Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Dyna Rear Wheel Removal

Old 02-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dyna Rear Wheel Removal

Jack up your bike on a bike jack and strap it down good and tight. (I like to use a couple of ratchet straps).
Name:  Jack4.jpg
Views: 17818
Size:  74.8 KB

Next, remove the Debris Deflector.
Name:  debrisdeflector.jpg
Views: 14949
Size:  53.7 KB

Remove the Retaining C-clip, Axle Nut, and Washer.
Name:  c-clip.jpg
Views: 16854
Size:  41.9 KB

Loosen but don't remove the upper right and left shock bolts.
Name:  tposhockbolt.jpg
Views: 14708
Size:  33.3 KB

Remove your Exhaust Support Bracket that attatches to the slip-ons if it looks like it will interfere with the rear fork from lowering.
Name:  exhaustbracket.jpg
Views: 14626
Size:  44.4 KB

Place a block or two under the rear tire so it doesn't just drop when performing this next step.
Name:  rearswingarmdown.jpg
Views: 17826
Size:  80.1 KB

Remove the lower left and right shock mounting bolts and allow the rear fork to lower and the tire to rest on the blocks.
Name:  lowershockbolt.jpg
Views: 15085
Size:  69.5 KB

Use a bungee coed to hold the shocks up and out of the way. (Use some rags or a micro-fiber towel so you don't scratch anything).
Name:  shocks.jpg
Views: 14496
Size:  58.9 KB

Remove the Upper Belt Gaurd.
Name:  beltgaurd.jpg
Views: 14471
Size:  81.6 KB

Mark the left side spacer and take note of the v-notch in the right side spacer for reassembly.
Name:  leftrearspacer.jpg
Views: 16978
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  rightrearspacer.jpg
Views: 15379
Size:  19.4 KB

Remove the Axle from the wheel.

Work the rear wheel and belt pully out (while paying attention to your brake caliper), you may have to loosen the tension on the belt but it normally will loosen up enough when the rear fork drops.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Rear Wheel Removal

Great post but I thought I should add that these steps are specific to a streetbob or any dyna that does not have rear passenger peg mounts. If you have them, be sure to remove the right side peg mount before lowering the wheel and swingarm or at least check to make sure you have clearance such that it does not hit your pipes and possibly damage them.

Also, keep in mind that, depending on what kind of pipes/mufflers you have, it may be necessary to remove the lower one to get clearance to remove the axle.

And, it may not be a requirement, but be careful if you leave your rear caliper in place not to damage it or the disc when you remove the wheel. It's not a bad idea to carefully remove the caliper and move it to the side out of the way before removing the rear wheel.

If you do not change the belt tension or alignment settings, your wheel should go back on with proper alignment and tension. You should just need to check it to be sure.

Before replacing the rear axle, smear it with anti-sieze. It will be better protected and will go back in much easier than it came out.

It's also a good idea to block your front wheel as well in case the weight distribution changes too much when you remove the rear wheel and the bike may tend to want to tilt forward.

This thread is a great visual aid but it's always a good idea to have a service manual as well to guide you through each of the steps.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Rear Wheel Removal

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Great post but I thought I should add that these steps are specific to a streetbob or any dyna that does not have rear passenger peg mounts. If you have them, be sure to remove the right side peg mount before lowering the wheel and swingarm or at least check to make sure you have clearance such that it does not hit your pipes and possibly damage them.

Also, keep in mind that, depending on what kind of pipes/mufflers you have, it may be necessary to remove the lower one to get clearance to remove the axle.

And, it may not be a requirement, but be careful if you leave your rear caliper in place not to damage it or the disc when you remove the wheel. It's not a bad idea to carefully remove the caliper and move it to the side out of the way before removing the rear wheel.

If you do not change the belt tension or alignment settings, your wheel should go back on with proper alignment and tension. You should just need to check it to be sure.

Before replacing the rear axle, smear it with anti-sieze. It will be better protected and will go back in much easier than it came out.

Thanks for the addition to this post, I did miss these inportant issues.

Thanks

It's also a good idea to block your front wheel as well in case the weight distribution changes too much when you remove the rear wheel and the bike may tend to want to tilt forward.

This thread is a great visual aid but it's always a good idea to have a service manual as well to guide you through each of the steps.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:01 AM
creekhed1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! I used this thread to help me get a new Dunlop 180 on my '08 FXDL.

Got the Tire for $200 which was pretty good considering it came from my stealer.

I didn't bother with removal of either belt guard and removal/installation was a SNAP!

Great thread!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 AM
tmacracin
Advanced

Great how too! Really helped me out. What are the torque specs for the shock bolts and axle?

Last edited by tmacracin; 08-28-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 AM
danrad55
Cruiser

Great write up especially with the pictures. One question though. Do you know if the V notch has to be positioned and if so why? My spacer fell off before I saw the positioning. My right spacer has the notch facing the brake caliper arm like you show in the picture, but it is oriented different than yours. I am still curious about that notch, especially since I couldn't see anything mentioned in my manual. Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Salchicha
Advanced

Holy thread resurrection!

I just changed the back tire (flat) on my Dyna and these instructions were perfect. Coupled with the torque numbers in the manual I'm on the road again...

Thanks a mil (or at least $100) Matrix!

Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
harleysuperglide1
Elite HDF Member

The torque numbers provided by Harley for the rear axle nut on the '06 and '07 Dynas are conflicting - the '06 manual has the old solid axle torque spec of ~65 ft. lbs., even though it has the same hollow 1" axle as the '07 Dyna. And the manual for the '07 Dyna provides a torque spec of 92 to 98 ft. lbs. '08 and up Dyna have the hollow 25mm axles, and the manual is consistent for these years with a spec 95 to 105 ft. lbs.

It would seem that when Harley changed from the solid rear axle to the hollow axle in '06 that maybe they didn't revise the rear axle torque spec accordingly? Since the '07 spec is 92 to 98 ft. lbs., I either over tightened the crap out of the axle nut on my '07 superglide after just replacing the rear tire, or there are a lot of '06 Dynas with under-torqued rear axles. What's up with that. Is 92 to 98 ft. lbs. right for my '07 Dyna axle? Thanks in advance if you can help.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:57 PM
burntsaw
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,that helped me out a lot.Noticed v notch when i went to put it back together...

Old 12-01-2016, 03:13 PM
ALstew
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Resurrecting this thread once again... 2014 street bob. Is the 25mm hollow axle going to 95 - 105 ft lbs? May someone confirm?

Thanks in advance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyna Rear Wheel Removal