Vance & Hines Vance & Hines is product design and manufacturing company that produces high quality, high margin Performance Products within the Powersports industry.

Fuel Pak 3 - Ready to throw in trash

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:16 AM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fuel Pak 3 - Ready to throw in trash

So I got the new Harley 621 ECM firmware flashed on my '17 Faboy S.

Called VH after and followed all their steps...basically re-uploading my stock map to their servery with ECM info, downloading a file from them to the FP3, and then downloading and reflashing the appropriate canned map.. All seemed fine.

Canned map is decent but needs fine tuning. Too much decel pop etc. So I set up auto tune. Autotune base map flashes no problem. Grid shows up and looks fine. So off I ride. Spent an hour riding, really trying to be all over the rpm range and varying the throttle as much as possible. Felt like I probably had an awesome session.

So I pull over, pull phone out of my pocket and the entire grid is just plain empty white. Not one cell filled in. WTF?

So I turn off auto tune, put my stock map back on, erase my canned map, re-download the canned map, re flash it, re- setup auto tune and ride again....yet again, not one cell filled in.

Getting so pissed off with this thing.

Last edited by jhblaze1; 06-26-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:20 AM
jhblaze1
Cruiser

ordered a Power Vision from Fuel Moto. moving on from the fuel pak.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

I've put 2 separate FP3's on bikes in the last couple weeks, and auto tuned both after, and it was such an easy process, with great results. Is your phone staying unlocked and paired? I used a handlebar mount while auto tuning, made it simple to see what parts of the map needed revisiting...

Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jhblaze1
So I got the new Harley 621 ECM firmware flashed on my '17 Faboy S.

Called VH after and followed all their steps...basically re-uploading my stock map to their servery with ECM info, downloading a file from them to the FP3, and then downloading and reflashing the appropriate canned map.. All seemed fine.

Canned map is decent but needs fine tuning. Too much decel pop etc. So I set up auto tune. Autotune base map flashes no problem. Grid shows up and looks fine. So off I ride. Spent an hour riding, really trying to be all over the rpm range and varying the throttle as much as possible. Felt like I probably had an awesome session.

So I pull over, pull phone out of my pocket and the entire grid is just plain empty white. Not one cell filled in. WTF?

So I turn off auto tune, put my stock map back on, erase my canned map, re-download the canned map, re flash it, re- setup auto tune and ride again....yet again, not one cell filled in.

Getting so pissed off with this thing.
There are a few parameters with AutoTune that changed in order to get proper grid population. Instead of making consumers wait for even a basic map, we rolled out compatibility first. The next update, which will be coming out within the next couple of days, will fix the AutoTune issue. Essentially we are waiting for the application approval process from Apple and Android.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:26 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
There are a few parameters with AutoTune that changed in order to get proper grid population. Instead of making consumers wait for even a basic map, we rolled out compatibility first. The next update, which will be coming out within the next couple of days, will fix the AutoTune issue. Essentially we are waiting for the application approval process from Apple and Android.
Understood. Sorry to be blunt, but it would have been a good idea to tell people that. No one told me this during any of the conversations I had regarding the 621 firmware update. No one responded to my email either so I just went ahead and ordered a PV. Maybe I'll try the FP3 in a few days after the update and see wish company produces a better map/autotune result for me.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Understood. Sorry to be blunt, but it would have been a good idea to tell people that. No one told me this during any of the conversations I had regarding the 621 firmware update. No one responded to my email either so I just went ahead and ordered a PV. Maybe I'll try the FP3 in a few days after the update and see wish company produces a better map/autotune result for me.
maybe try it before opening and marrying the PV to your bike. If you can get it to work the PV will have more resale value new in box and unmarried

Old 06-27-2017, 11:20 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
maybe try it before opening and marrying the PV to your bike. If you can get it to work the PV will have more resale value new in box and unmarried

After, give it a chance man, the FP3 is great and super easy to use. Give them a bit to push out the changes you need. Patience man, patience..... besides you can work on decel pop without auto tuning...

The following users liked this post:
jhblaze1 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM
jhblaze1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skid_pimp

After, give it a chance man, the FP3 is great and super easy to use. Give them a bit to push out the changes you need. Patience man, patience..... besides you can work on decel pop without auto tuning...
Just frustrated that they didn't communicate this during any of the several emails and phone calls I had with them. Right after the dealership flashed their 621 firmware on my bike I called VH as instructed, walked through all the steps with them and you'd think they'd say, "by the way, don't be surprised if autotune isn't working, we have an app update coming out next week to address that".

4 days later, still no response to my email about it.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Just frustrated that they didn't communicate this during any of the several emails and phone calls I had with them. Right after the dealership flashed their 621 firmware on my bike I called VH as instructed, walked through all the steps with them and you'd think they'd say, "by the way, don't be surprised if autotune isn't working, we have an app update coming out next week to address that".

I get your frustration, but it's possible the app update was directly related to the firmware update. Meaning, they may not of know the app wasn't working with the update. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

It was not known when initially pushed out. I'm sorry that you have had to wait a couple of days, but we have been working feverishly to release these updates. Technically it was available in 2 days, but Android has yet to be released, we are still waiting approval. I have been traveling this past week and was behind on the app emails. I am the sole responder for those, and sometimes I cannot always answer on the weekend.

This is not as simple as push a couple buttons on keyboard and, "voila!". The table locations, sizes and trims were all changed. This takes an incredible amount of development work to go through and decipher tables in hexidecimal. Even if you are proficient is hex code, there is 24k to go through. Then firmware must be updated which is over 17,000 lines of code. Then we must enable the application to handle everything which a whole other beast within itself. This 3-tier process is incredibly arduous but in the end makes a very simple process for you, the customer, to interact with the bike's ECM.

We believe it was more important for customers to ride their bike with a base map and make adjustments without AutoTune, than to wait 2 weeks and not be able to run at all. Neither is a good situation, but all will be handled within the next couple of days.

The following users liked this post:
skid_pimp (06-28-2017)

Quick Reply: Fuel Pak 3 - Ready to throw in trash