Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Man I am just using the narrow band sensors and dialing everything in. This bike is getting very close to running exactly how I want it to run. Grin factor is huge. Fuel economy is excellent, and the motor is running reasonably cool.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:25 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by captdave221
The way I understand how it works is at 100% TP and at a certain rpm PE is active.

I was never aware such a thing even existed in these ecm's. I have been to HD Race Tuner School @ HD in Milwaukee and such a thing was never mentioned. I think it is a neat thing to have though.

I own a 2011 Electra Glide and have 103", Wood 408-6 cams, high comp forged pistons, MVA heads, Hi-Flow a/c, FullSac B header w/ both bung sizes, SE street legal muffs (the ones that look like SuperTrapps. The only item I am happy with is I use 2270 in PV for my speedo and now it reads the same as my GPS but don't know how close the odometer is to being accurate

Talk about trying to tune this combination is exhausting sometimes. I have a copy of SESRT and have copied VE and Timing tables from that into various PV maps and some run good and some not. If you look at Harleys timing tables you will think you know nothing at all about how an engine should be timed. Sometimes I miss a set of points, a centifigal advance plate, and 2 carbs. LOL

The noise everyone hears @ 2200-2800 rpm's I have heard on all Harley engines stock or modified, Evo or Twin cam since I got into Harley's in '91.
New bikes out of the crate have it in various amounts and that always made me feel better that my bike wasn't broken. Usually it would diminish by increasing/decreasing the throttle a bit. It is always the loudest @ a steady cruise.

Getting back to the 2011 bikes they seem to have a new and unique operating system compared to the previous FBW years. I wonder how to set the throttle transition gear to 6th to only use the Alternate Throttle Blade Control table. This is a wierd thing as I have monitored the TP and the twistgrip positions and have seen the TP @ a higher number than the grip.

A long post but only a few of my wondering's of how things work and how can I change them. I want a week with the engineer that made up these fuel injection systems. LOL I want to play 2000 questions with him.
Thanks for the information. I need to figure out how to log PE.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
A question for iclick or anybody that can answer. At one point in time I had a calibration in my 07 that shut down the rear cylinder when the heads reached a certain temperature. 34412-07D is not it. 34412-07D is a skip fire calibration, It sounds very different than the one I had that shut off the rear cylinder. Actually I don't like this calibration because it really bangs hard on the transmission when it is active. The one that drops the rear cylinder does not do this. Do you have any idea what that EITMS calibration may have been?
I upgraded to the EITMS cal (34412-07D) a couple of years ago, and it shut-down the rear cylinder at 290°. Chasing an idle problem a year or so later I tried the newest cal at the time (32903-07E), and that disabled EITMS entirely. I haven't bothered to go back to the EITMS cal, as it only rarely engaged on my bike anyway.

I thought there was only one EITMS cal, which is 34412-07D, and when I had it installed I didn't have any banging like you're describing. I had 32903-07 (the "torque-smoothing" cal) originally, then 34412-07D, and I'm now on 32903-07E. The last cal didn't fix the idle issues, but changing the IAC motor did.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by FX4
Anyhow moving on to power enrichment...
With SE 255 cams what RPM should I kick in PE AFR? I'm thinking 3200 RPMs, just outside of my cruise range. Does throttle position trigger PE mode or is it vacuum? Acceleration enrichment, what should I target for those quick throttle blips? I'm thinking 13.9 but I really have no idea.
I left mine stock, at 5500 enable, 5300 disable. Why would you want it lower? I also changed all the values to 13.0, as they were all over the place and seemed irrational, going from 12.5 to 12.0, then back again, and as low as 11.5. I think this is to enrichen the fuel for people who run their bikes WOT for more than a few seconds, ostensibly to keep the engine from frying by throwing in some additional fuel every few seconds. I don't do that, so I'd rather the ECM not make such changes and keep it at 13.0.

My understanding is that it is based on duration (seconds) and RPM, not KPA or TP. I could be wrong, as I'm still trying to get a grip on some of this ECM stuff. I was a PCV guy for too long and my brain needs to be re-programmed. I'm having the most trouble figuring out the relationship between the AFR table and the VE tables, and I'm not there yet.

Accel Enrichment: I originally tried it at a leaner setting, but now have it back to stock trying to chase-down a very random misfiring problem that dates back to my PCV days. Are you having any issues using the stock settings?

