Notices
2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 Sport Glides

Old 07-28-2018, 10:22 AM
JPGray
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rickwill View Post
I like the style of the Sport Glide and am considering this bike. However I'm 6'4". Do you guys think that is too tall for this bike? How about with the Tallboy seat? Thanks.
I'm 6'2 standing up straight with a 34 inseam, and I feel pretty big on the bike. I first picked up a set of HD forward control extensions and decided I didn't want to move the master cylinder up past the frame tube like they have you do, instead I had a set made and have some currently in production. No new brake line needed, master cylinder stays where it is, no bleeding brakes. I'll have them on Ebay in the next few months, still have to line up a powder coating place and work out some hardware deals. Thinking they will run about $200 a set shipped to your door in gloss black powdercoat or polished (aluminum). Only downside to these is that the brake pedal doesn't move, which makes it a little awkward at first...but as soon as you quit thinking about it your foot knows where it is and adapts, in 100 miles or less you don't even think about it. This winter I will be making a extended pedal to bring it back to the correct peg to pedal spacing, but for the time being it doesn't bother me. Even with the 3" extensions and 1" out of the seat bottom and back curve, the bike still feels fairly small. I may have a set of 4.5" extensions made up, that would probably put them where it would feel best for me. That being said, I'm not sure they make a bike that is tailored to tall guys anymore, have to make them all fit you after you buy it. I really like this bike and have no regrets. You can easily make your stock seat into a solo and remove some padding for cheap, that's what I did.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM
cchuck3537
One Of The Regulars
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JPGray View Post
I'm 6'2 standing up straight with a 34 inseam, and I feel pretty big on the bike. I first picked up a set of HD forward control extensions and decided I didn't want to move the master cylinder up past the frame tube like they have you do, instead I had a set made and have some currently in production. No new brake line needed, master cylinder stays where it is, no bleeding brakes. I'll have them on Ebay in the next few months, still have to line up a powder coating place and work out some hardware deals. Thinking they will run about $200 a set shipped to your door in gloss black powdercoat or polished (aluminum). Only downside to these is that the brake pedal doesn't move, which makes it a little awkward at first...but as soon as you quit thinking about it your foot knows where it is and adapts, in 100 miles or less you don't even think about it. This winter I will be making a extended pedal to bring it back to the correct peg to pedal spacing, but for the time being it doesn't bother me. Even with the 3" extensions and 1" out of the seat bottom and back curve, the bike still feels fairly small. I may have a set of 4.5" extensions made up, that would probably put them where it would feel best for me. That being said, I'm not sure they make a bike that is tailored to tall guys anymore, have to make them all fit you after you buy it. I really like this bike and have no regrets. You can easily make your stock seat into a solo and remove some padding for cheap, that's what I did.
Awesome write up. I am 6'2 and rather long in the legs and like the foot control placement but the handlebars are a tad to low. Slow speed turns don't allow me to swing the handlebars from lock to lock without bowing my legs out rather wide. Nothing a simple $1500 handlebar and riser swap won't fix

Old 07-30-2018, 10:54 AM
whosinaname
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cchuck3537 View Post
Awesome write up. I am 6'2 and rather long in the legs and like the foot control placement but the handlebars are a tad to low. Slow speed turns don't allow me to swing the handlebars from lock to lock without bowing my legs out rather wide. Nothing a simple $1500 handlebar and riser swap won't fix
I am 6'2" as well, I just installed a 4 inch pull back riser, It brought the bars just close enough where it feels good, and it raised it enough to clear my leg when fully turning the bars for uturns etc. The nice thing about the 4" riser is that you don't have to change cables, just run the clutch cable under the bar and it works perfect. was much cheaper than full bar swap.

The following users liked this post:
JPGray (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 02:10 PM
cchuck3537
One Of The Regulars
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by whosinaname View Post
I am 6'2" as well, I just installed a 4 inch pull back riser, It brought the bars just close enough where it feels good, and it raised it enough to clear my leg when fully turning the bars for uturns etc. The nice thing about the 4" riser is that you don't have to change cables, just run the clutch cable under the bar and it works perfect. was much cheaper than full bar swap.
Thanks for that info. What 4in pull back risers did you have installed (was it a harely or aftermarket and if harley do you mind sharing part #?) Also what is our handle bar diameter on the sport glide? Is it 1.25 in the center? Thanks for providing that info as I would love to save tons of cash with a small riser change.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:21 PM
whosinaname
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed Part Number 56269-09 from Harley Davidson, also for the record my inseam is 32"

I am using the stock handlebar, 1.25 inch. This is not my bike, I took this picture from facebook group "harley-davidson softail sport glide owners". but it shows the height.

Last edited by whosinaname; 07-30-2018 at 02:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whosinaname:
JPGray (07-30-2018), Royce (08-05-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:30 PM
JPGray

Originally Posted by whosinaname View Post
Good to know, I am probably going to go that route too. I still like my knees stretched out a little so I'm keeping the extensions regardless, but it would be nice and would help straighten my back out if the bars were a little higher on mine too. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:19 PM
Sgt_Rock_62
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you have a custom paint shop paint your bags or an auto body paint shop do them. They look good to me. I stopped by a custom paint shop in my area and he told me painting the smooth side would look good but painting the back side wouldn’t due to the rough surface and that the paint on the rough surface wouldn’t hold up well. I have the twisted cherry color so that may be part of the issue.
Any thoughts out there on painting the bags?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:49 PM
pjbuilder
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Picked up my 2018 Sport Glide

Got my new ride yesterday. Today I'm missing my Low Rider and feeling a little like a traitor for trading her in but I do love the ride of the new bike. Feel like a kid on Xmas. Who would have thought I would get so excited about a new motorcycle at my old age. Went straight to the garage to check it out when I woke up this morning.

Ordered the tall boy seat and it's due in soon. Once I install the seat my immediate plans are for a taller windshield and maybe taller risers. No plans at this time for exhaust or a tuner like I had done on the dyna.

ms fine without but who knows.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:53 PM
Sgt_Rock_62
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet looking bike. But I’m biased since mine looks just like it. If you want that awesome Harley sound with adding a tuner or breather, Tab Permance has an awesome slip on for the Sport Glide. I put one on mine with adding a tuner or upgrading the breather and have no decel pop or backfiring. Was simple to install myself as well. Can’t beat it in my opinion.

pjbuilder (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:41 PM
JPGray

Originally Posted by Sgt_Rock_62 View Post
Did you have a custom paint shop paint your bags or an auto body paint shop do them. They look good to me. I stopped by a custom paint shop in my area and he told me painting the smooth side would look good but painting the back side wouldn’t due to the rough surface and that the paint on the rough surface wouldn’t hold up well. I have the twisted cherry color so that may be part of the issue.
Any thoughts out there on painting the bags?
Thanks, and they are just as good in person. Had a local moonlighter do it, guy does awesome work. Automotive paint, color matched, with a couple coats of clear. I pulled them all apart and gave him just the shells. I traded a Milwaukee M18 7" Buffer for the work and still have a similar paint job in credit. Dude is awesome. Paint the textured back too, they came out great too, you'll regret it if you don't I think. Took me a while to decide that too but sure glad I did now, they wouldn't look right if those weren't glossy imho.

Sgt_Rock_62 (07-31-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Sport Glides

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: