2018 Breakout 114 Headlight Upgrade - Harley Davidson Forums

Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > 2018+ Softail Models
Reload this Page >

2018 Breakout 114 Headlight Upgrade

Notices
2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 Breakout 114 Headlight Upgrade

  #1  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:12 AM
Merwin121
Merwin121 is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2018 Breakout 114 Headlight Upgrade

Does anyone know what's needed to replace the stock headlamp with a 7in round headlamp for the 2018 Breakouts? At a minimum, it looks like I'm going to need a new headlamp bracket. Are there any vendors that already sell these brackets?

I'm looking to replace the stock headlamp with a 7in JW Speaker 8791 Adaptive 2. The pedestal on the JW Speaker doesn't line up with the 'pedestal that's on the stock headlamp.

Thanks in advance,
Merwin
 
  #2  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Mchad's Avatar
Mchad
Mchad is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 4,977
Thanked 553 Times in 452 Posts
Default

When I had the ‘19 Fat Boy and was considering converting the front end to get rid of the cumbersome fat tire, and be more front fairing friendly, I looked at the breakout. It’s headlight mounts to the top tree, not the bottom like most. The second problem may be the bottom tree isn’t drilled set up for a mounting block. If I recall there’s not an appropriate place for it. You’ll need to take a close look. Here’s what you have...




You’ll need something like this:



 
The Following User Says Thank You to Mchad For This Useful Post:
Merwin121 (Yesterday)
  #3  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Mark Faulkner's Avatar
Mark Faulkner
Mark Faulkner is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: U.K.
Posts: 356
Thanked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Why replace it? The headlight on the new Breakout is excellent, much better than the Daymaker i have on my FXDLS.
 
  #4  
Old 01-13-2019, 05:10 PM
Merwin121
Merwin121 is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Mchad,
Thanks for the diagrams. They're helpful. I'm going to check out some local machine shops near me to see if they can fabricate a custom bracket that will mount to the stock location (upper triple tree) and the new 7in round headlamp.

Mark Faulkner,
Agreed. The stock LED headlamp seems pretty good for light output and has its own distinct style, but I like the look of the new JW Speaker 8791. Plus, the Adaptive 2 feature sounds interesting.


Thanks,
Merwin
 
  #5  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:48 AM
[email protected]
58jdn58@gmail.com is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Tiffin,Oh
Posts: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Merwin121 View Post
Does anyone know what's needed to replace the stock headlamp with a 7in round headlamp for the 2018 Breakouts? At a minimum, it looks like I'm going to need a new headlamp bracket. Are there any vendors that already sell these brackets?

I'm looking to replace the stock headlamp with a 7in JW Speaker 8791 Adaptive 2. The pedestal on the JW Speaker doesn't line up with the 'pedestal that's on the stock headlamp.

Thanks in advance,
Merwin
Seems vendors aren't in a very big hurry to make ANYTHING for the new bikes!?
 
  #6  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM
[email protected]
58jdn58@gmail.com is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Tiffin,Oh
Posts: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I googled that particular headlight. I got to ask....WHATS UP WITH A $700+ HEADLIGHT? That good?
 
  #7  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 AM
FatBob2018
FatBob2018 is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,417
Thanked 382 Times in 277 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I googled that particular headlight. I got to ask....WHATS UP WITH A $700+ HEADLIGHT? That good?
I had one on my last bike, I found it offered for new on eBay for $500. Still insane but I bought it. It's fantastic. If you ride at night, it's a game changer. The adaptive corner illumination is the way things should be done, once you've had it anything else just seems primitive.

One of the things every review on the Fat Bob praises is the quality of the LED headlight. And if you haven't had an adaptive headlight then yes, this is a fantastic stock headlight, but to me ... I am not that impressed, I still miss my JW Speaker 8690A.
 
  #8  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Hdbkstl's Avatar
Hdbkstl
Hdbkstl is offline
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 56
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I just wish one of the new quarter fairings would fit the 18+ breakout light. Why did they have to make it a random oval size
 
  #9  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Mchad's Avatar
Mchad
Mchad is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 4,977
Thanked 553 Times in 452 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hdbkstl View Post
I just wish one of the new quarter fairings would fit the 18+ breakout light. Why did they have to make it a random oval size
Maybe an older HD 1/4 fairing would work? It has the plexiglass shield over the light so if you needed to cut a bit it probably wouldn’t be noticeable.
 
  #10  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 AM
Mchad's Avatar
Mchad
Mchad is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 4,977
Thanked 553 Times in 452 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FatBob2018 View Post
I had one on my last bike, I found it offered for new on eBay for $500. Still insane but I bought it. It's fantastic. If you ride at night, it's a game changer. The adaptive corner illumination is the way things should be done, once you've had it anything else just seems primitive.

One of the things every review on the Fat Bob praises is the quality of the LED headlight. And if you haven't had an adaptive headlight then yes, this is a fantastic stock headlight, but to me ... I am not that impressed, I still miss my JW Speaker 8690A.
The adaptives are amazing. I had one (1st gen) on my Dyna and like a fool I left it on when I sold it...
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: