Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these speakers crap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Crossbone Canuck
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Are these speakers crap?

A friend upgraded his lids and gave me his old ones for free. My question is are these speakers crap and if so who makes something to replace them that fits? I am running a Aquatic HU, Stinger SPX700 and two 6.5s in the fairing

Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 717 Likes on 567 Posts

yes they are crap, look into a set of Mmats PA690.4 cx's.
m

Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Easy answer yes, they are crap. Do some searching here and find out what you are lacking and what you need.

As good as the MMats CX series is, it is not the answer to every question that may arise. Real talk!
Whether it be budget, Fz, or power requirement.

Juice

Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 717 Likes on 567 Posts

Juice is correct, it wont hurt at all to do some homework. what is the rest of your set up?
m

Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Crossbone Canuck
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
Juice is correct, it wont hurt at all to do some homework. what is the rest of your set up?
m

When I bought the bike the PO had a Aquatic HU - AQ-MP-5UBT-HS and a set of their 6.5" Ultra speakers that he never installed but threw them in. I added a SPX700 Stinger and the system is decent enough for me.

Had not really thought about a set of speakers in the bags but I have a set of unused channels on the amp and the lids were free. Don't need to waste money but budget is not an issue.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:12 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossbone Canuck
When I bought the bike the PO had a Aquatic HU - AQ-MP-5UBT-HS and a set of their 6.5" Ultra speakers that he never installed but threw them in. I added a SPX700 Stinger and the system is decent enough for me.

Had not really thought about a set of speakers in the bags but I have a set of unused channels on the amp and the lids were free. Don't need to waste money but budget is not an issue.
Well throw the lids on with those speakers and see how they sound. At least with some power behind them. That will give you the opportunity to research some 6x9's you want.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Rockford Fosgate
Platinum Sponsor
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Good lord, somebody did a job modifying that speaker into that bag-lid. The Power T1682 is an awesome car audio speaker and works great in mobile audio applications, but it's still a CAR AUDIO speaker.

We would suggest using a Motorcycle Audio speaker such as the TMS57 which drops right into that Boom Audio bag-lid. We measured wind, road and exhaust noise on Arizona highways up to 75 MPH, then tuned all the TMS series speakers around this noise profile so you actually hear the music. Plus, it's Element Ready design combats Water, UV Rays, and Dust. Use the right speaker for the right application.

TMS57
https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/tms57/

Old 06-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockford Fosgate
Good lord, somebody did a job modifying that speaker into that bag-lid. The Power T1682 is an awesome car audio speaker and works great in mobile audio applications, but it's still a CAR AUDIO speaker.

We would suggest using a Motorcycle Audio speaker such as the TMS57 which drops right into that Boom Audio bag-lid. We measured wind, road and exhaust noise on Arizona highways up to 75 MPH, then tuned all the TMS series speakers around this noise profile so you actually hear the music. Plus, it's Element Ready design combats Water, UV Rays, and Dust. Use the right speaker for the right application.

TMS57
https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/tms57/
Wouldn't a 6x9 tuned for that application be better?

Old 06-22-2019, 10:39 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
Wouldn't a 6x9 tuned for that application be better?
They would but by looking at the pics those RF speakers are 6x8 (just oversized 5x7"s ) and the lids are designed for 5x7's. You can put a 6x9 in there but need adaptors to do so. The tms57's that RF eluded too are a direct fit for hd lids and are waterproof. I have replaced a few blown boom cvo lid speakers with them and had good success.

The following users liked this post:
Rockford Fosgate (06-24-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 06:19 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockford Fosgate
We measured wind, road and exhaust noise on Arizona highways up to 75 MPH, then tuned all the TMS series speakers around this noise profile so you actually hear the music.
Can you tell me more about how you specifically tune these speakers for 75mph in Arizona? What exhaust? Is relative humidity a factor? Would it matter what amp is it was powering these speakers in said test? Will they be out of tune at 35mph? Mostly I'm interested in the next level of speaker engineering that allows a speaker to be built around a "noise profile". This is cutting edge stuff- I must know more.

The following users liked this post:
yooperhog (06-23-2019)