New Aquatic AV not working - Harley Davidson Forums

Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Aquatic AV not working

P

Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Road Captain
Default New Aquatic AV not working

I purchased an Aquatic AV radio, the aq-mp-5ubt-hs model. My original Harmon Kardon has been acting up, and I felt another unit was better than fixing this pos. I ordered it online and received the first one last week. I installed it in the bike and it wouldn't turn on. I called Aquatic av and the tech guy had me check the wiring with a dmm while I was on the phone. The wiring checked out fine and he said it was probably the radio.
I emailed the place I got it from and told him what had happened. He sent me a return shipping label and said a new radio would be shipped asap. Well, I received the new unit last night and plugged it in today to find it also does not work. My first thought is that I could not have possible got two bad radios, there must be another problem, I checked the wiring again and it is fine. My original radio still works as well.
I went to my local stereo shop, they are an Aquatic dealer. They didn't have the unit I have, only the model below. He had no way of testing this radio so offered me to take one of their units home to try. Sure enough, the radio works fine. I have got two bad radios from Aquatic AV!
I'm just wondering if anyone else has a received a non working radio from them? Also, are there many people having issues with these units? I don't have a lot of faith in Aquatic AV right now.

Last edited by SG-Jay; 09-14-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Senior Rider

I had the same experience with mine. I just didn't have the faceplate on good and tight. It felt like it snapped into place but it didn't. Check that before you go any further. You have to really use some force to get it on there the first time. I had to take mine on and off a few times before I got it to work the first time. No more trouble after that.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Road Captain

I'll try it, but I pushed it very hard, a lot harder than I had to push the cheaper model I had as a test unit. I heard an audible click as I snapped it on.

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Road Captain

The face is definitely on all the way, the unit will not turn on. I find it hard to believe I got two bad radios, but it sure looks that way.

Last edited by SG-Jay; 09-15-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG-Jay View Post
The face is definitely on all the way, the unit will not turn on. I find it hard to believe I hot two bad radios, but it sure looks that way.
I've heard this same story several times over the last few months. Not good for the Aquatic! Send it back and get your money. Go Pioneer, Sony, Alpine or Kenwood and call it good.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Road Captain

Thanks Gannicus. I was hoping to hear I wasn't alone on this.
I have requested my money back. So far the retailer sent me his electrical return policy, and said the proper warranty procedure is for me to send it to Aquatic for service. I have stated I'm not interested in sending anything in for warranty, or spending my own money shipping it there, I want a full refund.
He asked me to give him a chance to speak with Aquatic.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems. Mine was just the opposite, it was all plug and play. No problems whatsoever.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:57 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Check ur fuses. I know u said u checked with a dmm but I'm still gonna bet 5 bucks u blew a fuse. Or the wiring is wrong. I installed one for a bud and the wires on the radio were labeled wrong by China.

T
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Check ur fuses. I know u said u checked with a dmm but I'm still gonna bet 5 bucks u blew a fuse. Or the wiring is wrong. I installed one for a bud and the wires on the radio were labeled wrong by China.

T
Holy S**T T!! Lol!!
Old 09-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG-Jay View Post
The face is definitely on all the way, the unit will not turn on. I find it hard to believe I got two bad radios, but it sure looks that way.
OK. I hate that for you. The weird thing with mine was that it definitely seemed to be on all the way and I heard the audible click but it still wouldn't power up. Took me a few tries before I got it to work. Other than that I was completely satisfied with it. I'm not using it anymore since I traded my Road Glide for a Heritage. If you're still interested in an Aquatic I'll send it to you for $300.

BTW: I'm assuming you already tested the radio fuse in the fuse block.

P