Last edited by iclick; 06-11-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by captdave221
The only item I am happy with is I use 2270 in PV for my speedo and now it reads the same as my GPS but don't know how close the odometer is to being accurate.
FWIW for you '07 owners, 2135 gets my speedo correct with the GPS, but the odometer reads 1.2% low now. It was 2058 originally. BTW, the odometer and speedometer parameters in the ECM (readable with the PV) are not the same as the fairing gauges.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
I left mine stock, at 5500 enable, 5300 disable. Why would you want it lower? I also changed all the values to 13.0, as they were all over the place and seemed irrational, going from 12.5 to 12.0, then back again, and as low as 11.5. I think this is to enrichen the fuel for people who run their bikes WOT for more than a few seconds, ostensibly to keep the engine from frying by throwing in some additional fuel every few seconds. I don't do that, so I'd rather the ECM not make such changes and keep it at 13.0.

My understanding is that it is based on duration (seconds) and RPM, not KPA or TP. I could be wrong, as I'm still trying to get a grip on some of this ECM stuff. I was a PCV guy for too long and my brain needs to be re-programmed. I'm having the most trouble figuring out the relationship between the AFR table and the VE tables, and I'm not there yet.

Accel Enrichment: I originally tried it at a leaner setting, but now have it back to stock trying to chase-down a very random misfiring problem that dates back to my PCV days. Are you having any issues using the stock settings?
Harley has determined that an AFR of 12.6 or so makes the best torque. 5500 RPM was your original Redline. It's shutoff from the factory. The purpose of PE mode is to make max power when you hit the throttle hard. The factory irrational values are actually calibrated in a saw tooth wave form to alternate between max power and cooling the motor down. BTW: It works, I moved PE down to 3500 RPMs and as soon as I hit it, hang on.

The following users liked this post:
slippin_jimmy (02-25-2019)
Old 06-11-2011, 04:54 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
I upgraded to the EITMS cal (34412-07D) a couple of years ago, and it shut-down the rear cylinder at 290°. Chasing an idle problem a year or so later I tried the newest cal at the time (32903-07E), and that disabled EITMS entirely. I haven't bothered to go back to the EITMS cal, as it only rarely engaged on my bike anyway.

I thought there was only one EITMS cal, which is 34412-07D, and when I had it installed I didn't have any banging like you're describing. I had 32903-07 (the "torque-smoothing" cal) originally, then 34412-07D, and I'm now on 32903-07E. The last cal didn't fix the idle issues, but changing the IAC motor did.
That is very strange. I get fuel enrichement at 270 and skip fire at 290. Yes they told me there is only one EITMS cal but at one time I had something different in the bike than the cal I just got from the dealer. This thing skip fires at 290. Now I wonder if there is a setting in the digital tech for skip fire vs shut down the rear cylinder?

Last edited by FX4; 06-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, double post. See below.

Last edited by MEGALifted; 06-11-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question about PV and O2 sensors.

Back ground info:
I've been running the PC-V with AT for over 2 years now. I'll be paying Jamie a visit in July to get the 107" installed. Since he will be tuning it, I've decided to swap over to the PV. I removed the PC today, left the AT and WB O2 sensors in place, and then loaded the map Jamie loaded on the PV.

My Question:
Does the PV use the O2 sensors? Since I left my AT on but not connected, will this cause a problem?

I tried searching and couldn't find the answers and 67 pages are a lot to read through. Appreciate any input.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MEGALifted
Question about PV and O2 sensors.

Back ground info:
I've been running the PC-V with AT for over 2 years now. I'll be paying Jamie a visit in July to get the 107" installed. Since he will be tuning it, I've decided to swap over to the PV. I removed the PC today, left the AT and WB O2 sensors in place, and then loaded the map Jamie loaded on the PV.

My Question:
Does the PV use the O2 sensors? Since I left my AT on but not connected, will this cause a problem?

I tried searching and couldn't find the answers and 67 pages are a lot to read through. Appreciate any input.
The PV does not use the O2 sensors per se, it only flashes the calibration to the ECM. If the calibration is set to use adaptive control it is reading the O2 sensors and providing feedback to the program by determining what the AFR is and if there is a difference storing the difference in the AFV table. If you left the AT installed with the O2 sensor eliminators you are all set. The sensor eliminators will give the proper feedback to the bike just like it did with the PC-V installed.

Last edited by JustDennis; 06-13-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread