Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cvo sound system

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 12:21 PM
Gilles Godin
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cvo sound system

I recently received the 4 speakers, 2 amps & wiring off a Stock 2018 CVO. Attempted to swap them with my 2017 Ultra Limited. Paid over $1000. for installation by the HD dealership to do the job. When I picked the bike up, the tech installed only one amp. Said it would require the Stage 2 speakers not the 75w speakers I had that came off the CVO. confused - The 2 Amps & speakers I had that came off the CVO. Wouldn’t they have been connected on the CVO? Why would they only connect one amp and not both? I was from the understanding that each pair of speakers required one amp. Can someone shed some light on this as it just doesn’t make sense. Also the speakers had very little improvement when done. Waste of money.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:53 PM
mrmagloo
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Total waste of money. Imho, I'd do everything you could to try to return the stuff and get your money back. With a $1,000, you can put together a enormously better system.

The following users liked this post:
wilburbill (06-23-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:57 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Sad face, ( wish you'd have came here first before you bought it...

Old 06-22-2020, 03:35 PM
boosted20v
Tourer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilles Godin
I was from the understanding that each pair of speakers required one amp. Can someone shed some light on this as it just doesn’t make sense. Also the speakers had very little improvement when done. Waste of money.
You are correct. each pair of speakers require an amp. The CVO speakers are the stage II. Tech clearly didn't know what he was doing for $1000 I'd make them fix it!

Old 06-29-2020, 07:02 PM
rlager
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Doesn't make sense to me either - but then i did a little reading. It appears that the speakers on the stock 2018 CVO limited are Stage I, not Stage II. You can tell as the Stage I speakers have a single speaker connection, while Stage II speakers have a dual connection (bi-amped). If you have two amps - you could conceivably pick up some Stage II speakers and make it work (the amps themselves are not different although they may try to tell you they are. Stage I, Stage II - it's all the same amp), but after 5 years going down the Boom Stage II road with H-D, I'd listen to these guys . On the Street Glide CVO - those are Stage II speakers, which I don't understand why Harley would cheap out on the CVO Ultra but whatever.

Ultimately the folks you took your bike to should have evaluated the parts you brought in and told you up front what the deal was before you spent a dime.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:43 PM
8track
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Don't bother

Originally Posted by boosted20v
You are correct. each pair of speakers require an amp. The CVO speakers are the stage II. Tech clearly didn't know what he was doing for $1000 I'd make them fix it!
Don't bother trying to make them fix it, it's not worth it. Even properly installed you will never be happy with that system. But if you do keep that system start stockpiling speakers because they definitely don't last and there are few, if any, acceptable aftermarket options. Good news is you can find people that will give you factory speakers for the cost of shipping.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:48 AM
boosted20v
Tourer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rlager
Doesn't make sense to me either - but then i did a little reading. It appears that the speakers on the stock 2018 CVO limited are Stage I, not Stage II. You can tell as the Stage I speakers have a single speaker connection, while Stage II speakers have a dual connection (bi-amped). If you have two amps - you could conceivably pick up some Stage II speakers and make it work (the amps themselves are not different although they may try to tell you they are. Stage I, Stage II - it's all the same amp), but after 5 years going down the Boom Stage II road with H-D, I'd listen to these guys . On the Street Glide CVO - those are Stage II speakers, which I don't understand why Harley would cheap out on the CVO Ultra but whatever.

Ultimately the folks you took your bike to should have evaluated the parts you brought in and told you up front what the deal was before you spent a dime.
Didn't pick up on the fact that you had a limited. Non Limited CVO's have the Stage II's.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:50 PM
8track
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

The 2015 CVO Limited came stock with one amp and 4 speaker Boom system. I believe 2015 is the only year with one amp.