Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGGorman's 99 Wide Glide build thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:08 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Anything you do to get rid of a torx fastener makes you a hero in my book.

: Mike
I seem to one of the few here that doesn't mind Torx. I am a phillips hater, tho.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:34 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

whatever they are - I hate them when they strip

Old 02-26-2017, 05:16 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Got the headlight brackets and Alloyboltz today...

Not sure who the original manufacturer is on these. They seem to be British based on my Googling. I got them from eBay from speedmotoco. They're nice anodized billet aluminum and appear to have stainless hardware. Not bad for $65. They fit the 49mm tubes perfectly.

Beautiful, as usual. Nice custom rear caliper pins.

Also got the TTIs the other day.

damn alloy boltz. I didnt know they existed when i bought the hardware for my engine rebuild. Wish i did. I guess i still could. Hmm

Old 02-26-2017, 05:25 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
damn alloy boltz. I didnt know they existed when i bought the hardware for my engine rebuild. Wish i did. I guess i still could. Hmm
Their engine kit is great! It's packaged the same way. Everything clearly labeled and separated. I also like they are veteran owned. I put together a spreadsheet with all the bolts and the prices for different suppliers. Jegs is cheaper per bolt but you have to buy in increments of 5 so you often spend more on the bottom line and have a pile of extra (& expensive) bolts. I ordered some ARP stuff from Jegs but the vast majority came from Alloyboltz. I had to get the 2 big 1/2x2-3/4 riser bolts from Jegs because AB didn't have anything that big in their bulk bolt listings. Was like $35 for 5 bolts and I only need 2, so I may list the unused ones on ebay or something.

Originally Posted by SixDD
whatever they are - I hate them when they strip
Right! That's why I hate phillips.

Last edited by cggorman; 02-26-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:27 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Angry

Their engine kit is great! It's packaged the same way. Everything clearly labeled and separated. I also like they are veteran owned. I put together a spreadsheet with all the bolts and the prices for different suppliers. Jegs is cheaper per bolt but you have to buy in increments of 5 so you often spend more on the bottom line and have a pile of extra (& expensive) bolts. I ordered some ARP stuff from Jegs but the vast majority came from Alloyboltz. I had to get the 2 big 1/2x2-3/4 riser bolts from Jegs because AB didn't have anything that big in their bulk bolt listings. Was like $35 for 5 bolts and I only need 2, so I may list the unused ones on ebay or something.

agreed, that's why i'm a little pev'd, had no idea until WKNDS popped up with his kit

i bought garden-wescott and hd ...truth be told, it all cost less than $25(the bolt kits, not the other stuff) but, i'm still salty about the AB sets:

Old 02-26-2017, 07:16 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

I seem to one of the few here that doesn't mind Torx. I am a phillips hater, tho.
I don't mind Torx either, but c'mon... phillips worse than slotted?

But i guess on the bike we don't see many slotted...We could always add a wood screw or two...maybe to hold your seat covering to your plywood base

Last edited by multihdrdr; 02-26-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:23 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
I don't mind Torx either, but c'mon... phillips worse than slotted?
For me, damaged slots are easier to repair, but severely damaged examples of either suck to remove. I replaced all my Mikuni screws with hex socket. All were slotted. I damaged several of the OE slots during teardown. I've read that the phillips profile was intentionally designed to limit applied torque by causing the bit to cam out. JIS cross is supposedly better, but I seldom work on equipment with JIS cross and don't have any JIS drivers.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Stripping Phillips?...you need one of these in your toolbox (when/where it can be used)

Old 02-26-2017, 07:27 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

That's actually a really good idea. I've looked at impact drivers but never picked one up. Always see them when I'm not pissed at a screw.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:33 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

For smallish screws (say #12 and under), I prefer Torx, hex/Allen, or square/Robertson. I seldom strip one (with hex being most common, mostly due to cheap drivers or fasteners) and the fasteners resist falling off the driver when working in recessed area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CGGorman's 99 Wide Glide build thread