Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with Brembo conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
dpk20x
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed with Brembo conversion

Could use a little help over here guys. I was getting all ready to finish up my Brembo conversion on my 2004 FXDP when I ran into a little clearance issue. Take a look at the pictures and you can see that the brake disc screws are making contact with my fork legs on both sides. So my wheel doesn't spin. And thats no good

Now I thought these were the proper rotors that I needed to run with the Brembo calipers. They are 11.8" rotors off a newer model bagger. Part numbers are 4108-08 and 4109-08. I think the problem is these rotors are thicker than my stock rotors. I'm not certain however as I sold my stock rotors last week so I can't compare the two at the moment.

So now I could use a few ideas on how I can remedy this situation, hopefully on the cheap as there is no way I can afford new rotors at the moment. The few ideas that I came up with is finding a place that could machine the rotor down (not sure if anyone does this with motorcycle rotors), try to grind the heads of the screws down, or attempt to locate screws with a lower profile head.

Or if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

Also one more thought is that I installed the axle spacers incorrectly. When I removed the wheel both spacers dropped so I don't know which went to which side. I thought I'd be able to reference a parts or service manual for a diagram but they show both spacers as being the same size in the diagram. So seeing as how the left spacer was 25$ and the right spacer was 7$ I figured the big spacer must go on the left side, the same side as the clutch lever. But can someone confirm I installed the spacers correctly?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Find new rotor bolts that are a 1/4" less in the length and will allow the button heads to sit in the recess of the rotor. Are you running washers under those right now?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

No there are no washers. There's also no recess in the rotor. So basically the screw sits on the outer edge of the rotor. A shorter screw isn't gonna help. What I need is for the head to be shorter.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM
escherWG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you dropped the wheel out and put the spacers side by side, to see if the other is longer??

Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My bad, I figured they were the same rotors as my Harley 11.8" rotors (stock). The stock rotors on my Street Bob have a recess in them which allows the buttonhead on the rotor bolt to sit almost flush, which would solve your problem.

Your 3 options now are:

1) Wide Glide conversion (I just completed this myself using Fat Bob trees)
2) Rotors from a newer model Dyna and probably others that have the recess in them
3) Find some rotor bolts that have thinner head (that may be easier said than done)

Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

Spacers are completely different sizes. One is notably larger then the other. That's why I was confused by the diagrams I've seen as they are not showing the spacers being drawn to scale.

I'm pretty sure I have them on correct. The wheel appears centered and the calipers are mounted up as well. Also it looks as if the clearances are the same on each side. Like I said I'm pretty sure these new rotors are just thicker than my old ones.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmeiers
My bad, I figured they were the same rotors as my Harley 11.8" rotors (stock). The stock rotors on my Street Bob have a recess in them which allows the buttonhead on the rotor bolt to sit almost flush, which would solve your problem.

Your 3 options now are:

1) Wide Glide conversion (I just completed this myself using Fat Bob trees)
2) Rotors from a newer model Dyna and probably others that have the recess in them
3) Find some rotor bolts that have thinner head (that may be easier said than done)
Man I wish I would have known that about the newer Dyna rotors sooner. Every thread I read said I needed 11.8" rotors off a newer stlye bagger.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your old rotor's bolt holes were counter sunk. The '08+ bagger rotor's aren't. The rotors are the same thickness. On my '03 with floating rotor's the bolt heads clear the fork leg by less then a 1/8" (eyeballing it). Get a machine shop to countersink the bolt holes.

Attached Thumbnails Help needed with Brembo conversion-100_0982.jpg  

Last edited by DanDman; 02-20-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:06 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

Sweet that sounds like what I need to do. You wouldn't happen to know how deep that recess is?

Quick Reply: Help needed with Brembo conversion