Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridging a XD400/4v2 Amp Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Bridging a XD400/4v2 Amp Questions

Is it possible to get "stereo" output when bridging this amp to two speakers?

The manual has this to say:

When a pair of the XD400/4v2’s channels are
operating in bridged mode, the output will be in
mono (only one channel). This mono channel can
contain only right channel information, only left
channel information, or the sum of the signals
from right and left input channels. In order to
achieve one of these options, configure the inputs
to that pair of channels in one of these two ways:

1) Left Channel Only or Right Channel Only
Information: If you wish to send a left-only or
right-only signal to a pair of the XD400/4v2’s
channels you must use a “Y-Adaptor” to split
the single channel signal into both left and
right RCA inputs of the bridged channel
pair. This option is used when deploying a pair of the XD400/4v2’s channels to drive left
channel speakers only and the other pair of the
XD400/4v2’s channels to drive right channel
speakers only.

I have a couple y-adapters, but I'm just not 100% sure how they are connected.

Do they go:
Head Unit "R" to Amp CH 1&2 and CH 3&4 "R"?
Head Unit "L" to Amp CH 1&2 and CH 3&4 "L"?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM
slythetove
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no guru but I'm not sure why you would do any of that. I have the JL M400/4 which is the marine version of that exact amp.

I run input mode 2 channel and just put the RCAs from the BT line leveler into inputs L and R for ch 1/2. I've run bridged and 4 speakers and I have stereo effects left to right in songs that contain them. If I'm wrong I am certain someone with a lot more knowledge will correct me, but that's what I have done.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Originally Posted by slythetove
I'm no guru but I'm not sure why you would do any of that. I have the JL M400/4 which is the marine version of that exact amp.

I run input mode 2 channel and just put the RCAs from the BT line leveler into inputs L and R for ch 1/2. I've run bridged and 4 speakers and I have stereo effects left to right in songs that contain them. If I'm wrong I am certain someone with a lot more knowledge will correct me, but that's what I have done.
I’m looking for 200w to each speaker, does the way you describe give me that? Also I have a Kenwood 998 so no line levelers.

Last edited by MikeTD3; 02-20-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:04 PM
slythetove
Intermediate

Bridging on the output (speaker) side is what determines that. So if you are bridging the channels you will get 200w per pair (1/2 and 3/4) and a single speaker getting that 200 from each channel pair.

I think the whole tricky stuff about left and right signal info vs mono summed when bridged is probably moot at 60mph+. I don't think you can hear enough nuance for that to matter vs just getting the full signal of the music and playing it with lots of power out of good speakers. Just my limited experience so far.

EDIT: Kenwood will still have low level RCA outs - which is really all the line leveler is providing. Same thing.

Last edited by slythetove; 02-20-2018 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MikeTD3 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Originally Posted by slythetove
Bridging on the output (speaker) side is what determines that. So if you are bridging the channels you will get 200w per pair (1/2 and 3/4) and a single speaker getting that 200 from each channel pair.

I think the whole tricky stuff about left and right signal info vs mono summed when bridged is probably moot at 60mph+. I don't think you can hear enough nuance for that to matter vs just getting the full signal of the music and playing it with lots of power out of good speakers. Just my limited experience so far.

EDIT: Kenwood will still have low level RCA outs - which is really all the line leveler is providing. Same thing.
Ahhh......now it’s starting to make sense to me.....thanks for that.

Yep.....I meant no BTs needed

Last edited by MikeTD3; 02-20-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 PM
slythetove
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeTD3
Ahhh......now it’s starting to make sense to me.....thanks for that.

Yep.....I meant no BTs needed
I'm glad to help! Believe me, 4 weeks ago none of this made any sense to me either. The folks on this forum are incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. I know for sure if I've given you any incorrect info at all they will sort that out too! One of the best forums I've ever been on honestly.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 PM
bzmannn
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default JLMX400/4 wiring trouble

I just installed the JLMX400/4 with fairing DDAW's i tried using JL wiring diagram and tried 2 bridged Mono Outputs but could only get 1 speaker to work. i then tried 2 bridged stereo output config. used both front and rear rca's off amp used y splitter between the 2 connections and the line leveler. then used + & - from all 4 channels I have both speakers working and listened to whole lotta love by zepplin seem to seems to be working fine. i still have to set gains they are very loud but thought it may be a little warmer.

just my 2 cents just piggybacking off this thread as i used it during my install process

MikeTD3 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 08:09 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Originally Posted by bzmannn
I just installed the JLMX400/4 with fairing DDAW's i tried using JL wiring diagram and tried 2 bridged Mono Outputs but could only get 1 speaker to work. i then tried 2 bridged stereo output config. used both front and rear rca's off amp used y splitter between the 2 connections and the line leveler. then used + & - from all 4 channels I have both speakers working and listened to whole lotta love by zepplin seem to seems to be working fine. i still have to set gains they are very loud but thought it may be a little warmer.

just my 2 cents just piggybacking off this thread as i used it during my install process
That’s what I ended up doing as well, it sounds great!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

With 998 you have 3 set's of RCA outputs..Front L&R...Rear L&R...Sub L&R... You would run HU Front L&R OUTPUT to amp INPUT Front L&R like normal! Same with Rear HU out L&R to amp input L&R! Now on amp speaker terminals you have (front left) FL +&- ...FR +&-...take + from FL...and- from FR to combine 2 channels into 1! do the same for rear! Easier to google a diagram for the speaker part ..bridging 4 channel amp to two speakers. NO NEED FOR Y SPLITTERS WITH 998! Hope this helps!

MikeTD3 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:49 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
With 998 you have 3 set's of RCA outputs..Front L&R...Rear L&R...Sub L&R... You would run HU Front L&R OUTPUT to amp INPUT Front L&R like normal! Same with Rear HU out L&R to amp input L&R! Now on amp speaker terminals you have (front left) FL +&- ...FR +&-...take + from FL...and- from FR to combine 2 channels into 1! do the same for rear! Easier to google a diagram for the speaker part ..bridging 4 channel amp to two speakers. NO NEED FOR Y SPLITTERS WITH 998! Hope this helps!
Thanks Mike....I think with the way you have it configured it would be stereo but using both front and rear so the fader will be n use.

I found the post below on a car forum that gives me stereo on the front channels only (head unit). This way if I decide to add lid speakers the rear channels are unaffected.

- set input switch to 4 channel (I do not have any idea why JL Audio omitted this small detail from the manual)
- get 2 Y RCA splitters
- split LC2i left RCA output into XD400/4 CH1 and CH2 RCA inputs. Bridge CH1 and CH2 outputs like your photo, that's your left SWS-8
- split LC2i right RCA output into XD400/4 CH3 and CH4 RCA inputs. Bridge CH3 and CH4 outputs like your photo, that's your right SWS-8

Thanks for the input!