Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 05:49 PM
willryder
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problems

Starter to take my front down tubes off my sg to send off to get a shock kit installed and can't get passed getting the darn axle covers off. Seems like the easiest part of the job is giving me the hardest time. Can't seem to break the set screw loose don't know what the Harley shop used to tighten them with but they made sure they wouldn't off that's for sure. Any input on getting them off without messing them up would be appreciated.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:52 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Those set screws always seize/strip, my advice after you get them off (drill them out if needed) is to drill and tap the holes a bit larger so you can use a short button head torx bolt in place of the set screw. I do that on all my bikes and have not had an issue getting them off with a ratchet and torx socket afterward. The bolt head is at the six-o-clock position so it is hardly noticeable once installed. A tiny drop of blue loctite will keep them in place until you want them to come off the next time. Chase the threads when you want to install them again and you are all set.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 PM
willryder
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Those set screws always seize/strip, my advice after you get them off (drill them out if needed) is to drill and tap the holes a bit larger so you can use a short button head torx bolt in place of the set screw. I do that on all my bikes and have not had an issue getting them off with a ratchet and torx socket afterward. The bolt head is at the six-o-clock position so it is hardly noticeable once installed. A tiny drop of blue loctite will keep them in place until you want them to come off the next time. Chase the threads when you want to install them again and you are all set.
Thanks i'll give that a try.