Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony DSX-S310BTX

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Disneydave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony DSX-S310BTX

Anyone running this hu? Wat do ya think of it? Working on a full radio upgrade including amp and speakers and thinking about the Sony hu. Probably going with alpine 6.5 SPR60's and thinking about the alpine 45x4. Yes just going with the 2 speakers in the faring.
Will be installing in my 10 SG.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I think its a great HU. The quality of the sound is superior over the HK and has all the bells and whistles. I especially like the ipod in the tray which keeps the ipod charged. As far as speakers and amp, there are a bunch of folks going with the SS amp (Sound Stream) and polk MM651 speakers for the fairing.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Disneydave
Tourer

I do see a bunch of folks loving the ss amp and haven't had one in years but back a handful of years ago they SUCKED. So I'm guessing their quality has improved?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't have any experience of the older amps but the one I have now 4.520 has blown away the other amps that I tried. The man (Ultranutz) can give you all the info on SS amps both past and presence.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just upgrade to this radio last month from a older Sony HU. The bluetooth connection works and sound great. Im running the SS 520 amp with this radio.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

the only caveat to just about any aftermarket head unit is going to be the display being barely or not readable at all during the day and while riding. I never look at the display so it doesn't bother me. That's what handlebar controls are for.

I had one (DSX-S310BTX) on my 09 Ultra for 2+ years, seen plenty of rain, etc. with no problems whatsoever. Was still working perfectly and cosmetically when I traded the bike in back in August.

If the display is a deal-breaker for you, check out the marine head units as they have a tad bit better display but really not that much better, but comes at the sacrifice of features you would otherwise get with a non-marine grade unit.

DragonFly Cycle Concepts is about to introduce a new head unit, that if it works, looks, installs as described to me will probably revolutionize the head unit world for Harley bikes being 100% plug and play with no external modules and it's IP66 rated meaning you can literally power it up, drop it in a bowl of water and it will continue to play without issue under water but don't expect it to be cheap. However if you think about it from the perspective of buying a decent aftermarket radio @ say $150, then adding a handlebar control module/kit @ roughly $220 it won't be that bad of a sticker shock. I anticipate this head unit to come in around the $600+ price range.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Molarman
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
the only caveat to just about any aftermarket head unit is going to be the display being barely or not readable at all during the day and while riding. I never look at the display so it doesn't bother me. That's what handlebar controls are for.

I had one (DSX-S310BTX) on my 09 Ultra for 2+ years, seen plenty of rain, etc. with no problems whatsoever. Was still working perfectly and cosmetically when I traded the bike in back in August.

If the display is a deal-breaker for you, check out the marine head units as they have a tad bit better display but really not that much better, but comes at the sacrifice of features you would otherwise get with a non-marine grade unit.

DragonFly Cycle Concepts is about to introduce a new head unit, that if it works, looks, installs as described to me will probably revolutionize the head unit world for Harley bikes being 100% plug and play with no external modules and it's IP66 rated meaning you can literally power it up, drop it in a bowl of water and it will continue to play without issue under water but don't expect it to be cheap. However if you think about it from the perspective of buying a decent aftermarket radio @ say $150, then adding a handlebar control module/kit @ roughly $220 it won't be that bad of a sticker shock. I anticipate this head unit to come in around the $600+ price range.
This is what I'm waiting for.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 PM
stressed350
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed it on my 2010 Street Glide great unit with the SS 4.520D amp.
Lots of great options.
Bluetooth to my Samsung Galaxy 2 works perfect.
The display is hard to read as UltraNutz states, Using the Biketronics handlebar controls keeps yours eyes on the road were they belong. I would definitely recommend it.
Installed Pic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amzgo3e4os...2018.19.40.jpg

Here is a review link I found on You tube