

motoman172 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 02:32 PM
scuzzy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd contacted V&H about this but it was like pulling teeth to get any answers. After 6 back and forth emails I didn't get much in the way of answers. I think they'd rather sell you a new exhaust shield. Bet it costs buku. Here's what they did say:

1. We use over the counter automotive cleaner to bring out the finish, but it will not help for discoloration. We also sell replacement heat shields if you want to get a new one. Please contact our customer support to place an order at 562-921-5388.

2. I then asked what exactly do they use for the finish. The guy sent me a pic which I couldn't tell what the hell it was. F'em.

3. I then asked about refinishing them and what the pipes were painted with (hi temp, ceramic, or powder coat). The reply was: We use a ceramic coat finish on all our black exhaust.

OK - so not much help there. Other things I found on the net had to do with just redoing the pipes:

(using VHT ceramic) However some other things I read says that type of paint just fades out pretty quick

Another post here on hdforums recommends the stove, or BBQ, paint. I use that on my wood stove. Tough stuff. If I was going to redo things I'd use that and not the other 'new crap'. See this post:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/powde...k-exhaust.html

And another post from another forum said use the stove (bbq) paint:

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=7028.0

Myself - for the discoloration I'd try some very mild rubbing compound where it looks crappy. Wouldn't over do it though. Supposedly the ceramic coat V&H uses is about 2 mm so so light rub shouldn't hurt it. But you just never know.

For my pipes - since it's not too bad I'll leave it alone for now. I might try some light rubbing compound this next weekend just for kicks - in an area that isn't noticeable.

One last thing - according to the internet the ceramic coat is pretty tough and will stand up to some types of solvents. I imagine that would also have to do with just how good a job was done putting it on and how good the coat material is.

Last edited by scuzzy; 07-03-2017 at 02:38 PM.
motoman172 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 06:42 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,562 Likes on 5,154 Posts

First clean it soap and water cool pipes of course dry well clean with pig spit see how it looks before you go nuts painting.
If you are really interested in VHT I can show you the results and enplane the heating steps. Did it on the exhaust of my 750 Street.
The orange was a joke took it back to black. Things you do when you have time on your hands.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VCwhMx]

Old 06-02-2019, 02:30 PM
EddieBrock
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I am having the same oil spatter issue I believe, damn exhaust is looking pretty crappy already after 6,000 miles

Old 06-03-2019, 08:24 PM
motoman172
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I ended up getting this from DK custom Products
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/cata...llery/id/1068/

Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 AM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

External breathers would definitely keep you from having the issue depending on the air cleaner that you have installed. I know that when I had this issue in my '04 FXD, I pulled the rocker covers and replaced the breather assemblies, and I haven't had a problem since. For cleaning the black heatshield, I'd recommend some form of mild dish soap and water to see if you can get it off with some elbow grease.

motoman172 (06-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Cleaning Black Exhaust