Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Well learned my lesson with shinko tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:44 PM
77fordman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well learned my lesson with shinko tires

My 95 ultra was in need of a back tire i came across the shinko site saw the 230 touring tire liked the looks so i emailed the company to get some more info on the tire. To my surprise the guy emailed me back with his number to call him so he could answer any an all questions i had. So i called him asked him about load rating and he told me to go with a 140/90-16 it has a 77 load rating which is way better than the stock dunlop 402. I ask him about mileage and he told be to expect anywhere from 10 to 15 thousand miles which i got 10,000 out of the dunlop.He told me the biggest thing is to make sure the air pressure is right at all times which is 42psi which i check my tires once a week. So after talking to him for about a half hour or so i decided to give the tire a try. Got the tire mounted it and took it for a 550 mile ride the tire performed perfect very stable in wet or dry conditions. So far i put right around 1700 miles on the bike. Took the bike last week to get inspected and to my surprise the tread depth is 5/32 thats half worn cause new is 10/32. So i emailed the guy today and told him whats going on and he pretty much told me that it surprises him but theres nothing he can do maybe he could knock some money off my next tire purchase. I told him no thanks i'm not going to change my tire 2 times a year i will go with another brand.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I haven't tried Shinko, but there are quite a few members who like them. Enter 'shinko' in 'Search' to see other threads about them.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Killerman#1
Cruiser
Default How much money u got?

I get 4,000 miles generally on rear tires on my 87 FLT. Dosn't matter much if it's a High dollar tire or a cheeper one. I've checked rear tire alignment, tire balance, tire pressure and It don't seem to matter much. Weight is weight, ol lady,me and scooter around 1,000lbs give or take. I run Shinkos, Duros, Bridgstones and Dunlops. I can get two shinkos for one Dunlop. I do my own tire work and balance. It don't bother me if the tire don't say Harley Davidson on it. Killer

Old 10-22-2013, 03:30 PM
77fordman
Intermediate

Its don't bother me either what it says but replacing a tire every 3000 to 4000 miles i don't think i want to do that. I also do my on work but i just can't see it. Like i said i got 10,000 out of my dunlop 402 which i will not buy another one of them either (cupped real bad). I think i'm gonna try dunlop elite 3 i've seen and heard good things about the tire.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

You'll like the Elite III, I just wish they made it in a narrow whitewall.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Killerman#1
Cruiser
Default About Shinko's

By far Dunlop makes excellent tires, but the question was about cheaper Shinko tires . I have put on new and took a long road trips on various tires and for monetary reasons have chose at times to go for a cheaper brand, ie Duro, Shinko etc. Back an forth to work type riding mileage on the rear tire for me is by far better than 4000 miles, but my road trips are with a fully loaded down scoot well over manufactures specs." I'm sure." For Dunlop or Shinko ,
4000 to 5000 miles is about it. I also run older spoke type rims with inner tubes . Tubeless rim setups might be different. Killer

Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 AM
cyclhed
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shinko 777

I have 2136.7 miles on this tire. I wont buy them again. I was going with the least expensive and thought it would at least last 5k miles, but no such luck. I'll go ahead and spend $150 instead of the $80 I paid for this tire if I can get 8-10k miles out of a more expensive tire. The tire handled good and didn't shake. I purchased from Pinwall Cycles on ebay and they told me sorry nothing they will do. Shinkos website says MUST go through the original seller. So the runaround I got. You get what you pay for.

Attached Thumbnails Well learned my lesson with shinko tires-dscf0012.jpg  

Last edited by cyclhed; 11-07-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get a new tire psi gauge to do your weekly monitoring of tire psi. Toss the one you got now. Its pretty obvious that tire has been run on low psi, probably dangerously low psi. I would have noticed excessive wear in the first 500 miles with that kind of wear. The only tires I will run are Shinko 712 or 777. But dont run them at the psi Harley says to, them pressures only work with the super stiff carcass hard compound stock tires. If you email them they get back real quick with the psi for that tire with your bike.

I get 8-9K out of the same tire but like any quality tire you have to check psi at a minimum one time a week and adjust any loss, even a tiny loss right away and tires will last a lot longer. Just a guess, but if you let that tire get like that you must be not even looking at your tires on purpose to let them get like that, or you just got done with a burn out contest.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 PM
cyclhed
Novice

No it got to that point last Sunday in the middle of a 200 mile ride. I just put it on May of this year and it only has a little over 2,000 miles, no burn outs or lock-ups I swear! I'm an old man and don't abuse my bike with burnouts! However, according to Shinko, I did run it at too low a pressure at the factory spec of 32psi. They said it should be run at 49 to 44 psi. I honestly did not know that, but I always check it before each ride and do have a good gauge, I am a professional auto mechanic by trade. Good news, Shinko are top rate and are sending me a new tire. Here is the message from the factory:

Our tires are destined to be run at what the sidewall of the tire says and not the owners manual. The owners manual specs are for the OE (original equipment) tire that came on it from the factory. That specific size and model (130/90-16 777 series) is actually supposed to have 49psi max and no more than 4-5lbs below that for rider comfort. Running these tires at 32 psi will literally destroy the tire because they are building up to much heat.

We'll see how long the next one lasts, but I will for sure run it at 49psi and not let it get below 44 psi. I really do check the pressure every time I go for a ride.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 PM
cyclhed
Novice

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
I would get a new tire psi gauge to do your weekly monitoring of tire psi. Toss the one you got now. Its pretty obvious that tire has been run on low psi, probably dangerously low psi. I would have noticed excessive wear in the first 500 miles with that kind of wear. The only tires I will run are Shinko 712 or 777. But dont run them at the psi Harley says to, them pressures only work with the super stiff carcass hard compound stock tires. If you email them they get back real quick with the psi for that tire with your bike.

I get 8-9K out of the same tire but like any quality tire you have to check psi at a minimum one time a week and adjust any loss, even a tiny loss right away and tires will last a lot longer. Just a guess, but if you let that tire get like that you must be not even looking at your tires on purpose to let them get like that, or you just got done with a burn out contest.
Hi Dusty, When I got this 777 tire and looked at the tread I thought it looked slicker than a normal tire in the center, but I thought that it was normal, which it was. I did notice it was wearing pretty fast and then when I got home from a ride Sunday it was skinned. But now I know to run a higher pressure.

Here's a picture of the bike last Sunday on my ride, about halfway, and you can see the tire is bald, but not to the cord in the center yet. After the ride it was like you see in the previous post.

Attached Thumbnails Well learned my lesson with shinko tires-img-20131103-ice_house.jpg  

Quick Reply: Well learned my lesson with shinko tires